8 bit bigmap Halloween special

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
dreadlorde

Post by dreadlorde »

1366x768 is the native resolution of the monitor (laptop display). It' fairly common among laptops with 15.6" displays, I know I've seen at least four other brands with that as the native resolution.

edit: engine just crashed after getting the SSG in VeniVidiFutzi. No idea why.
Ken Thompson wrote:One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code.
Get off my lawn!
qbism

Post by qbism »

Veni actually loads? Didn't know that. SSG??
When dev can't solve problem, distract with a new release: UPDATE: Get the latest release at http://qbism.com

What's new:
  • Loadpalette loads tweaked palette lmp from /gfx and regenerates colormap. TODO- should become similar to loadsky, via map.

Added FitzQ MTU limitation. TODO: verify protocol OK in actual wireless LAN multiplayer.

Remove net_vcr code

Added r_fisheye and ffov (fisheye fov)

Lightpoint interpolation on models

Boost max lighting in R_AliasSetupLighting. More overbright is like more cowbell.

Add sv_cheats, including coop

Better particle sizing based on Makaqu 1.4

Switch to square particles, remove aspect compensation. Faster speed, but kept alpha

Rotating brush fix - Avirox + Baker tute
Last edited by qbism on Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

the palette thing is interesting

for the lightpoint can't you just slap lordhavoc's fixed lightpoint function in there instead (from the lit tutorial)? Seems fittable for software though you've already done the interpolation for that one
i should not be here
Baker

Post by Baker »

QBISM SIMPLY CANNOT BE STOPPED!@!@!

[was that all caps?]
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
qbism

Post by qbism »

!CANNOT HAZ BRAKES!
leileilol wrote:lordhavoc's fixed lightpoint function in there instead (from the lit tutorial)?
Will check it out. Mine is dirty framerate-bound like (3 *old_light + new_light)/4.
dreadlorde

Post by dreadlorde »

Have you had any time to look at that resolution bug? Even with the new version, the screen becomes skewed, like before.
Ken Thompson wrote:One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code.
Get off my lawn!
qbism

Post by qbism »

I haven't had a lot of time, but was able to reproduce the skew in windowed mode. It looked exactly like your screenshot, so it's unrelated to hardware compatibility.

The original vid_win.c was capped at 1280 horizontally and 1024 resolution vertically. I'm guessing there is another horizontal limit or memory limit defined somewhere that I haven't found.
qbism

Post by qbism »

...okay, the issue is that the X resolution is not a multiple of 4, which is what the software renderer is expecting. I ran up to 1920x1080 resolution with no problem, but ANY resolution that was not x4 was skewed. 1368x768 is fine. 1366x768 is skew.

The fact that non x4 screens exist at all really ticks me off.

Once I get up from my Recliner of Rage, I'll see if there's reasonable solution.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Are you still using MGL?
i should not be here
qbism

Post by qbism »

dreadlorde

Post by dreadlorde »

Qbism supports coloured lighting, doesn't it? I have a map i made that uses coloured lights and they weren't showimg in game. I used mh's new arglight with colour support. i can post the map later.
Get off my lawn!
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

No, it doesn't. You must be thinking of my engine

I wish Qbism had my colored lighting, so we can have slow colored lighting in flash
i should not be here
qbism

Post by qbism »

Colored lighting in SW is a big commitment. Massive amounts of code are changed, as I've learned while slowly trying to understand it. Plus, there's got to be some translation between the differences in engines. The subtle differences are the toughest snags. So it can't be overestimated how slow this would be in Flash.
qbism

Post by qbism »

Our story so far: super8 will detect native video mode resolutions and allow arbitrary custom windowed resolutions, but is limited to widths that are multiples of four.... until now. Probably.

This update might fix the 1366 native resolution issue: UPDATE: Get the latest release at http://qbism.com
Works in windowed mode, anyway. Does it work on laptop?

I revised any code reliant on horizontal resolution being a multiple of four. The big breakthrough is switching to MH's direct draw vid_win.c. Previously used MH's DIB vid_win.c, but DIB requires multiple of four format, and that was the root of the issue.

The exe was compiled with mingw on CodeBlocks using Reckless' headers including ddraw.h.
Last edited by qbism on Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
dreadlorde

Post by dreadlorde »

It seems to be working now. :D
Get off my lawn!