Qake Beta Testing

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Re: IT WAS MY BIRTHDAY YESTERDAY

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

FrikaC wrote: Qake was designed with consoles in mind. Specifically the GamePark 32, which I own 2 of.

That particular console has 6 buttons: A, B, Start Select, the two shoulder buttons, and a 8 way directional pad. So the thought was A = Jump, B = Fire, Select = weapon cycle, Start = menu. I had forgotten about the shoulder buttons until recently so here's a thought....how about an aiming meta key, that when held forces the dierection keys to change your aiming direction but doesn't affect movement and doesn't trigger buttons and doors. This would also allow pure aiming and pure movement keys as the functions of each would be seperated at the input stage, the 'meta key' would simply block the movement bits. Unless you have a better suggestion.

I'm not planning on mouse support, since it's...you know.
That would work. Or maybe even just having two buttons, one for aiming up and the other for aiming down.
RenegadeC

Post by RenegadeC »

I vote contra controls :P
FrikaC
Site Admin

Post by FrikaC »

I vote contra controls
Who?
RenegadeC

Post by RenegadeC »

FrikaC wrote:
I vote contra controls
Who?
8 Directions for firing, play Contra on the NES and you'll know...
DarkSnow

Post by DarkSnow »

As far as i can remember, unmodified quake did not realy care if you shoot up or down. If there were something in front of the player, it automaticly shoot at its direction unrelative to the aiming direction (atleast with the shotguns)

But then again, how would that look on a console? :wink:
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

RenegadeC wrote:
FrikaC wrote:
I vote contra controls
Who?
Additionally:

I'm not sure if it's the same on the NES Contra's but...

Basically, on the SNES and Genesis Contras (of which, the Genesis one is better) you had a button that you could press that would switch between allowing you to move while shooting or to not move while shooting. (Only on ground) This allowed for parking yourself in a certain spot for when you wanted to give something sustained fire.
RenegadeC

Post by RenegadeC »

Dr. Shadowborg wrote:
RenegadeC wrote:
FrikaC wrote: Who?
Additionally:

I'm not sure if it's the same on the NES Contra's but...

Basically, on the SNES and Genesis Contras (of which, the Genesis one is better) you had a button that you could press that would switch between allowing you to move while shooting or to not move while shooting. (Only on ground) This allowed for parking yourself in a certain spot for when you wanted to give something sustained fire.
SNES Contra > Genesis Contra

Problem with the Genesis one is that it's difficulty was insane, and the characters were tiny; good game though.
FrikaC
Site Admin

Post by FrikaC »

DarkSnow wrote:As far as i can remember, unmodified quake did not realy care if you shoot up or down. If there were something in front of the player, it automaticly shoot at its direction unrelative to the aiming direction (atleast with the shotguns)

But then again, how would that look on a console? :wink:
There's kind of a logic to how Qake works in regard to weapons, firing directions and level layouts. Auto aim would spoil things, and 8 rather than 6 directions would also.
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

RenegadeC wrote: Problem with the Genesis one is that it's difficulty was insane, and the characters were tiny; good game though.
What?!

Not near as hard as the SNES Contra :wink:

'course, that's kinda relative, since all the Contras were fairly hard, what with the "die in one hit" thing... :P
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

Me like Qake

It is Quake + DJQuake + Hammy-Bob :D
F. A. Špork, an enlightened nobleman and a great patron of art, had a stately Baroque spa complex built on the banks of the River Labe.
venomus

Post by venomus »

I lolled.
MauveBib

Post by MauveBib »

butts, lol
Apathy Now!