Looking for a QC coder

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
SamUK

Looking for a QC coder

Post by SamUK »

Hey guys ,

I am currently making a mod for the psp Halo solitude , we are lacking a coder as our last coder (downsider , was great) left. Here's the latest re-cap video showing the models we are planning to use , if you think and want to help please do.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=tvNp38Hr7bk

Head on over to www.halosolitude.com ( We are currently having some problems with it so if it doesn't work visit www.haloportable.tk) thanks alot.
Hope to hear from someone soon
Last edited by SamUK on Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Working on Solitude
Urre

Post by Urre »

Why did Downsider leave?
I was once a Quake modder
r00k

Post by r00k »

Looks like this project is also lacking a texture artist and a modeler, too.

Seeing as this is a complete "toss" off HALO, (even the name is copyright property), I can only say sucks to be you. But if you really have the balls to pursue this and commit you can change the name and start coding some gameplay. But as you own a PSP, maybe you are just trying to get some 7th grade ego. :( Wow now that's a "Cheap-Alert" ;)

Post by SamUK »

If you must know there are currently 9 people developing it , and we have people that made successful mods such as the PDS mod (perfect dark source mod).

We have the ability to make high poly models and high textures but we dont because we are trying something different, trying to develop for the psp ,which means we have some limitations. If you talking about the maps there are just test maps. And the name halo isnt trade marked , a halo is a ring , what is trade marked is what is in halo.Halo : Combat evolved , halo 3 and halo 3 are names that are owned by Microsoft , i have done my research .Don't act like an ass.

PS:r00k our texture artist and modelers are probably better then you so i would watch who you flame (and i have seen some of your models) , might make you look stupid .....I am new the the forums so i don't really want to start off with a bad reputation.I don't know you so i don't really want to offend you but it theirs no need to assume something is shit before you have actually tried it.You may think the models are crap and textures are bad but look at other psp games , we are working for performance as well.It is still very early ... so don't think this represents the final game at all ...

Back on topic

Edit : did you actually check this out , because there is a really bad mod called jalo and you might be confused with that.
Working on Solitude
Baker

Post by Baker »

SamUK wrote:PS:r00k our texture artist and modelers are probably better then you so i would watch who you flame (and i have seen some of your models) , might make you look stupid .....
Rook is an engine coder and a QuakeC coder. Not modeler.
I am new the the forums so i don't really want to start off with a bad reputation.
I can understand someone being defensive when their project gets teased, so putting that aside ...

I think the main problem that you would have is most QuakeC coders care a great deal about project ethics.

A project using the trademarked name Halo and using a domain name with the Halo name in it will probably represent a pretty big barrier to getting an experienced QuakeC guy for a project.

Most experienced coders have a number of things they could be doing and usually don't tend to associate with projects that are not on a strong moral footing.

I'm not critiquing your project. I'm just trying to explain in context what will no doubt be a big hurdle.
MauveBib

Post by MauveBib »

Baker is correct, most QC coders have issues with working on IP infringing projects.

Please ignore my Starship Troopers, South Park and Lexx mods.
Apathy Now!
Downsider

Post by Downsider »

MauveBib wrote: Please ignore my Starship Troopers, South Park and Lexx mods.
Oi, what's that?

*Zooms*
MauveBib wrote: Please ignore my Starship Troopers, South Park and Lexx mods.
:roll:
MauveBib

Post by MauveBib »

lies.
Apathy Now!
GiffE

Post by GiffE »

You might have to learn to do the coding yourself.
Its easy enough to learn... and well for a project which is at risk of being shut down, it might be difficult to find a qc coder.

r00k is a very skilled coder, not all coders are great artists...
xaGe

Post by xaGe »

..I KNEW IT! I too had my interest peeked when I saw that tagline...lol :lol:
MauveBib wrote:lies.
Electro

Post by Electro »

I'm an artist and can program. I believe freak of nature is the term. :S
Benjamin Darling
http://www.bendarling.net/

Reflex - In development competitive arena fps combining modern tech with the speed, precision and freedom of 90's shooters.
http://www.reflexfps.net/
SamUK

Post by SamUK »

I was not saying that r00k is not skilled , i am just saying that there is no need to really go on the offensive about the project.

There is a very tiny chance that we will get a C&D , and if we do its a basic matter of changing the name.Since we made everything from scratch were safe.

Well I guess there is nobody here willing to help then , any suggestions anybody ?

I was sent some pictures of r00ks models , he is quite good.
Working on Solitude
Baker

Post by Baker »

It looks like you are mostly trying to setup a basic deathmatch mod with some different weapons.

If you have the .mdl version of the models animated [the non-weapon ones ... particularly the player], then you would need to code the animation frames and then some other fun stuff.

In player.qc you'd start with coding the frame sequences for player model:

http://www.inside3d.com/browse.php?show=player.qc

I'm not much of QuakeC guy myself, but regardless of whether or not someone comes forward to volunteer, most of the people here are very helpful when it comes to helping with QuakeC questions if you tell them what you are having trouble with.
MauveBib

Post by MauveBib »

SamUK wrote: There is a very tiny chance that we will get a C&D , and if we do its a basic matter of changing the name.Since we made everything from scratch were safe.
It's not about getting caught, it's about the ethics of copying IP in the first place.

Since the GPL release of the quake source this has become something of a haven for open-source, IP free projects. You will struggle to find anyone willing to work on an infringing project.
Apathy Now!
IlDucci

Post by IlDucci »

Err... is it just me, or people are thinking on different things? There's two halo projects for the PSP, Jomart Halo's and the one this topic is about, Halo Solitude. Don't mix one with the other.