Making a Quake MDL in Blender: for dummies, NOT TOTAL MORONS

Discuss the creation of various model formats for Quake engines, and related matters to modeling.
EMR

We can't acess pak2.zip

Post by EMR »

Phenom wrote:I'm guessing they must have recently included admin approval for registration.

I'm currently waiting for my approval to attempt MDL support in Blender!

Thanks for the guide!
The link to the forum thread isn't working, would someone (kindly) post a link to "pak2.zip", and documentation?
Bluntz

Re: Making a Quake MDL in Blender: for dummies, NOT TOTAL MO

Post by Bluntz »

Phen I assume you found the export script? If not I had posted it at quakeone along with a script for generating keyframes for the animations,msg me if you never got it.
r00k

Re: We can't acess pak2.zip

Post by r00k »

EMR wrote:
Phenom wrote:I'm guessing they must have recently included admin approval for registration.

I'm currently waiting for my approval to attempt MDL support in Blender!

Thanks for the guide!
The link to the forum thread isn't working, would someone (kindly) post a link to "pak2.zip", and documentation?
for the engine to access pak2 there must be a pak1 and pak0, if you only have a pak0 then having a pak2 will be ignored.

Bu tI think the real question was where's the hack models pak2 ?
qbism

Post by qbism »

Might want to try the newer mdl export script from QuakeForge, it works with latest Blender. Confirmed it, but haven't tried an animated model yet.
mankrip

Re: We can't acess pak2.zip

Post by mankrip »

r00k wrote:for the engine to access pak2 there must be a pak1 and pak0, if you only have a pak0 then having a pak2 will be ignored.
Some custom engines doesn't have that limitation. Makaqu always loads all files following the PAK#.PAK naming convention (like the PAK10.PAK file that comes with it), and as far as I know Darkplaces loads any PAK file regardless of naming.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
Bluntz

Post by Bluntz »

Unless I missed something you do not need the pak2 just the export script that was included with it.
I upped it here if you need it.http://www54.zippyshare.com/v/2710934/file.html
Here is a script to generate the keyframes for animations from a rigged model making the QME work very light.http://www62.zippyshare.com/v/23587858/file.html
Thanks for the blender help,I had success and should have posted this but got distracted.
This workflow worked in 2.49b just fine but a few things need to be done as well.I had to triangulte the quads from the mesh menu and assign a material as well as a texture.Save the uv layout from the uv editor panel as tga and then you can edit it and use a higher resolution with many engines.Pay close attention to the tutorial process given such as the mesh has to be selected and textured and on the last frame of animation to export properly.Also set the recording to 10 fps and limit to 8 frames.Here is a shot of Phens player model that I reworked a bit and loaded in the vanilla quake engine.
taniwha

Post by taniwha »

Bluntz: looks nice, and I'm glad you got blender to work for you.

If you're interested in 2.63+ support, try this addon. I need to check whether it works with the very latest blender, but I expect it will.
Leave others their otherness.
http://quakeforge.net/
Bluntz

Post by Bluntz »

Thank you, it works!
taniwha

Post by taniwha »

Ah, cool. I did give it a very brief test yesterday once I got svn blender building and the addon loaded without obvious problems. The map addon I'm working on is another matter: template_list changed, and it seems there are other issues, too.

I'm open to suggestions for improvement, though for only suggestions, you might have to wait until I find some round twits ;). (actually, I've been known to drop what I'm doing for what appears to be a simple enhancement (sometimes took a week or two) just because I'd gotten frustrated with what I was doing)
Leave others their otherness.
http://quakeforge.net/
Naykin

Post by Naykin »

What should be the parameters of the model? I just tried to export a cube and that's what gave me the Blender:
Image And SO with all scripts!
Naykin

Post by Naykin »

Nobody can't help?
qbism

Post by qbism »

Maybe it needs to be textured?
Naykin

Post by Naykin »

Maybe, i dont speak eng.((
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

Have you tried selecting all objects before attempting export?

Also, are you using the Taniwha / QuakeForge Export Script?
qbism

Post by qbism »

That is the Quakeforge script. The texture map does not have a name, uvmap.name. The error might mean that the model does not have a texture mapped.

Put a texture on the cube and make sure the texture has a name.