Qustion about begin

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
CocoT

Post by CocoT »

If you want to be serious about modding for Quake, you have to buy it. I bought it ten years ago and still use it. Best investment ever.

And at these prices, it's just ridiculous not to:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... ition=used
Neurotic Conversions - New location: Update your bookmarks!
mh

Post by mh »

sevenx wrote:you say "I also like to test things with Shareware Quake too. "

This means ,that you can run glquake , yes ?

I have a shareware quake,also. and i can't run it with pak0.pak....
And how you run your shareware quake ? Can explain ?
Did you search for that error in the code? Try that first.
We had the power, we had the space, we had a sense of time and place
We knew the words, we knew the score, we knew what we were fighting for
sevenx

Post by sevenx »

Okey, i write a new question.
Last edited by sevenx on Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

What mh is telling you to do is look in the engine source for where it does the "registered quake" check and then remove it.

This is something you're probably going to want to do anyway if you plan on doing a completely new from scratch standalone game.

If on the other hand all you want to do is make a mod for quake, you should buy it.
Last edited by Dr. Shadowborg on Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sevenx

Post by sevenx »

I bought quake 1 ,now . And i then i copy pak0.pak and pak1.pak in folder with my compiled glquake . After it , i launch glquake.exe and see many chaotically pixels , i don't see menu, and i hear only sound.
But, when i do photo of screen for you , i see this , and i don't understand, what i do false. http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/336/132gy.jpg
Karall

Post by Karall »

Download darkplaces and start that instead of glquake :) Works for me.
CocoT

Post by CocoT »

Erm...

Did you try hitting the escape key and starting a single-player game when you see these "many chaotically pixels" that, oddly enough, look like a quake symbol on a background?
Neurotic Conversions - New location: Update your bookmarks!
mh

Post by mh »

OK, that's step 1.

For step 2 you need to be aware that there are a lot of things wrong with GLQuake that cause it to behave badly on modern hardware. What you're seeing is perfectly normal and is evidence of one of those things. Look for gl_ztrick in the code, set it's default value to 0, and recompile. Also look at the other places where gl_ztrick is used in the code and see if you can understand what it's doing and how it's doing it.

Also take a look at this thread for a starting point for fixing the rest of these things.
Last edited by mh on Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sevenx

Post by sevenx »

All is work ,now. Thank all. And if have extra time, can you give me some base tutorial for modding,mapping,and programming quake ?
If no , that okey,also. I find personally . Thank all for help.

And i don't understand one thing . If i run winquake , graphic in game good . But if i run glquake , i see this chaotically pixels. But my friends run only glquake and game is work normal...
mh

Post by mh »

I know nothing about modding or mapping so I can't help you with that one.

For programming, look at the tutorials section of this site, and also here: http://www.quake-1.com/docs/quakesrc.org/

Also look at my "minimal fixed GLQuake" source code here: http://www.quaketastic.com/upload/files ... GLQFIX.zip

This contains many fixes to GLQuake, with everything heavily commented explaining what was done and why it was done.

Also download and read the source code for other engines; you can learn a lot about the inner workings of Quake from that.

Programming Quake is a huge topic, and it's not possible to give you a starting point. A lot depends on what you want to do, for example. Do you want to do graphics, sound, networking, gameplay, all of these, none of these? The best thing is to download as many engines and mods as possible, run them, study them and learn from them yourself.
sevenx

Post by sevenx »

mh , thank for links and I want to do a gameplay. Also, i want programming AI and other code, which as gameplay.
And few question . For other engines , i should to learn other script-language ? Or all engines have only c++ code for programming?
mh

Post by mh »

Most engines use C, actually.

The scripting language is QuakeC, which is a custom language only used by Quake engine games. There is no other scripting language in Quake, and if you wanted to implement one you would have to do some very heavy engine work, which I think might be a bit too ambitious for you right now. QuakeC is something else I don't know about (I'm pure engine code and nothing else) so I can't give any tips, aside from to say that these links might help:

Getting Started
QuakeC Tutorials
sevenx

Post by sevenx »

Mh, I understand that, QuakeC for .qc files . And language C for programming engine .I think right ?

That is you programming only engine and don't touch .qc files, right ?
You programming source of engine only , yes ?
mh

Post by mh »

sevenx wrote:That is you programming only engine and don't touch .qc files, right ?
You programming source of engine only , yes ?
Right. That's all I do.
sevenx

Post by sevenx »

Okey, i have question to you.
Do you work with DarkPlaces engine ? I asked ,because i have error in compile process, i try to compile with MVC 2006 , MVC 2008 , MVC 2010 and i have errors with all these. Then, i try to compile with MinGW , but i can't find how compile .dsw format with MinGW .
Can help me ?