8 bit bigmap Halloween special

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

qbism wrote:Colored lighting in SW is a big commitment.
Yeah, i realize the weird tochrissy bits in there would deter from the porting of it.
i tried to comment and partition every colored lighting related thing for this reason. and i've did half the work anyway, losing some numerous nights of sleep for it
you could practice pasting it into a fresh winquake or something
i should not be here
dreadlorde

Post by dreadlorde »

I thought qbism supported protocol 666? I can play big maps, but not demos with protocol 666, it seems. hm.
Ken Thompson wrote:One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code.
Get off my lawn!
qbism

Post by qbism »

leileilol wrote: i tried to comment and partition every colored lighting related thing for this reason. and i've did half the work anyway, losing some numerous nights of sleep for it
you could practice pasting it into a fresh winquake or something
I've come close to porting it, with some patches of colored light, but probably still missing something in the translation of QIP to Makaqu. Next run at it I'll look at QIP/Engoo diff with winmerge.
dreadlorde wrote:I thought qbism supported protocol 666?
Definitely not. I've borrowed a lot from it as a great starting point, but this protocol doesn't handle some of the dp_extensions and other things needed for the stuff I'd like it to play, like OrionTF.
qbism

Post by qbism »

The vid_mode cvar was not set to remember its setting, which is annoying. Fixed. Just redownload latest beta file. UPDATE: Get the latest release at http://qbism.com
At some point I may do a proper beta and revisit the bigmap pack. In the meantime, try Rubicon2 on Super8.
Last edited by qbism on Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
dreadlorde

Post by dreadlorde »

I didn't play through it all (shame on me!), but it was working fine.
Ken Thompson wrote:One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code.
Get off my lawn!
qbism

Post by qbism »

J.J. Abrams new movie is a secret clue for the Super8 engine.

Planning on an official release for qexpo. If I redo the bigmap special, it will be much smaller... engine can read .tga skymaps, so don't have to convert and pack .pcx files!

Some warpspasm fisheye screens in coop mode. Unfortunately haven't tested with real players... yet.
dreadlorde

Post by dreadlorde »

Great news! Anything new in the engine, or are you saving that for qexpo?
Get off my lawn!
qbism

Post by qbism »

tga texture loading is probably the biggest thing since the last beta. Right now it's implemented for skyboxes, which are typically tga. So now the skies are available automatically without tediously converting 24-bit textures to 8-bit textures in advance and creating a memory-hogging pak.

There will be a few tweaks, like framerate-independent physics (based on MH's work) and changed dependence to current dxsdk headers instead of 1996 headers from original source. May have Leilei's shadowhack, but with stainmaps instead of darklights.

Biggest goal is documentation and media. Instructions, new video(s), Flash demo, and screenshots. Depends on how available time plays out.
necros

Post by necros »

i was trying this out on a large map, and for some reason, all the models were messed up like a modelindex mismatch.
apparently, aguirre's software engine does this too... is that something that can be fixed? is it looking at precached models in a different order than glquake somehow?
qbism

Post by qbism »

Need more info... like map name, etc. If it's a map like Marcher that Aguirre's is made to play, it's probably something messed up on your end. I haven't observed this behaviour but I learn something new every day.
necros

Post by necros »

it happens, that i have seen specifically, with the 'ne_qep1_ext' map included in my ne_rpg mod i released on sunday.
negke says it happens with other maps in aguirre's software engine, which seems to imply it has nothing to do with the engine port specifically, but something with software engines in general.
that's all i've got though, sorry i can't be more help. :(

for everything else, the engine is great though. fast and looks fantastic. thanks :)
qbism

Post by qbism »

Thanks, I'll download your map when I've returned from the land of dial-up. It could be something I borrowed from aguirre's code, but still hoping it's a simple config setting, somehow. :) The fact that these are software rendering engines shouldn't be a factor in the bug because it doesn't sound like a graphics issue.

BTW, the latest beta/ "big map special" is available. Download from qbism booth at qexpo 2011. (It probably doesn't address the modelindex issue, but the file size dropped from 60Mb to 2Mb due to new tga skymap loading.)
dreadlorde

Post by dreadlorde »

I'm having a problem with Lost Chapters: False Esteem by Vondur, when dying in lava, when you respawn your screen still have the orange 'tint' that shows up when you fall in lava. I tested id1's start map too, and when dying in the lava there, when you respawn the screen is fine. To fix the problem in LC I had to change the brightness after I died, and that restored everything to what it was supposed to be.
Get off my lawn!
necros

Post by necros »

yeah, that's the one i have. :)
i only found out about this from qexpo booths (just going down the list).
it would be cool if someone could just put up a forum post maybe in engine programming? with all the engines that are out there. there are so many! it's kind of a slog to track them all down to test out maps and stuff on them, so i usually don't bother. :(
qbism

Post by qbism »

necros: Quickly testing ne_rpg on qbS8 seems like it would be playable on standard maps. I first set sv_protocol to "3773" (the horrible number I picked for qbs8 protocol) and the loaded e1m1. The transparent overhead health bar looks great! The player is transparent. The firelance works. But the included "big map" ne_qep1_ext has something that qbs8 protocol can't understand and it sys_errors out on SZ_Getspace overflow. The map loads with protocol 15, but missing many entities, etc. due to reduced limits.

dread: I see that bug, very annoying. On certain mods, respawning doesn't flag a color shift reset. But I've found a fix (hack) by faking a bonus item flash. The fix will appear in next release!