Solid Textures and Liquids

Discuss programming topics for the various GPL'd game engine sources.
Team Xlink

Solid Textures and Liquids

Post by Team Xlink »

Solved.
Last edited by Team Xlink on Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Downsider

Post by Downsider »

I don't think anyone knows what you're talking about?

Do you mean to have simple untextured colored walls, or something altogether different?

Assuming you're working with the PSP, you can color the vertexes and check against a cvar

Code: Select all

sceGuEnable(GU_TEXTURE_2D);
Where it says that right before you render world textures, do something like

if (cl_textures_enabled) {
  sceGuEnable(GU_TEXTURE_2D);
} else {
  sceGuDisable(GU_TEXTURE_2D);
}
I'd hardly call it blisteringly difficult :O

Then you could assign each texture name a different solid color when the map is loaded, so you don't have to see either all single-colored polygons or flashing colors.
Electro

Post by Electro »

r_picmip 10
Benjamin Darling
http://www.bendarling.net/

Reflex - In development competitive arena fps combining modern tech with the speed, precision and freedom of 90's shooters.
http://www.reflexfps.net/
r00k

Post by r00k »

in DrawGLPoly in gl_surf.c,

change, or add a cvar to toggle..,

glTexCoord2f (v[3], v[4]);
with

glTexCoord2f (0, 0);
Downsider

Post by Downsider »

Electro wrote:r_picmip 10
r_picmip isn't a GLQuake default, and he's obviously making his own engine here, so he'll be asking a tutorial on that next if you tell him that :P
mh

Post by mh »

OK.

I think you might be in a little over your head here. You've asked a lot of questions lately, some of them have been basic stuff and some have been major overhauls of the engine. I'm starting to think that you want to jump ahead to some advanced stuff when you don't seem to have the basic knowledge down yet.

My advice is to sit down with a blank file/empty project/whatever, get a good basic OpenGL tutorial (there are plenty on the web) and work with that. Get a triangle on the screen, texture it, light it, make it spin. Play with the various parameters and see what the effect is, then understand why that happened.

Then take a basic Quake build on Windows or Linux and make small modifications. Fix up some texturing bugs if that's your thing, or change the physics, sound or other code. Build up from there. 3D and game engine programming can be both incredibly easy and incredibly hard, and if you let the incredibly easy bits lure you in too far, you'll end up badly bitten when you come to the incredibly hard ones.

It's great to see the ambition coming out, but if you try to run before you can walk you'll end up with a release that's fairly badly botched and will probably need rewriting in 6 months time when you understand things better. Take it from someone who's been there - it's a humbling experience to be making all of your early mistakes in public.

All meant well. ;)
We had the power, we had the space, we had a sense of time and place
We knew the words, we knew the score, we knew what we were fighting for
Team Xlink

Post by Team Xlink »

Thank you.

I found out what I was doing wrong.

It turns out the way I setup, I had made a mistake so it always returned false and not true.
Electro

Post by Electro »

Sorry, gl_picmip 10

It's already implemented in standard glquake. It simply forces what mip level to use.
Benjamin Darling

Reflex - In development competitive arena fps combining modern tech with the speed, precision and freedom of 90's shooters.
Downsider

Post by Downsider »

mh wrote:OK.

I think you might be in a little over your head here. You've asked a lot of questions lately, some of them have been basic stuff and some have been major overhauls of the engine. I'm starting to think that you want to jump ahead to some advanced stuff when you don't seem to have the basic knowledge down yet.

My advice is to sit down with a blank file/empty project/whatever, get a good basic OpenGL tutorial (there are plenty on the web) and work with that. Get a triangle on the screen, texture it, light it, make it spin. Play with the various parameters and see what the effect is, then understand why that happened.

Then take a basic Quake build on Windows or Linux and make small modifications. Fix up some texturing bugs if that's your thing, or change the physics, sound or other code. Build up from there. 3D and game engine programming can be both incredibly easy and incredibly hard, and if you let the incredibly easy bits lure you in too far, you'll end up badly bitten when you come to the incredibly hard ones.

It's great to see the ambition coming out, but if you try to run before you can walk you'll end up with a release that's fairly badly botched and will probably need rewriting in 6 months time when you understand things better. Take it from someone who's been there - it's a humbling experience to be making all of your early mistakes in public.

All meant well. ;)
Bawhawhawhaw I've been saying (or at least thinking) this for a while. Then again, I act like a douchebag all the time so it's great that somebody else picks up the slack.
metlslime

Post by metlslime »

See, i disagree....

building an opengl game project from scratch is a lot of work and you won't get any gratificaition for a while. And even when you finally do, it's something pointless like spinning green triangles.

using the quake engine as a base and adding features that you are actually excited about, gives three benefits:

1. the results are meaningful to you

2. you're starting with a fully-functional base, which lets you do very small changes and see instant results

3. you have a working model to study and learn from
Downsider

Post by Downsider »

See, i disagree....

building an opengl game project from scratch is a lot of work and you won't get any gratificaition for a while. And even when you finally do, it's something pointless like spinning green triangles.

using the quake engine as a base and adding features that you are actually excited about, gives three benefits:

1. the results are meaningful to you

2. you're starting with a fully-functional base, which lets you do very small changes and see instant results

3. you have a working model to study and learn from
But:

1) You have no understanding of anything you did.

2) You think you're far better than you actually are.

3) You can't sell your shit.

4) Because of 1 & 2, you'll try porting to another platform and fail.

5) You're a tutorial whore.
Last edited by Downsider on Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MauveBib

Post by MauveBib »

Whatever private agenda you have, keep it to PMs and not in the forum.
Apathy Now!
Electro

Post by Electro »

Disgusting behavior Downsider.
Benjamin Darling

Downsider

Post by Downsider »

I think you've misunderstood?

I wasn't talking about XLink, I was talking about people who do this in general. You, by yourself, have done the assumption that You're a tutorial whore. was directed toward XLink.
Supa

Post by Supa »

What difference does it make? Personal attacks have no place here.