Smoke tests

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
Chip

Smoke tests

Post by Chip »

So, I've been playing with smoke particles and this is what I've got. I used the smoke grenade from MauveBib's tutorial and it looks nice. Combined with Darkplaces, it should look nicer. I'm looking however inside the QMB source to see if the smoke can be enhanced. I might need some Z feathering and some volumetric effects. Fake, of course. I'd also need some fade in and fade out for the emitter.

Oh, I'm neck deep into QuakeC, but I'm sure I'll have to dig a little inside the engine's C code in order to achieve some realistic effects.

The fire effect from QMB is also spectacular, and it doesn't seem to be created using QC at all.

Question: How do I replace spr/spr32 sprite files with PNG? Or TGA? The QuakeC says:

Code: Select all

setmodel(mysmokefx,"progs/smoke.spr32");
If I replace it with a PNG file it complains that it's not a valid model. I know it isn't but I don't know how to add it as a valid PNG/TGA. Don't tell me to use a replacement texture like smoke.spr32_0.tga because it doesn't work.

Image Image Image Image Image Image
QuakeWiki
getButterfly - WordPress Support Services
Roo Holidays

Fear not the dark, but what the dark hides.
worldspawn

Post by worldspawn »

offtopic: nice clientside hud :)
Chip

Post by Chip »

worldspawn wrote:offtopic: nice clientside hud :)
I simplified it a lot since those screenshots were taken. The interface is taking shape day by day. Or week by week, as I find time to work on it. It's gonna be a horror adventure.
QuakeWiki
Roo Holidays

MauveBib

Post by MauveBib »

The method I used in that smoke grenade is actually pretty ugly and slow; I only used it because it was required to work with all engines.

If you're looking a DP specific smoke I seriously recommend using effectinfo.txt to make particle-based smoke. Here's an example:

Apathy Now!
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

lol lefty looks funny =p cool smoke though!
Chip

Post by Chip »

MauveBib wrote:The method I used in that smoke grenade is actually pretty ugly and slow; I only used it because it was required to work with all engines.

If you're looking a DP specific smoke I seriously recommend using effectinfo.txt to make particle-based smoke. Here's an example:
OK, I got squad, let me see what I can come up with. Thanks.
QuakeWiki
Roo Holidays

MauveBib

Post by MauveBib »

Actually I don't think I ever released the version of Squad with the smoke etc. I'll dig it out today.
Apathy Now!
Chip

Post by Chip »

MauveBib wrote:Actually I don't think I ever released the version of Squad with the smoke etc. I'll dig it out today.
That would be great. I'll be around pressing F5.

EDIT: Any luck finding that code, Mauve?
QuakeWiki
Roo Holidays

Chip

Smoke Test 3

Post by Chip »

I've been playing with the particle effects in Darkplaces last night, and I changed my previous smoke FX, which was rather ugly.

This new test shows the particles, and the view alignment, as it's different from the previous, which used sprites and turned around trying to match your camera view. That's what a sprite does.

http://www.vimeo.com/6980647

I'll be tweaking the effect some more until I get the desired effect, than I'll move on to fire.

As the weapons are done (I still have to draw some hand textures), I'll move on to finish particles.

Sparks are done, smoke is almost there, and the rest will follow.
QuakeWiki
Roo Holidays

MauveBib

Post by MauveBib »

Yep, that's the sort of thing I used in Squad. Be careful not to make the smoke too thick or it goes solid white in the center, and of course bear in mind that the particles aren't affected by lighting.
Apathy Now!
Chip

Post by Chip »

MauveBib wrote:Yep, that's the sort of thing I used in Squad. Be careful not to make the smoke too thick or it goes solid white in the center, and of course bear in mind that the particles aren't affected by lighting.
I noticed the white thickness in the center, and it doesn't seem to be affected by light. Thanks. More tests to come. ;)
QuakeWiki
Roo Holidays

Chip

Fire tests completed

Post by Chip »

:shock:

I got the smoke settled out and I moved on to fire. I got 2 fire types by now: campfire and inferno fire.

The campfire can be put above some wood pieces, and the inferno fire can be put above rubble or destroyed areas.

Eye candy for you, guys:

http://www.vimeo.com/6994342
http://www.vimeo.com/6994385
http://www.vimeo.com/6994410
http://www.vimeo.com/6994466
http://www.vimeo.com/6994514

I still have to do the zig-zagging sparks above the fire.

Next I'll do the torch fire and that's it. I'll have several custom fire types for the game though, but these 3 types (campfire, inferno and torch) will be final.

Stay tuned for more!

By the way, how could I embed videos from Vimeo? The embed code would show the HTML instead of the embedded video.
QuakeWiki
Roo Holidays

ceriux

Post by ceriux »

sexy is that all particles?
xaGe

Post by xaGe »

Nice looking smoke & fire particles.. 8)
Chip

Post by Chip »

ceriux wrote:sexy is that all particles?
Yes, DarkPlaces particles. More to come.
QuakeWiki
Roo Holidays