Quake really needs some generic .mdl open source models

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
MauveBib

Post by MauveBib »

Having had a DiD2 picture shown, I should probably chime in to say that DiD2, Nexuiz and several other mods/games are fully GPL, including the models, so they can happily be leached and used by others as long as they remain GPL.
Apathy Now!
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

MauveBib wrote:so they can happily be leached and used by others as long as they remain GPL.
Yeah but how about those compilation mods? And mods that derive from other games resources? You can't really have both together. If it were the LGPL sure, but no

And I see mikeeusa has registered to this forum, probably from this topic of interest... brace yourself for the 'death to women's rights and liberties' hate from that lifeless moron. (or a lame plug of his site, at the least which is a vehicle of hate speech in itself)
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

anyways quick question? do grenade's do this in quake or can i just raise where the grenade is sitting?

also any crits or comments twards models and what not im releasing is appreciated...
negke

Post by negke »

Yes. Just move the model a few units up from that bottom grid.
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

i tried what u said didnt work so i started up regular quake ran thru 3 levels got the grenade launcher and vannilla quakes grenades do the same. i think it has to do with the engine not the model.
Baker

Post by Baker »

Open model in QME. Move it up. It will work.

If you can't get it to work, upload it and I'll fix it.
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

what do i press to select all faces, i can only seem to select 1 in qme... sorry all i usually use qme for is conversion... i do 90% of my editing in milkshape.
Baker

Post by Baker »

ceriux wrote:what do i press to select all faces, i can only seem to select 1 in qme... sorry all i usually use qme for is conversion... i do 90% of my editing in milkshape.
Upload it.

You have to use QME several times to get the hang of it and there just isn't a way I could teach you how to do it.

You'd do something like select all and then poke around until you found the panel that allows you to scale and move it, but only by playing around with it will you learn how to do it.
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

oh, i dont have a select all feature. but ill upload the mdl for u.
Baker

Post by Baker »

This screenshot (nabbed off the Preach tutorial page) might help you: You would want to adjust the Z number to a higher positive number.

Or reading the Preach tutorial instructions:

http://www.quakeexpo.com/booth.php?id=32&page=91

Some time you will need to take the time to learn the basics of QME simply because it is the only editor that can directly open and save a Quake model (unless Quark can do this, although I rarely even open Quark).

/I still want you to upload it so I can convert it, I'm just saying QME is an essential tool to dealing with the Quake .mdl format.
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

k, well i sent you a pm.
Baker

Post by Baker »

Here is how to fix yourself, but since you sent me the .mdl via private message, I'm going to send the fixed model back the same method.

In the highlighted picture above, I clicked the object select tool and then changed the Z adjuster to 30 (that's a positive 30).

The saved as progs\grenade.mdl and tried it out. It looks fine.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

yeah, then it'll look like complete ass when spinning around. gj
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

yea, just noticed it will post up a vid in a moment so u guys can tell me what u like better.

yep... this is how it looks "fixed"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpLxuffl1z4
Baker

Post by Baker »

leileilol wrote:yeah, then it'll look like complete ass when spinning around. gj
Your right, it does. I don't know how to help him with that.