Sending map data from server to client?

Discuss programming topics for the various GPL'd game engine sources.
qbism

Re: Sending map data from server to client?

Post by qbism »

metlslime wrote:"LOCAL" means the same machine as the server ... LAN clients are not "LOCAL" in this sense, unless i misunderstand what you're saying.
I have indeed misunderstood the meaning of "LOCAL" in this case. I assumed it meant LAN. However, the code change still corrected the condition I was experiencing.
Starting multiplayer from the menu and playing on that machine, with one or two other players join over LAN via wifi router, joining players would receive continuous "keep-alive" messages without ever completing connection. This is when running Super8 which borrows this code. So it could be a problem with Super8 only, or it could be a general problem with clients having different max message sizes.
Baker

Re: Sending map data from server to client?

Post by Baker »

qbism wrote:
metlslime wrote:"LOCAL" means the same machine as the server ... LAN clients are not "LOCAL" in this sense, unless i misunderstand what you're saying.
I have indeed misunderstood the meaning of "LOCAL" in this case.
Type "status" in the console.
]status
host: Your host name
version: 1.09
tcp/ip: INADDR_ANY
map: start
players: 1 active (1 max)

#1 player 0 0:00:02
LOCAL
The "LOCAL" is in the player IP address slot. The specific purpose of this in Quake is that it will use the network loopback in net_loop.c instead of using a "real" connection like in net_wins.c --- so a local game (single player or -listen server) the network messages just get thrown in a buffer and then read off the buffer.
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..