Prydon Modelling

Discuss the creation of various model formats for Quake engines, and related matters to modeling.
Error
InsideQC Staff

Post by Error »

nice skin for my model Chillo. the only hat tilting is from me.

keep up the good work man. also, I can model some things if you were looking for a partner or some such
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

Don't listen to them about the chain links, by the way. Nothing's going to die even in DOS Quake unless it's like 3000 polies.

BTW this thread is huge, keep it going!
F. A. Špork, an enlightened nobleman and a great patron of art, had a stately Baroque spa complex built on the banks of the River Labe.
Urre

Post by Urre »

I don't expect it to die, it's just a lot of polies :P
I was once a Quake modder
FrikaC
Site Admin

Post by FrikaC »

I'm kinda sad to see you remaking models that were already perfectly fine while other things like the barrel debris, the scorpion monster, that god awful guy.mdl, the wizard model, etc all still exist as they were.
Chillo

Post by Chillo »

Scutum

Feedback please.
Chillo

Post by Chillo »

Error, if you want to help out with models, i am more than happy to have you on board
TargetPractice

Post by TargetPractice »

Sajt wrote:Nothing's going to die even in DOS Quake unless it's like 3000 polies.
Oh! Sorry about that; I thought Quake had such poor polycounts on the models because anything higher slowed the system to the speed of chilled molasses.
Nevermind.
Preach

Post by Preach »

TargetPractice wrote: Oh! Sorry about that; I thought Quake had such poor polycounts on the models because anything higher slowed the system to the speed of chilled molasses.
Nevermind.
It would have done back in the days when people were playing on p75 processors, but hardware has come a long way. Most of the increased polygon counts in games is because the hardware they are played on is better than the system quake was targetted at, rather than the superior coding of modern games. For those that care, the limit on polygons for a Q1 model is 2048 per model. This is an engine side limit that can be raised quite a bit without having to change the mdl format, which is why QMe etc will save models with more polys than that. There's also a limit of vertices, which is 2048 in every engine except stock GLQuake, where for some reason it was halved to 1024. Even the released GLQuake source code has this reverted, so all custom engines should support 2048.
Last edited by Preach on Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chillo

Post by Chillo »

CROSSBOW!!!!!

NEEDS WORK?!

100% original!!!!
Urre

Post by Urre »

Are you implying that some of the other things are not 100% original?! :O </cheapy>

Cool stuff man! You gonna do the models frik also pointed out?
I was once a Quake modder
Chillo

Post by Chillo »

I'm working on a dragon.

I just have the head so far.
Error
InsideQC Staff

Post by Error »

really like the shield.

good start on the dragon also
Error
InsideQC Staff

Post by Error »

I think I'm going to start working on all the unique/rare items in Prydon
MauveBib

Post by MauveBib »

I think guy.mdl is one of the most important models to be replaced. It is just so shoddy compared to the new (or even old) human models.
Apathy Now!
FrikaC
Site Admin

Post by FrikaC »

fem.mdl also.