Direct 3D 9.0c Quake

Discuss programming topics for the various GPL'd game engine sources.
=peg=

Post by =peg= »

independent water/lava/slime/tele alpha sliders
I'd thought about something like that but it seems too fiddly. Some people will want full control over each, some will want just a single cvar for everything; I think the way I have it is a reasonable compromise. If I can think of another way I'll see what can be done, but no promises.
how about a "master" slider that controls the overall translucency of all liguids, and sub sliders for all individual liquids.. much like the master volume slider on sound mixers..

Then if someone just wants everything translucent he can adjust the master-slider and if someone likes to tweak it more, he can adjust the individual sliders..

just an idea..
mh

Post by mh »

=peg= wrote:
independent water/lava/slime/tele alpha sliders
I'd thought about something like that but it seems too fiddly. Some people will want full control over each, some will want just a single cvar for everything; I think the way I have it is a reasonable compromise. If I can think of another way I'll see what can be done, but no promises.
how about a "master" slider that controls the overall translucency of all liguids, and sub sliders for all individual liquids.. much like the master volume slider on sound mixers..

Then if someone just wants everything translucent he can adjust the master-slider and if someone likes to tweak it more, he can adjust the individual sliders..

just an idea..
That was another idea on the list, and it's probably one of the more sensible ones. A "Lock Sliders" option would also be there, and would appeal to me more as it seems it would be easier to replicate default GLQuake behaviour with it.
We had the power, we had the space, we had a sense of time and place
We knew the words, we knew the score, we knew what we were fighting for
mh

Post by mh »

mh wrote:A "Lock Sliders" option would also be there, and would appeal to me more as it seems it would be easier to replicate default GLQuake behaviour with it.
Done. :D

Expect 1.5 any day now... ;)
mh

Post by mh »

Aaaaaand (drum roll, maestro) ... 1.5!

http://mhquake.blogspot.com/2009/03/been-while.html
xaGe

Post by xaGe »

Nice stuff.. Thank you.
Chip

Bugs to report

Post by Chip »

Nice to see you back. I started wondering if real-life took you forever. I got some bugs to report. The first one is NailGun and LightningGun lighting effects. They seem to be tearing the screen. I tried to take some screenshots while firing but I couldn't. While firing the NailGun, the screen has a jerky movement and light appears in horizontal stripes. The same with the LG.

When exiting the first level (E1M1), Quake crashed with the "DirectQ.exe encountered an error an needs to close..." message.

Resolution changing works perfectly for me. I would like, however, just like in other games, first to set the resolution and then click an "Apply" button. I'm not sure about that either, but I've seen it in many modern games.

Great job. Hope to see more changes/additions/features soon.
QuakeWiki
getButterfly - WordPress Support Services
Roo Holidays

Fear not the dark, but what the dark hides.
xaGe

Re: Bugs to report

Post by xaGe »

..I've not seen any of the things Chip has, but I do agree with him on resolution switching. I don't like at all how the resolution switches just by browsing the different res settings. I would much prefer to select a setting and then hitting apply manually to switch that resolution as the way in many other game engines DP, EZQ, Q2, Q3, D3, Q4, etc..
Chip wrote:Resolution changing works perfectly for me. I would like, however, just like in other games, first to set the resolution and then click an "Apply" button. I'm not sure about that either, but I've seen it in many modern games.

Great job. Hope to see more changes/additions/features soon.
mh

Post by mh »

Agreed, I don't like it either. :D

To be honest, menu support was a last-minute addition which was just tested to ensure that it didn't crash; most of the real testing and work was done in the console (using the various vid_ commands and cvars).

For the muzzleflashes, and if memory serves, r_rapidfire 0 will revert it to normal behaviour.
xaGe

Post by xaGe »

..That was my guess and why I didn't even mention it untill someone else did... :lol: Good to know though...
mh wrote:To be honest, menu support was a last-minute addition which was just tested to ensure that it didn't crash
mh

Post by mh »

1.6 is out: http://mhquake.blogspot.com/2009/06/rel ... ready.html

SourceForge is being a total pain again, so I've stuck it onto RapidShare for the time being. I'll move it to SF when it stops being broken.
Chip

Post by Chip »

Yay, thanks. I was looking forward for a new release.

Let's see what's new :wink:
QuakeWiki
getButterfly - WordPress Support Services
Roo Holidays

Fear not the dark, but what the dark hides.
mh

Post by mh »

Oooops - the Draw_TileClear function in the released version clamps the texture instead of wrapping it. :oops:

I'm going to leave it be for now and fix it for the move to SF.

Edit: 1.6.1 - http://mhquake.blogspot.com/2009/06/rel ... s-out.html

Edit: 1.6.2 - http://mhquake.blogspot.com/2009/06/rel ... s-out.html

It's that time again. ;) http://mhquake.blogspot.com/2009/07/163 ... table.html
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

Just tried this on my Win98SE Machine. Won't run because it says it expects a more current version of windows. :/
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Dr. Shadowborg wrote:Just tried this on my Win98SE Machine. Won't run because it says it expects a more current version of windows. :/
Well considering you can't even install 9.0c (note the c) on Win9X, the target platform is out of the question unfortunately. Hey, I can't get anything newer than 7 on my 486 either, even in Windows 2000. (Win2k on a 486 is not a typo. I even had the patience to run Cinebench r10)
i should not be here
r00k

Post by r00k »

(side note)
Wait! Cheapy, how much money DO you want to make a fully
animated player model fro Quake1????!

I mean basic normal tough guy, something that would appeal to the average HUMANOID!!