What are you working on?

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
Urre

Post by Urre »

Hope you add hands which do the climb motion, and so. Totally awesome for immersion. Looking real sweet mate
I was once a Quake modder
Wazat

Post by Wazat »

What I'm working on:

For QExpo I'm doing a Dungeons and Dragons campaign based on Quake (including weapons, monsters, monster infighting, etc). It's probably an unholy combination, but it's cool to me. :D

http://qexpo.tastyspleen.net/booth.php?id=163

It's a nice break from writing code. ;)
When my computer inevitably explodes and kills me, my cat inherits everything I own. He may be the only one capable of continuing my work.
GiffE

Post by GiffE »

Urre wrote:Hope you add hands which do the climb motion, and so. Totally awesome for immersion. Looking real sweet mate
I really hope to do some hands + feet. But I'm really quite terrible at modeling and animating, so I'm going to polish the code to the best of my abilities.

Another video (First one on the page):
http://giffe-bin.net/media.php?type=2

It shows how you can use wall jumping in combination with the ledge grab/climbing to get up tall walls.
Not much changed since last video just fixes, last video didn't do much to show wall jump nor any combo's so.

I'd really like to get the swing down but I'm quite stumped.
Urre

Post by Urre »

I'd suggest you fake the swing by making the bar you can latch on to an entity, which automaticly sets you into "swing state" if you touch it with enough force from the correct angle, rather than having it be regular geometry.
GiffE

Post by GiffE »

Urre wrote:I'd suggest you fake the swing by making the bar you can latch on to an entity, which automatically sets you into "swing state" if you touch it with enough force from the correct angle, rather than having it be regular geometry.
I was actually able to get the "swing state" with regular geometry,
Basically by checking if the player is about to be in the "hanging state", then running a tracebox in front of him to see if he can swing forward without slamming his face into a wall or something
But the swing motion is really what I'm stuck on. I don't know how to adjust his angle based on speed and then release him with the correct velocity.

I did regular geometry for now to make it "mapper friendly".
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

Cool! Add a web slinger and a couple city-based maps and bang!, Spider Man Quake! :D
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
GiffE

Post by GiffE »

Full Body Quakeguy:
(uses: DP_SV_DRAWONLYTOCLIENT)
SusanMDK

Post by SusanMDK »

Ha! That's good :)
zbang!
MeTcHsteekle

Post by MeTcHsteekle »

!!!

i was thinking of makeing you see legs, but i dident know how i was gonna do it

also, does this work in DP only, or does it work with other clients?
bah
Wazat

Post by Wazat »

That's really cool. It's something way too many FPS games lack. I think it's cool to be able to see yourself when you look down instead of being a ghost.
When my computer inevitably explodes and kills me, my cat inherits everything I own. He may be the only one capable of continuing my work.
Lardarse

Post by Lardarse »

MeTcHsteekle wrote:also, does this work in DP only, or does it work with other clients?
Requires DP_SV_DRAWONLYTOCLIENT, so find another engine that supports that method...
MeTcHsteekle

Post by MeTcHsteekle »

Requires DP_SV_DRAWONLYTOCLIENT, so find another engine that supports that method...
oh hmm

is there a hacky unstabe way that will work with those that don't?
bah
Urre

Post by Urre »

One way that works for non-DP, but which I don't recommend as it requires tags (engine feature) or just plain magic to actually look good, is viewing the world from a chasecam-like thing, except it's slightly infront of the head, which will mean if you look down you'll see the legs. It obviously won't work in multiplayer, because the camera will lag, unless it's engineside, or csqc, which again goes back to not being compatible...
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

I've not done jack Quake related, not even really in theory, since I started working at GarageGames.

However in a few weeks, Jehar is going to visit for the weekend for some mapping, so maybe something fun, or at least silly and terrible, will come of it. I feel really bad I basically missed the expo this year, I'm gonna have to do something to make up for that...

And yeah I'll just go ahead and apologize for my absence as of late, though it is neat seeing Jehar, LordHavoc, SantaClaws and crimity in person (I work with the latter two, so its a daily basis there!)
Urre

Post by Urre »

scar3: Awesome to hear, had no idea you got a job over there! And yes, you now need to make a quake mod, to make up for your past mistakes. Also, call the mod just that, "Past Mistakes", and make it be about time travel.