ProQuake 4.70 PSP Build

Discuss programming topics for the various GPL'd game engine sources.
dr_mabuse

Re: ProQuake 4.70 PSP Build

Post by dr_mabuse »

No problem ;)
My PC version of my mod is running on Darkpalces atm, maybe i will change to your Engine X then :D
dr_mabuse

Post by dr_mabuse »

Well, does ProQuake support that "VWEP" modification?
I want my playermodel to carry the actual weapon in multiplayer (and singleplayer) but i dont want to make 10 playermodels :(

http://qexpo.tastyspleen.net/booth.php?id=87&page=353
Baker

Post by Baker »

Nope. It is on my list of features that Engine X must have in large part due to Error's work in providing a QuakeC basis ( http://forums.inside3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=2384 )

But I don't have any plans to add that to ProQuake in the foreseeable future and Engine X is a few months away from release. And I have too many others things on my to-do list.

I certainly understand the desire for such a feature. It has the potential to solve a great number of problems like you have indicated.
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
dr_mabuse

Post by dr_mabuse »

hmm ok...
I need to find another way...
NZP has something like VWEAP, but again - no source :/
Jukki

Post by Jukki »

source will be released when we get it clean and stable dont wory. And how to use it? well i just added that thing that only show entity to player or only to other clients and then just made a entity that follows the player. Soltitude has this if you want to take look and xlink posted a tutorial how to add that engine part (allready in darkplaces)
Baker

Post by Baker »

Jukki wrote:Soltitude has this if you want to take look and xlink posted a tutorial how to add that engine part (allready in darkplaces)
I wasn't aware there was a tutorial on this. Jukki, can I get a link to look this tutorial? There are about 4 components to this modification and if someone already walked through the steps that would be a time saver.
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
Jukki

Post by Jukki »

well i can post here how i didit

first you add thsi to engine: http://forums.inside3d.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2221

Code: Select all

void() TP_V_Weaps =
{
	if (!self.TP_V_Weap)
		return;
	if (self.weapon == IT_COLT)
		setmodel(self.TP_V_Weap, "progs/g_colt.mdl");
	else if (self.weapon == IT_TESLA)
		setmodel(self.TP_V_Weap, "progs/g_tesla.mdl");
	else if (self.weapon == IT_RAY)
		setmodel(self.TP_V_Weap, "progs/g_ray.mdl");
	else if (self.weapon == IT_BIATCH)
		setmodel(self.TP_V_Weap, "progs/g_colt.mdl");
	else if (self.weapon == IT_KAR_SCOPE)
		setmodel(self.TP_V_Weap, "progs/g_kars.mdl");
	else if (self.weapon == IT_BAR)
		setmodel(self.TP_V_Weap, "progs/g_bar.mdl");
	else if (self.weapon == IT_M1A1)
		setmodel(self.TP_V_Weap, "progs/g_m1a1.mdl");
	else if (self.weapon == IT_FLAME)
		setmodel(self.TP_V_Weap, "progs/g_flame.mdl");
	else if (self.weapon == IT_THOMPSON)
		setmodel(self.TP_V_Weap, "progs/g_thomp.mdl");
	else if (self.weapon == IT_SAWNOFF)
		setmodel(self.TP_V_Weap, "progs/g_sawn.mdl");
	else if (self.weapon == IT_DB)
		setmodel(self.TP_V_Weap, "progs/g_db.mdl");
	else if (self.weapon == IT_KAR)
		setmodel(self.TP_V_Weap, "progs/g_kar.mdl");
	else if (self.weapon == IT_FG)
		setmodel(self.TP_V_Weap, "progs/g_fg.mdl");
	else if (self.weapon == IT_TRENCH)
		setmodel(self.TP_V_Weap, "progs/g_trench.mdl");
	else if (self.weapon == IT_MG)
		setmodel(self.TP_V_Weap, "progs/g_mg.mdl");
	else if (self.weapon == IT_GEWEHR)
		setmodel(self.TP_V_Weap, "progs/g_gewehr.mdl");
	else if (self.weapon == IT_BROWNING)
		setmodel(self.TP_V_Weap, "progs/g_browning.mdl");
	else if (self.weapon == IT_357)
		setmodel(self.TP_V_Weap, "progs/g_357.mdl");
	else if (self.weapon == IT_PPSH)
		setmodel(self.TP_V_Weap, "progs/g_ppsh.mdl");
	else if (self.weapon == IT_PANZ)
		setmodel(self.TP_V_Weap, "progs/g_panzer.mdl");
	else
		setmodel(self.TP_V_Weap, "");

