ProQuake 4.70 PSP Build

Discuss programming topics for the various GPL'd game engine sources.
drm_wayne

Re: ProQuake 4.70 PSP Build

Post by drm_wayne »

np ;)

BTW: I think Jukki and the NZP team are also workin on enginestuff, maybe you can work togehter on the engine.
ATm i am using Mexicougers Revamped engine and it seems to have some memory improvements but it doesnt
have the classic "quakehud" ...
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

if i knew how to do engine side code id be helping you baker, however iv attempted and i just cant seem to get the grasp of it thank you very much for sticking around for those of us who still like to make and play around with stuff on the psp.
Baker

Post by Baker »

ceriux wrote:if i knew how to do engine side code id be helping you baker, however iv attempted and i just cant seem to get the grasp of it
I've learned engine coding requires an intense interest. The kind where you are surrounded by insurmountable walls, but reject the idea of anything being insurmountable so you scale them any way. That really isn't for everyone. I see Spike and MH way far away in the distance and continually scratch my head like "WTF!".

I honestly don't know why I very much want to know what MH, Spike and LordHavoc know. Except I want to know it.

I guess I have a super-rabid form of curiosity where the harder it is to understand something the more determined I am that I must come to understand it. Occasionally gratified by an "Ah ha!" moment where I understand something that didn't click before.
ceriux wrote:thank you very much for sticking around for those of us who still like to make and play around with stuff on the psp.
You don't need to thank me. I *am* *not* *going* *any* *where*.

Besides, you've already helped me more than you know. :D If I were selfish, I'd try to talk you into making more models that I can use. :D
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

throw up requests =) i can try my best, but i cant promise anything i just started a new job which seems to be taking up quite a bit of my time. but i <3 modeling and i really enjoy trying to make quake quality models for some reason. 300 - tri models are pretty challenging sometimes, but always fun.
Spike

Post by Spike »

Baker wrote:I honestly don't know why I very much want to know what MH, Spike and LordHavoc know. Except I want to know it.
Jealousy. :/

All you really have to do is memorize all 500000 lines of code, and you're there... Oh, and memorize the code of all the other engines that you have to be compatible with.
more seriously though, you only have to memorize the overview of it, the more pure functions the easier that is, etc. compression rocks! :P
Keep pushing yourself and you'll be laughing at my skills in no time.

ceriux, tbh engine code isn't that much more complex than qc. its just a little less tolerant of bugs. I've seen loads of qc mods which had code that was harder to read than most engines...
Baker

Post by Baker »

Spike wrote:
Baker wrote:I honestly don't know why I very much want to know what MH, Spike and LordHavoc know. Except I want to know it.
Jealousy. :/
The opposite of that: inspired that stuff is possible. So it makes me want to make stuff. :D
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
MDave

Post by MDave »

Trying to understand the Quake engine, is like looking at one massive ball of spaghetti :) spaghetti that someone (people) else created. That they knows inside and out, or as spent enough time looking at the spaghetti, they understand how it all works and links together. Is it worth the effort? Hmmm ... maybe, if you want to do something with the engine that inspires people or want to get something tangible out of it. I wouldn't say its the best way to learn programming practices, unless you're looking at modern tweaked up versions of the Quake engine, but even then, the core way Quake works is still ancient by design :P

Make your own ball of spagettie! :lol:
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

hey so i found this via google. but it includes a src for quake2 psp with multiplayer might be worth looking through he mentioned some sort of tricks hes used or something to improve preformance. figured it would be worth posting here. maybe theres some stuff in there that could help.

http://psp.dashhacks.com/downloads/quak ... yer-beta-2
drm_wayne

Post by drm_wayne »

Well, it looks like Left 4 Quaks and als NZP seems to have some things fixed in their engines..
But sadly, both "missed" to release the sourcecode (GPL anyone?)....
r00k

Post by r00k »

They are only required to provide their sources when they provide their mod distribution.
What bugs/options/features are u needing? If they found a solution, maybe we can tackle them here...
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

also found a hexen II port which might have some good stuff in it you might be able to learn from as well.

Hexen II psp
drm_wayne

Post by drm_wayne »

r00k wrote:They are only required to provide their sources when they provide their mod distribution.
What bugs/options/features are u needing? If they found a solution, maybe we can tackle them here...
Left 4 Quake has released a binary on moddb, and they have modified the engine.
it seems to have some memory allocation improvements, external textures and some nice particle effects.
Also the HUD was changed, and i want to restore the original Quake HUD.
It seems to be super stable, more than Kurok and ProQuake..
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Then request the source and if they do not abide the terms of the GPL report copyright violation to moddb?
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
drm_wayne

Post by drm_wayne »

already did, but it seems that they have dissapeared or just dont want to answer this...
Jukki

Post by Jukki »

If i remember right ghost_fang (the coder) left to army so that might be the case. Also the engine is kurok with darkquake stuff added to it