.alpha

Discuss programming topics for the various GPL'd game engine sources.
metlslime

Post by metlslime »

re: iPhone darkplaces

Apple's approval process for new iPhone developers is pretty much this: if you can pay the $99 fee, you're approved.

Though, Quake as it stands would not be fun on the iPhone, the platform would really need a simpler FPS with controls designed for the interface, and levels / monsters designed for the controls, rather than a clumsy straight port.
MeTcHsteekle

Post by MeTcHsteekle »

what about thst csqc?

do u suppose tht might be a standard eventually?

at leastin gl, i dont know how it would look in a software :\
bah
Lardarse

Post by Lardarse »

LordHavoc wrote:What it probably runs on (with a recompile or possibly a little editing):
OpenPandora (product not released yet, will see what is involved)
ARM Processor (so no FPU), 128MB ram, may possibly need re-written (or SDL) joystick support, should be similar to the Linux port apart from that.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

LordHavoc wrote:Now, what platform does DarkPlaces not run on that people actually care about?
older pentiums and 486s obviously. func_msgboard is obviously a ghetto full of people stuck on them. *sarcasm*
LordHavoc wrote: Crashing on certain video drivers is not an excuse (workarounds can be added if people tell me what feature does not work on what driver).
oh? does this mean there's a possible chance of running this on PCX2 chipset?
LordHavoc

Post by LordHavoc »

leileilol wrote:oh? does this mean there's a possible chance of running this on PCX2 chipset?
Yes if you can get me a log with the startup details with the -developer -condebug options, and then a list of -nowhatever options that are required to get it to work properly (assuming it runs with -safe - if it doesn't even run with that it may be fairly hopeless).

Not sure that there is any value in PCX2 support though.
Urre

Post by Urre »

On a personal note, I've been "dreaming" about a Wii DP port for a while, as the Wii control scheme and mentality (accessibility mainly) fits the DP game I've been working on lately, so that'd be pretty damned wicked...
I was once a Quake modder
Wazat

Post by Wazat »

DP mods on the Wii would rock. I loved how aiming worked in Metroid Prime. It's not as effective as a mouse in a classic fast-and-furious quake DM, but in single player it would be very cool.
When my computer inevitably explodes and kills me, my cat inherits everything I own. He may be the only one capable of continuing my work.
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Lardarse wrote:
LordHavoc wrote:What it probably runs on (with a recompile or possibly a little editing):
ARM Processor (so no FPU), 128MB ram, may possibly need re-written (or SDL) joystick support, should be similar to the Linux port apart from that.
There is someone already working on the port. :)
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
LordHavoc

Post by LordHavoc »

Spirit wrote:
Lardarse wrote:
phrosty in #fte mentioned working on it.

I've got one preordered but not sure when that will ship.

I doubt it will require any special support.

Some ARM processors DO have an FPU, for example the Dreamcast's cpu had a few floating point ops (critical since it ran 3D games), I don't know if the Pandora's cpu does but I'd assume so for performance reasons.
MDave

Post by MDave »

LordHavoc wrote:
Spirit wrote:
Lardarse wrote: ARM Processor (so no FPU), 128MB ram, may possibly need re-written (or SDL) joystick support, should be similar to the Linux port apart from that.
phrosty in #fte mentioned working on it.

I've got one preordered but not sure when that will ship.

I doubt it will require any special support.

Some ARM processors DO have an FPU, for example the Dreamcast's cpu had a few floating point ops (critical since it ran 3D games), I don't know if the Pandora's cpu does but I'd assume so for performance reasons.
Quake 2 unoptimised runs on it at 60fps at 320 x 240. It does have a FPU ;)

Check the videos on youtube.

Quake 3 should run pretty smoothly on it too, once that gets ported and takes advantages of the hardware. Some even say Doom 3 could work, if that ever becomes open source.