Wacko game changing

Discuss programming topics for the various GPL'd game engine sources.
mh

Wacko game changing

Post by mh »

It's possible for stock ID Quake to have up to 4 games loaded simultaneously - glquake.exe -rogue -hipnotic -game mygame will load ID1, rogue, hipnotic and whatever mygame is into the filesystem.

Now, some may think this is a cool feature, but it makes me shudder with revulsion. There are all sorts of things that could go wrong in such a configuration - assuming it even manages to load without crashing - with running a rogue map with the hipnotic progs.dat being the least of them.

I'd like to remove support for this craziness, but I'm cautious about what I might break. Where I'm currently coming from is: (1) disallowing support for both -rogue and -hipnotic - you can only pick one; (2) allowing -rogue OR -hipnotic together with -game from the command-line (assuming that if you go to the trouble of typing it, that's what you want, and you're prepared to take the consequences yourself); and (3) disallowing an additional game on top of rogue or hipnotic from the menus and console (for in-game switching), the rationale here being keeping things simple.

I'm interested in any comments modders might have on this approach, or anything relating to this "feature" at all. :D
We had the power, we had the space, we had a sense of time and place
We knew the words, we knew the score, we knew what we were fighting for
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

AFAIK some partial conversions (not sure if Quoth falls in this category) requires the -hipnotic command line option because the status bar stuff.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
Baker

Re: Wacko game changing

Post by Baker »

Just wait until you find out that there a map out there that used that functionality.

In fact, I think Masque of the Red Death does ...

http://tronyn.planetquake.gamespy.com/oldnews3.htm

The command line is "-hipnotic -game masque" and the readme says it requires Mission Pack 1, so it has to be using both hipnotic and masque gamedirs (plus id1).
Lardarse

Re: Wacko game changing

Post by Lardarse »

Baker wrote:Just wait until you find out that there a map out there that used that functionality.

In fact, I think Masque of the Red Death does ...

http://tronyn.planetquake.gamespy.com/oldnews3.htm

The command line is "-hipnotic -game masque" and the readme says it requires Mission Pack 1, so it has to be using both hipnotic and masque gamedirs (plus id1).
It only used it for the progs.dat though. A later release had its own included.

Quoth (and Lost Chapters) use the SoA hud (and so the communication differences).