8 bit bigmap Halloween special

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
dreadlorde

Post by dreadlorde »

qbism: good to hear!

Didn't there used to be a way to change the hud style with a cvar or in a menu option? I tried to look for the cvar with cvarlist, but qbism crashed. This is what windows had to say about it. I haven't tried the other cvarlist commands (cvarlist_s and cvarlist_a, iirc, no idea what they do.)

Code: Select all

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:	APPCRASH
  Application Name:	qbismS8.exe
  Application Version:	0.0.0.0
  Application Timestamp:	4d7d7838
  Fault Module Name:	msvcrt.dll
  Fault Module Version:	7.0.7600.16385
  Fault Module Timestamp:	4a5bda6f
  Exception Code:	c0000005
  Exception Offset:	0000d193
  OS Version:	6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
  Locale ID:	1033
  Additional Information 1:	0a9e
  Additional Information 2:	0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
  Additional Information 3:	0a9e
  Additional Information 4:	0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Ken Thompson wrote:One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code.
Get off my lawn!
qbism

Post by qbism »

"cvarlist" nasty crash bug will be fixed in next release. There is a hard-coded limit that needs to be removed. I was able to just replace it with similar Fitzquake command. Keep the bugs coming...

The cvar needed is "sbar" and it can be set from 0 to 4. 4 is the default new-style status bar, and 1-3 are the classic styles. Just looking at this, some possible changes: Change the cvar name to "cl_statusbar", and let the + and - keys cycle through status bar styles instead of changing size of drawing area.
negke

Post by negke »

Some comments on the recent release. I think this is nice from technical perspective, taking on the old software engine was unexpected, and putting in modern features. Good stuff there. Many good addtions to the menu without cluttering it too much like other engines do. I don't like the new HUD - the numbers are too small and too far apart to be useful in battle. Didn't know the cvar to change it back to the old one. Be sure to include a proper manual/readme in the next release!

I playtested my DMC3 with this and it worked fine, though it seemed to be darker than with other engines. Especially the shadows on the monsters were sometimes unrealistically dark compared to the lighting of the current environment. In dmc3m6 there was a display error near -770 -300 380, where a patch on the floor would be have faulty lighting - it was extremely overbright or something like that. I took a screenshot, but accidentally deleted it, and I don't have the engine installed anymore. Sorry.
necros

Post by necros »

in the video menu, there's a slider for status bar that cycles through different configurations. i thought that was a really nice feature since i like the normal status bar too. :)

also, really weird about the transparent player model. even weirder is that i somehow didn't notice it......... o.0 yeah, i'm unobservant like that. :P

oh, it would be nice if there were better options for windowed resolutions instead of just 3, two very small ones and one that's all stretched out.
1280x960 one would be nice at least. :)
qbism

Post by qbism »

negke wrote:shadows on the monsters were sometimes unrealistically dark
r_light_style cvar can change it back to standard lighting. I think it looks good in some darker maps with dramatic lighting. I wonder if a hybrid is possible...
necros wrote:better options for windowed resolutions
vid_config_x and _y cvars, then set the 3rd windowed mode. But more modes would be nice.

Hope everyone is playing the epic and gorgeous ne_ruins. Working on qbs8 support:

negke

Post by negke »

[quote="necros"]in the video menu, there's a slider for status bar that cycles through different configurations./quote]
Ok, good. I was just too blind then. Problem is I have to run Quake on 1152*864 because my monitor is old and faulty and will often stretch the display horizontally on 1024* or 800* w/ 60Hz resolutions, but on 1152* and above the text is so small that I can barely read it. :?
LeoBao

Post by LeoBao »

I went through a few e1 maps and noticed one thing though; that the enemies and power ups and other models like that are translucent most of the time [sometimes they're not for a second]. I'm not sure if they are supposed to be like that [i get the feeling it's not], and I can't find how to turn it off. :lol: :lol:
Office 2007
office 2007 remove
buy cheap office 2007
Administrator
dreadlorde

Post by dreadlorde »

LeoBao wrote:I went through a few e1 maps and noticed one thing though; that the enemies and power ups and other models like that are translucent most of the time [sometimes they're not for a second]. I'm not sure if they are supposed to be like that [i get the feeling it's not], and I can't find how to turn it off. :lol: :lol:
Office 2007
office 2007 remove
buy cheap office 2007
I see wat u did thar.
Ken Thompson wrote:One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code.
Get off my lawn!
Yingchun

Post by Yingchun »

I haven't had a lot of time, but was able to reproduce the skew in windowed mode. It looked exactly like your screenshot, so it's unrelated to hardware compatibility.

Coach outletcoach handbags
qbism

Post by qbism »

Yingchun wrote:I haven't had a lot of time, but was able to reproduce the skew in windowed mode. It looked exactly like your screenshot, so it's unrelated to hardware compatibility.

Coach outletcoach handbags
Amazing how bot knew that
a) dredging up old, solved bugs would yank a chain, and
b) the social profile of this site reveals an unspoken penchant for rugged, upscale accessorizing.
necros

Post by necros »

do you know what causes this:

turning on r_fullbright removes the corrupted pixels.

i am using an unorthodox method of changing lightmaps for a lightning effect:
i create standard lights and manually assign 'style' to them (instead of letting light.exe do it) and then update lightmaps via qc by feeding in different single letter string settings via lightstyle() function.

this is the only non-standard thing going on in this map graphically, afaik.
textures are just standard 8bit palettized.

any ideas?
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

it almost looks as if RGB light data got injected into it or you really screwed the lightmap data offset.
i should not be here
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

necros wrote:do you know what causes this:

turning on r_fullbright removes the corrupted pixels.

i am using an unorthodox method of changing lightmaps for a lightning effect:
i create standard lights and manually assign 'style' to them (instead of letting light.exe do it) and then update lightmaps via qc by feeding in different single letter string settings via lightstyle() function.

this is the only non-standard thing going on in this map graphically, afaik.
textures are just standard 8bit palettized.

any ideas?

Looks like corrupted lightmaps. Which engine are you using ?
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
qbism

Post by qbism »

'a' to 'z' lightstyles are converted to an array of 8.8 fractions. A character out of this range could be problem.

Maximum lightstyles is 64 and engine doesn't check range.

Code: Select all

scale = d_lightstylevalue[surf->styles[maps]];
		r += *lightmap * scale;

Reminds me of a certain graveyard map... If this is a big map, can the problem chunk as a standard map size and try it? And does this also occur in tochris, makaqu, or engoo?
metlslime

Post by metlslime »

maybe keep the style values below 32, since 32-63 are assigned by light.exe.