What are you working on?

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
toneddu2000

Re: What are you working on?

Post by toneddu2000 »

very cool c0burn! dp or fte? or both?
Meadow Fun!! - my first commercial game, made with FTEQW game engine
gnounc

Post by gnounc »

c0burn, whats the mod about?
and what are the release plans?

Hud looks good. minimal, but good
c0burn

Post by c0burn »

toneddu2000 wrote:very cool c0burn! dp or fte? or both?
fte only, due to a number of issues with dp.
gnounc wrote:c0burn, whats the mod about?
and what are the release plans?

Hud looks good. minimal, but good
the mod is basically quake coop as you know it, but with a number of changes.
you don't die, your team mates have to revive you if you're incapacitated.
you can carry 3 weapons max (1 melee, 2 guns)
there will be reloading
the monsters will have completely rewritten ai (with some waypoint usage)
and more..
no release plans as of yet!
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

good! Keep up the development!
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

Interesting... Won't immortal players break the gameplay ?
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
c0burn

Post by c0burn »

frag.machine wrote:Interesting... Won't immortal players break the gameplay ?
In what way?
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

Honest question, since I don't know more about the mod mechanics, thus I am assuming is largely based on conventional Quake coop.

If you make players immortal this means one could fight alone (and eventually defeat) a dozen shamblers with just an axe, provided there's someone ready to revive him (OK, that's an exaggerated scenary but you get what I mean). This may end up turning the game more of a grind than a challenge.

One interesting approach in player revival was in dm RTCW: when a player was "killed" usually he would first fall hurt, and a field medic could revive him in a relatively short time window. After that (or if hit again by enemy fire), the player was dead and should wait for the next respawn wave.

EDIT: Another problem occurred me, and this seems more serious: what if all players are hurted at once ? Who will revive them ?
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
c0burn

Post by c0burn »

frag.machine wrote:Honest question, since I don't know more about the mod mechanics, thus I am assuming is largely based on conventional Quake coop.

If you make players immortal this means one could fight alone (and eventually defeat) a dozen shamblers with just an axe, provided there's someone ready to revive him (OK, that's an exaggerated scenary but you get what I mean). This may end up turning the game more of a grind than a challenge.

One interesting approach in player revival was in dm RTCW: when a player was "killed" usually he would first fall hurt, and a field medic could revive him in a relatively short time window. After that (or if hit again by enemy fire), the player was dead and should wait for the next respawn wave.

EDIT: Another problem occurred me, and this seems more serious: what if all players are hurted at once ? Who will revive them ?
The challenge would be in being able to be revived while your team mates are fending off whatever killed you :twisted:

I like the idea of a maximum number of "revivals". This is something L4D did if i'm remembering correctly.

Uf all players are incapacitated, the level ends and you have to start again.
Spike

Post by Spike »

c0burn wrote: The challenge would be in being able to be revived while your team mates are fending off whatever killed you :twisted:
get the reviver to hide around a corner. its not entirely reliable but will probably get the job done...
so be sure to make sure monsters get angry at revivers of corpses that the monster can see, even if the monster cannot see the reviver themselves.
maybe require the reviver to donate half their health, and to have at least 50 health. revives are then limited by the amount of healthboxes on the map that the players have access to, making suicide actually suicidal.
reconnecting may also be a usable tactic, maybe redistribute health to squish it.
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

c0burn wrote:
frag.machine wrote:Honest question, since I don't know more about the mod mechanics, thus I am assuming is largely based on conventional Quake coop.

The challenge would be in being able to be revived while your team mates are fending off whatever killed you :twisted:

I like the idea of a maximum number of "revivals". This is something L4D did if i'm remembering correctly.

Uf all players are incapacitated, the level ends and you have to start again.
Any limiting mechanical is essential to not turn player death meaningless: cooldown time, price in terms of medikits/megahealth boxes, excessive healers exposure (like requiring to stand idle near the hurt player for an ammount of time while "healing"), you name it.
Arbitrary limits like "you can have X ressurections per healer" may prove insufficient (get enough healers in the party and people get imprudent).
Barnes

Post by Barnes »

Specular phong lighting for hud digits

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TOPsXrSFpY
qbism

Post by qbism »

Barnes wrote:Specular phong lighting for hud digits

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TOPsXrSFpY
That's an awesome effect. Would be cool if digits reacted to world lighting in some way. Dimmer in dark areas, brighter and higher reflectance outside.
Barnes

Post by Barnes »

I think so well (I forgot to write, it is recorder with 4x multiplier, in reality, the lighting is softer)
ps
I add this effect for "dog tags" in the game menu :cool:
Last edited by Barnes on Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

so cool effect, Barnes!
hogsy

Post by hogsy »

Edit!

And some silly attempt at trying to pull off 3D skyboxes in the last hour or so.
https://github.com/OldTimes-Software/Ka ... -169887222

Edit!! Wololo~