// Set the world weapons origin and angles to that of the player
	self.TP_V_Weap.angles = self.angles;
	if (self.weapon == IT_COLT || self.weapon == IT_357 || self.weapon == IT_RAY || self.weapon == IT_BIATCH)//frames for pistol
		self.TP_V_Weap.frame = self.frame + 1;
	else if (self.frame < 80)
		self.TP_V_Weap.frame = self.frame + 1;
	else 
		self.TP_V_Weap.frame = self.frame - 79;//frames for rifles

self.TP_V_Weap.origin = self.origin;
};

then put this to PlayerPreThink

if (coop || deathmatch)//no need to see it my self in singleplayer?
	TP_V_Weaps();

and same to PlayerPostThink

and then this to PutClientInServer:

w_weap = spawn();
	w_weap.movetype = MOVETYPE_NONE;
	w_weap.touch = SUB_Null;
	//setmodel (w_weap, "progs/W_nail.mdl");
	setorigin (w_weap, self.origin);
	w_weap.solid = SOLID_NOT;
	w_weap.angles = self.angles;
	w_weap.owner = self;
	w_weap.classname = "world_weapon";
	w_weap.nodrawtoclient = self;

self.TP_V_Weap = w_weap;

then add thease to defs.qc:
.entity nodrawtoclient;
.entity TP_V_Weap;

That should be it. Not that most of this code is not mine but solitudes. I found no way to realy improve so simple code ;)

the models should be done so they sync with the frames of player model and are in correct height etc.
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

dr_mabuse wrote:hmm ok...
I need to find another way...
NZP has something like VWEAP, but again - no source :/
Well, have you reported them to moddb? To id Software? If they violate the GPL then go demand your rights.
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
Jukki

Post by Jukki »

Actualy, we have released engine soure and told many times we release it on demand too if needed. qc is writen by us 99.9999999... us or from tutorials etc. I would release source code right away but some of our team dont want it before the time is rigt
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Ah, sorry for the implications! I assumed dr_mabuse would have had tried asking already (since it is absolutely fine for an author to wait for that).
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
dr_mabuse

Post by dr_mabuse »

well, i think i will wait for bakers new Proquake version then :)
Baker

Post by Baker »

Jukki wrote:well i can post here how i didit
Thanks for the QuakeC illustration Jukki, that is very helpful.

That takes a bit of a different approach than, say, Error's method. And I have some notes sketched out on paper somewhere of my ideas (which would not be a proper implementation, but would allow quicker testing out and tweaking engine-side).

I think Remake Quake project might be doing this. And if I recall correctly, Sajt/Leileilol had some conversion on somehow adding a fake model tag into the Quake .mdl file.

2012 might prove to be a very interesting and fun year for having some more tools available for mod developers. We can hope so, at least.
mh

Post by mh »

Baker wrote:I think Remake Quake project might be doing this.
We opened discussions on multiplayer features a short while ago, but the focus for now and the immediate short term is on SP. From the look of things it's reasonable to say that what comes out of MP development is going to be quite different to what is done in SP. E.g. many of the gameplay features being done for SP are not going to be suitable for use in MP, and most of the SP maps are just too huge/detailed/layout-unfriendly for use in MP. Truth is that when you start advancing beyond the (fairly simplistic) initial confines of Quake, this logical split does present itself. A Quake II level is about as much as that kind of design can sustain, and we're well beyond that - imagine deathmatching in warpc? When you see something like e2m1rq you'll know what I mean.

Regarding vwep, it's highly unlikely that anything will be done with the MDL format as it has other limitations that make it difficult to work with. It's not impossible that something will emerge from our use of the IQM format though.
We had the power, we had the space, we had a sense of time and place
We knew the words, we knew the score, we knew what we were fighting for
dr_mabuse

Post by dr_mabuse »

Baker wrote:adding a fake model tag into the Quake .mdl file.
Sounds like MD3 ;)
That would be much easier to do then animating the player AND the weapons...

BTW: i just found another 2 "bugs" in ProQuake 4.70:

When you are in ahlbsp map and load a q1bsp map some textures have a wrong palette, and
my hlbsp maps have some strange "artifacts" on the textures (maybe i have compiled them wrong,
but it doesnt happen in darkplaces):

The ceiling should be pitchblack

You can see the "artifacts" on almost every texture
Baker

Post by Baker »

mh wrote:
Baker wrote:I think Remake Quake project might be doing this.
We opened discussions on multiplayer features a short while ago, but the focus for now and the immediate short term is on SP.
My interest in vwep ironically isn't multiplayer, but more Goldenboy's "grunts with guns" ... the ability to separate the monster from his weapon.

I think vwep in multiplayer is superfluous in many ways (except in "coop" or a mod with a third person camera instead of a first person view).

You generally are not close enough to an enemy to be able to visually tell what kind of gun they have and most weapons (rocket launchers, plasma guns, etc) are so lethal at a distance far out of the visual range to discern visually what a player is using as to be largely pointless and you know what kind of weapon they have by fact they are firing rockets at you.