Qustion about begin

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
CocoT

Post by CocoT »

http://www.inside3d.com/frikbot/projects.php and check "FriQCC"
Alternatively, you can also try FTEQCC at http://www.fteqw.com/index.php?option=c ... &Itemid=57

Again, follow the guide here: http://inside3d.com/gettingstarted.php
Neurotic Conversions - New location: Update your bookmarks!
sevenx

Post by sevenx »

Okey, i have microsoft visual c++ 6.0 and i do what you say me , and have some errors...

Can you ,please, explain me step-by-step how compile source of quake ? If you can , explain in photos ,because it's important for me. I want to understand it.
Chip

Post by Chip »

:lol: Hey, this is fun!
QuakeWiki
getButterfly - WordPress Support Services
Roo Holidays

Fear not the dark, but what the dark hides.
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

These two are either trolls, spammers or PSP kids.
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
CocoT

Post by CocoT »

Chip : I know... two newbies in the same thread, and who signed up only one day apart... Talk about testing our patience... :)

Erm...

Anyway.

/me takes a deep breath

Compiling the engine source is a different thing, Sevenx. For more info on that, check http://forums.inside3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=1281 (and probably a lot of other thread under the "engine programming" section.
sevenx

Post by sevenx »

Thank very much for link.
And i am not a troll. I know doom engine, and now i want to learn quake engine, and i ask very many question . Understand me ? I want to be an expert in quake-engine.
mh

Post by mh »

Instructions for MSVC6:

http://www.quake-1.com/docs/quakesrc.org/114.html

I'd personally recommend 2008 instead (it's a nicer environment, the debugger is better, it comes with ml.exe, etc), but it does require quite a bit more work.
We had the power, we had the space, we had a sense of time and place
We knew the words, we knew the score, we knew what we were fighting for
Chip

Post by Chip »

1. If you want to be an expert in Quake engine, you'd better buy the game. It's cheap on Steam and you'll have a legal base to start upon.

2. There are many engines available out there, free for you to play with. If you want to build the source, it means you want to add modifications, integrate tutorials, change behaviours and so on. Do you have a clear goal for this? Do you want to build a modification, a total conversion or a whole new game?

3. What is your prior experience with coding? What about programming (either web or C or anything else)?

4. Finally, how old are you? Both of you? Just curious.
QuakeWiki
getButterfly - WordPress Support Services
Roo Holidays

Fear not the dark, but what the dark hides.
CocoT

Post by CocoT »

And my personal one:

5. Do you like ice pandas?
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

I for one doubt the plausibility of ice-skating pandas.
F. A. Špork, an enlightened nobleman and a great patron of art, had a stately Baroque spa complex built on the banks of the River Labe.
CocoT

Post by CocoT »

6 - How comfortable do you feel about letting this thread get out of control?

sevenx

Post by sevenx »

mh, thank for link and good information.I normally compiled with MVC2008.Thank.

Chip,I want to build a whole new game, i know good C++, i know it about 2,5 years .And not bad of Java . I am 17,from Ukraine,but i winning many competition of C++ .And i have experience with cryptography on C++, because i winning first place on city competition ,also. Seriously and my next goal is create a whole new game from quake-engine.
Last edited by sevenx on Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Baker

Post by Baker »

Structure of Quake:

1. Quake engine (glquake.exe) - source file is q1source and compiles with MSVC6. Skip that and use FitzQuake 0.85 and compile with modern Visual Studio. FitzQuake 0.85 - http://www.celephais.net/fitzquake/ (binary and source code). FitzQuake 0.85 has the assembly language stuff stripped out and compiles without modification with modern Visual Studio so ... you load up the FitzQuake .dsw file in modern Visual Studio and click Build and it will compile as-is without trying to find stuff like ml.exe (the ASM compiler) on the net.

The game engine is written in C. Not C++. And QuakeC and .qc have nothing to do with the engine (see #3 below).

2. Quake game data. You'll need this. You should buy it, but shareware as linked above will suffice. The Quake engine, except for the DarkPlaces engines, is very oriented towards the Quake game data and actually has hardcoded stuff in it.

The Quake game data consists of pak0.pak (shareware Quake) found in the quake\id1 folder and pak1.pak (registered Quake). Pakscape can open these pak files which are largely just like .zip files except uncompressed.

3. progs.dat - This is the game logic of Quake gameplay. It is essentially bytecode and controls how gameplay is handled like weapon behavior, monster behavior, weapon damage. These are the QuakeC files with .qc extensions. You compile them with a QuakeC compiler, generally FTEQCC or FrikQCC are the modern choices for the Quake compiler. A compiled .qc source generates a progs.dat. The progs.dat for standard Quake is located in pak0.pak

4. The maps and models are in the pak files, with .bsp extensions being maps, with .mdl extensions being models. .spr are sprites (particles). The .wav files are the sounds obviously. There are miscellanous fun little files like .lmp and .wad files in there too, those are largely the 2D menu graphics and status bar graphics in the 256-palette format except with no palette header. Well, .wad is sort of like a collection of them in a primitive .pak file and you open .wad files with TexMex or Wally.

Helpful links:

http://quakeone.com/navigator
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
sevenx

Post by sevenx »

Baker, thank for information and i have question to you.
Can you exactly explain about compile files of .qc extensions with FrikQCC or FTEQCC. Because, i try to do something with it and when i start FrikQCC i see an error : "Error Opening progs.src:No such file in derictory" . And if you can ,explain how to compile .qc files ,please.

And do you speak about "quake 1 " ? It's for to my information notes.

And , where i can download gfx.wad or pak1.pak ? Because, i can't start executable file of engine .Can you say,please.
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

pak1.pak is the data of the registered version of Quake. You have to buy Quake to get that file. (pak0.pak is used by both the shareware and the registered versions.)

If you downloaded the QuakeC source, you should have a folder full of .qc files, and also a filed called progs.src in that directory. Put frikqcc.exe or fteqcc.exe in the same directory and run it from there.
F. A. Špork, an enlightened nobleman and a great patron of art, had a stately Baroque spa complex built on the banks of the River Labe.