Engoo

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

A color index how? It's already using a RGB->8 lookup table, unless you mean you just want that reduced somehow without any luminance, to speed up the process?

andrewj did dithering once (ended up looking ugly in 320x200 though), and i was contemplating to do actual 15-bit/32-bit screen output at one point (in DOS using VESA as well), but the evident lack of ASM...yeah that's gonna be a problem to make the effort not so worth it. I don't have much interest to make a slow engine. It'll end up looking like Half-Life but running at half the speed.

I even tried attacking Harekiet (dosbox asm genius) to no avail

I haven't worked on engoo lately as I have to re-setup my compiling environment. Only got the DOS DJGPP part working.

the last changes i did since was to fix a little palette problem in fullscreen NT systems. I learned the hard way - don't ever use color index 0 and 255 on NT, though i think a better way would be to make a 32-bit only NT platform target using mh vid_win since MGL on NT/2000/XP/Vista/7 is like playing with matches (especially in 7 where Aero brutally stabs the Quake palette to death). The MGL version would remain as a still supported Win9x platform target

I was also messing about dynamic lights, trying to figure out the AmigaQuake 'crude dynamic lights' approach to have another speed option, also to no avail... but by trial and error i did manage to do Unreal-style animated fire dynamic lights, though I have no idea how to implement that for use yet.

one feature that'd still be nice to have is window stretching though, you know like zdoom - just clicking maximize on a 320x240 window to get that 320x240 pixelage to cover the whole screen.

I'm also thinking of merging the WattCP network stuff into it to get online play working under dos, and I was also thinking of forking ZQuake to handle the Quakeworld portion of it (or at least, writing an awesome .patch to send to topaz)

I can't ever get model interpolation to work properly, BTW. Tried the mh QER port and the ToChriS method and both lead me to fatal errors.
i should not be here
qbism

Post by qbism »

Just thinking out loud about passing pre-indexed colors instead of RGB between functions. I don't know if there's any net advantage.

Mod_LoadLighting would produce two 8-bit values, one for luminance and one for color index. Instead of R,G,B. (Or possibly... a single 8-bit with 3 bits for color and 5 bits for luminance. Colors white, blue, yellow, red, green, purple, orange, cyan. No room for subtlety!)

R_LightPoint would just return "lightpoint" like it used to instead of the average of R, G, B.

Several functions would have to unpack the luminance/color index to RGB, like D_RasterizeAliasPolySmooth.
qbism

Post by qbism »

...BTW, if Quake is compiled for dosbox, will it play in linux, etc. whatever dosbox runs in?
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

yes, though that's not actually the idea behind it. it's to play it in actual pure DOS on actual DOS machines lol (and it's effective as so. i'm part of a dos-loving community so this is to be expected. engoo's goal is to sort of fill the obscure 'no dp for dos' gap)

BTW i disagree about the HL approach, it's not even HSL. It still needs 3 components to be visually effective. This isn't Quake 2. All that really needs to be done is ASM routines for the 8rgb surfmip block functions, then the colored lighting is as fast as it can get, save for aliasmodel drawing in asm (I really butchered model and sprite functions to add ef_additive among other things, like .alpha, and the functions of using .alpha into ef_additive by clever colormap trickery to fade)
i should not be here
Ranger366

Post by Ranger366 »

can i use this engine (modified) as an executable for my mod?
im currently working on a mod and your engine fits perfect to it - alot effects would be great and i love the windowed 640x480 mode.

(I HOPE YOU STILL LIKE ME NOW)
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

i wonder how an engine like this would play on the psp.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

like shit
psp isn't x86
i should not be here
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

well either way it runs awesome on this acer netbook.

i only have two problems. the colored lighting doesnt seem to show up.

and i want some of the mods i cant find here in video 2 =)

http://leileilol.mancubus.net/engoo/

nvm no it doesnt i just tried to play after the fall and it was a no go -.-
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

ceriux wrote:i only have two problems. the colored lighting doesnt seem to show up.

That's not a problem. Engoo does not make .lit files so do that yourself.
ceriux wrote:and i want

That's also not a problem.
i should not be here
Ranger366

Post by Ranger366 »

leileilol wrote:Engoo
When are you going to fix the network leilei?
I would try it by myself, but i havnt installed any service packs on my VC 6 installation and dont have some headers.
Also, engoo.bmp was missing :o
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

ceriux wrote:well either way it runs awesome on this acer netbook.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

nvm no it doesnt i just tried to play after the fall and it was a no go -.-
any reason that quake would play fine but mess up on a pallet or mod change?

edit: also it doesnt want to save my resolution settings.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

ceriux wrote:any reason that quake would play fine but mess up on a pallet or mod change?
Windows Vista/7 Aero
ceriux wrote:edit: also it doesnt want to save my resolution settings.
you didn't press D

god damnit why are you kids so helpless have you even ever used a software engine before?
i should not be here
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

leileilol wrote:
ceriux wrote:any reason that quake would play fine but mess up on a pallet or mod change?
Windows Vista/7 Aero
ceriux wrote:edit: also it doesnt want to save my resolution settings.
you didn't press D

god damnit why are you kids so helpless have you even ever used a software engine before?
i press d to move, and i disabled aero, still got the problem.
mh

Post by mh »

leileilol wrote:I can't ever get model interpolation to work properly, BTW. Tried the mh QER port and the ToChriS method and both lead me to fatal errors.
Never do a trivial_accept or you'll be a pixel or two out on a screen edge. Fatal in software.
We had the power, we had the space, we had a sense of time and place
We knew the words, we knew the score, we knew what we were fighting for
Baker

Post by Baker »

leileilol wrote:That's not a problem. Engoo does not make .lit files so do that yourself.
hehe :lol:

Ceruix you can pull the "tried and true long-time used Quake .lit files" out of, say, the Qrack extras pak with Pakscape. Probably 10 other sources to find them, but I can't think of another place at the moment.

http://www.quakeone.com/qrack/pak1.zip
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..