Revitalizing Quake

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

You guys might be interested in that thread: http://www.celephais.net/board/view_thread.php?id=27785

Sorry, that I don't write my own thoughts now, maybe later :roll:
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

Urre; please dont capitalise my nick, it looks rather silly that way

I didnt say in the case of a new episode that you would need brand new textures on everything, bumpmapped and covered in doughnut glaise and so on. The thing regarding maps and real time lighting is, none of them take advantage of it. And it sometimes just looks on in the original Quake maps due to the low brush count, so the whole thing looks rather... bare. It is a naked world in some ways.

Honestly, the only thing right now that makes anything look out of place in the new engines is that realtime lighting can illuminate just how low poly the monsters really are (though this is only patently obvious with lightmaps set to 0, and with them at 0.15 or higher its much harder to notice, while still getting the wonderful ambience of their multiple shadows cast upon the walls dynamically, and the rich painted landscape that is the original lightmaps).

As far as making the old maps fresh again, aside from the graphical approach, that requires a whole new take on the gameplay to me, and frankly, the last time I saw a mod really making you play an original map differently was Get Rich Quake. An awesome multiplayer mod that never seemed to catch on, but had every player looking at each map differently, not searching for the best weapon, but really thinking about how each room could serve them and protect their funds (I would love to see FBX in this, though I would imagine it would take some special coding for their behaviour and new waypoint flags indicating possible good safety deposit box hiding places).

As far as continuing the plot... well, you could do it in a non-controversial manner, as in... you dont rewrite what the current items were distinctly about. You merely amend what you already have, like SoA and DoE did.
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

Thanks for the link Spirit

Its been an entertaining read so far, and some of them have some EXCELLENT ideas and concepts going on.
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

still reading that thread

and then i reached Mauve's post
funny how we both agreed on the same stuff, had the same idea (the altered physics for each dimension) and i also LOVE the visual that comes to mind of a death knight tossing knights out of the way/ at you in his determined cadence to merge his iron with your skull
Urre

Post by Urre »

Sorry scar3 :)

/me replied to the func_msgboard thread
I was once a Quake modder
LordHavoc

Post by LordHavoc »

DarkSnow wrote:
Urre wrote:Darksnow: the things you present there are mostly an issue of gamecode, not the engine. Ambience is also something that comes out of good art direction, not the engine. Crouching is not an engine issue, it's the q1bsp format. You can still do crouching even in that, with some clever thinking. Many engines support the HLbsp format, which has a new crouch hull. DP supports q3bsp, which can have any hull size. The fact that the nailguns use visible nails was just something id chose to do, and could easily be changed by any modder. These are non-issues.
Just telling my opinion on why q1 is a unattractive engine for todays modern players to play in. And as i said, i could be wrong - its just my opinion anyway.
I should point out that dpmod has offset weapons, visible bullets at realistic speeds (more realistic than counterstrike), and a great many other details that you seem to be ignoring, a lot of what you're talking about has been done already.

And yes dpmod lacks crouch, it lacks crouch because no one has volunteered to make a player model, and the people I've asked to make one haven't, a new player model would also let me attach guns to the hands if it's md3.
DarkSnow

Post by DarkSnow »

LordHavoc wrote:I should point out that dpmod has offset weapons, visible bullets at realistic speeds (more realistic than counterstrike), and a great many other details that you seem to be ignoring, a lot of what you're talking about has been done already.

And yes dpmod lacks crouch, it lacks crouch because no one has volunteered to make a player model, and the people I've asked to make one haven't, a new player model would also let me attach guns to the hands if it's md3.
Hehe, i knew i were gonna get burned for this ;)

For the past month i have been whining and trying to get some of my fellow memers in my counter-strike clan to play some classic quake. Their first reactions were no!!! so as i asked why and they replied that quake1 has extremely crappy graphics.

They liked the screenshots i sent them of ex tenebrae1/2 but they did not want to play with me neverthenless - just because its quake 1. Until i told em that tenebrae actualy is a engine for quake1 they wanted to buy it.

Myself i like classic quake and i like it alot, but i just dont think that the regular gaming community will ever be able to se quake1 as something "fresh" or "new" unless someone creates a complete set of new weapons, models, maps, gaming modes, ambience, soundsm, gui, cutscenes, vehicles etc - but then again it would not realy be quake1 after that would it? To me it seams insane that a game is unpopular just because its name :(
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

LordHavoc wrote:And yes dpmod lacks crouch, it lacks crouch because no one has volunteered to make a player model, and the people I've asked to make one haven't, a new player model would also let me attach guns to the hands if it's md3.
THIS SOUNDS LIKE A JOB FOR CHEAPALERT :!: :mrgreen:
i should not be here
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Crouching in Quake? Just add some weapon spreading (=inaccurate aiming, I don't know if it's the right word) and end up with some ridiculous "realistic" Quake. Same about +use for switches. You can't be serious!

:shock:
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
RenegadeC

Post by RenegadeC »

Wazat wrote: Prydon was a freak of nature (in a good way) in that it had:
1) A talented and seasoned mod leader who was highly capable of making most of it himself
2) Lots of people contributing models, maps, even code (compared to other mods, FrikaC got extraordinary support), meaning the afforementioned mod leader didn't have to make it all himself
3) It finished. Mods don't finish, they just sit at 5-30% development for the rest of their lives. :)

Most mods have one, maybe two of those, but not all 3.
Prydon's main episode isn't even complete, you're eventually suppoused to fight Hades even so 3 doesn't apply ;)
Urre

Post by Urre »

Ren: I thought I already said that, without revealing plot items even. ;P
I was once a Quake modder
Entar

Post by Entar »

CheapAlert wrote:
LordHavoc wrote:And yes dpmod lacks crouch, it lacks crouch because no one has volunteered to make a player model, and the people I've asked to make one haven't, a new player model would also let me attach guns to the hands if it's md3.
THIS SOUNDS LIKE A JOB FOR CHEAPALERT :!: :mrgreen:
MauveBib is making a new player model for Quake - maybe you can collaborate with him?

scare3crow: Not to worry, I'm working on a standalone project using Quake. I'm the engine coder (it'll be using my engine, Vengeance r2) and mapper, but I won't reveal the identity of the qc coder - I'll leave that to him :p :D It's someone in this very forum! <insert cliched 3-note surprise music here>

To keep you appetized, here's a shot of my WIP map I'm making for the project:
Don't worry, I'm still working on it, and I've made a good bit of progress since taking that screenshot.
RenegadeC

Post by RenegadeC »

Urre wrote:Ren: I thought I already said that, without revealing plot items even. ;P
d'oh.
Wazat

Post by Wazat »

Well, compared to other mods of the time, Prydon is among, if not THE, most successful. I suppose I was off the wall there, though. :oops:

Me, I'm going to just keep making Conquest the way I've planned it. I'm not out to revitalize Quake -- that seems like an awefully big project, and Conquest is huge as it is. If I want an impressive new experience for players as is being discussed above, then there are plenty of other new games to turn to. New games, where all the issues above have been worked out already. There are quite a few that would be close enough to the Quake feel for me to adapt my methods. But for now I'm programming for Quake because I like Quake, despite its sad limitations.

*shrugs*

I'm not entirely sure what I could contribute to such a revitalization project.
When my computer inevitably explodes and kills me, my cat inherits everything I own. He may be the only one capable of continuing my work.
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Wowowowow!
Superb models! :shock: