Quake Archiving Project

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

For links to the old cdrom.com/sunet you could use http://www.quaddicted.com/stuff/sunet.s ... rg.user.js but that is super old and ugly and could be done in 5 lines by someone smarter than me-5-years-ago.

Map sites:
For TeamShambler I got permission by Shambler to make the links point to Quaddicted. I just have to finally do it. Underworldfan wanted to host his site at Quaddicted but vanished, I should try contacting him again.
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
Chip

Post by Chip »

Yeah, well, hopefully this fall I'll have some spare time to work on the archives a bit, remove old FilePlanet links, banners, ads and make them standalone.
QuakeWiki
getButterfly - WordPress Support Services
Roo Holidays

Fear not the dark, but what the dark hides.
Squirt

Post by Squirt »

Hey all, I just found my kickflip quake site on reocities:

http://www.reocities.com/TimesSquare/Ha ... index.html

I'd be grateful if anybody could add this to a quake-related archive aswell, or point me to its location!

I'm also looking for contact details of Avatar ("TargetQuake") and Ryan Feltrin alias Ridah ("QuakeRally" & "Quess").
If anybody can help find out their email addresses, their mods are to be shown in a german computer games museum together with some other mods including kickflip quake.
Here's a link to the museum - http://www.computerspielemuseum.de/index.php?lg=en
The Museum has received the German children's culture award 2002 (Deutscher Kinderkulturpreis, special award of the Bundesministerium für Familie) and hosts Europe's largest collection of entertainment software and hardware.
Cheers,
Squirt
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Ridah is working at Treyarch. No idea where Avatar went (or the rest of Gray Matter for that matter, the last game he worked on was CoD:UO)
i should not be here
Squirt

Post by Squirt »

thanks leilei, I've told them about Ridah.
davemckay

Post by davemckay »

Last edited by davemckay on Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

Initial thoughts, background image took forever to load on a rather solid connection - enough to where I thought the bulk of the page was white.

I really like the apocrypha section, the fact that its there, and the choice of name. I'll take a deeper look later, but for now, keep it up!
...and all around me was the chaos of battle and the reek of running blood.... and for the first time in my life I knew true happiness.
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

scar3crow wrote:Initial thoughts, background image took forever to load on a rather solid connection - enough to where I thought the bulk of the page was white.
Are you using IE or Firefox, scar3crow ? The background shows normally to me in Firefox 3.6.8, but took forever on IE6 to render. Looks like some issue with the .jpeg compression, not related to the file size itself.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

Took about 15 seconds for the background image to start loading for me too, in Firefox 3.6.8.
F. A. Špork, an enlightened nobleman and a great patron of art, had a stately Baroque spa complex built on the banks of the River Labe.
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

At the moment Chrome, but on inspection the background image is 1,087k and 2867x1075... That could be streamlined a bit, though I will say it does look nice. It rendered for me correctly, it was just so slow initially that I didn't notice it coming in as it was a vertical fill from the top and I was looking more around the center of the site, taking in all the (what I thought was intentional at that moment) white.
...and all around me was the chaos of battle and the reek of running blood.... and for the first time in my life I knew true happiness.
davemckay

Post by davemckay »

Last edited by davemckay on Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

If the JPEG image was compressed with high quality settings (and from what scar3crow commented about the file size that's looks the case) then it may be noticeable slow to decompress and show. And IIRC default Windows JPEG libraries are not exactly the most performatic out there, hence why any browser but IE embeds its own support.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
r00k

Post by r00k »

QuakeOne.com is a very active community website you may wish to add to your links.
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

I've heard Inside3d is a cool place, not that anyone goes there though.
qbism

Post by qbism »

scar3crow wrote:not that anyone goes there though.

goes there though

goes there though

goes there though

. .. ...