Is QuakeSrc.org ever coming back up?

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
Entar

Post by Entar »

EGL is hardly noticeable at QuakeDev, unless you're looking for it, in which case you can go to its website or forum. QuakeDev contributes to the community immensely with the free hosting alone. I already visit QuakeDev from time to time anyway.
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

leileilol wrote:
Spirit wrote:Why do people not like Quakedev?
Not dedicated. It's nothing more than a SMF forum and a simple news portal just to blast echongl all over the place.
Speak for yourself. Actually, I am very grateful for Echon to kindly host my project page. It's just that people were more used to hang on QuakeSrc.org forums, and nobody was expecting a supposed server migration would end up in a permanent site deactivation. Now, we need to find a way to retrieve all that knowledge base and store it somewhere. If QuakeDev.com can do that, it's good enough to me.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
mh

Post by mh »

I've nothing against QuakeDev, but I preferred the way QuakeSrc concentrated on more general techniques that were useful to everyone rather than on specific engines. You could get into a really good discussion about the best way to render lumas, and learn a lot from it, not just about rendering lumas but about OpenGL in general.

Any proposed replacement would have to be set up to allow and encourage that kinda thing.

Still baffled that Ender won't make some kind of announcement about exactly what happened, though.
We had the power, we had the space, we had a sense of time and place
We knew the words, we knew the score, we knew what we were fighting for
GiffE

Post by GiffE »

http://web.archive.org/web/200706071608 ... rg/forums/
You might be able to retrieve some stuff off of web archives.
KillsTheWeak

Post by KillsTheWeak »

Ya after some digging threw archive.org you can get to some old threads before forums were changed.

Here's Quake2 section 2001-2002

http://web.archive.org/web/200311111043 ... c&ft_id=10
Bram

Post by Bram »

Does anyone know what happened? I went on vacation, came back and it was completely gone. I tried to grab the domain name, but it seems Ender got it back. Are there any plans for getting it back online? As far as tutorials are concerned, I probably have a copy of those somewhere on my backup disks, but not a recent forum dump.
________
Diablo GT
Last edited by Bram on Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mh

Post by mh »

Bram wrote:Does anyone know what happened? I went on vacation, came back and it was completely gone. I tried to grab the domain name, but it seems Ender got it back. Are there any plans for getting it back online? As far as tutorials are concerned, I probably have a copy of those somewhere on my backup disks, but not a recent forum dump.
We had an announcement up that it was moving servers, and would be down for 24-48 hours or so pending DNS updates, the 24-48 hours stretched into days, then weeks, then it was gone.

I don't think anyone has an idea what really happened - the only one who knows is Ender, and he's saying nothing.
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

Bram wrote:Does anyone know what happened? I went on vacation, came back and it was completely gone. I tried to grab the domain name, but it seems Ender got it back. Are there any plans for getting it back online? As far as tutorials are concerned, I probably have a copy of those somewhere on my backup disks, but not a recent forum dump.
[legal paranoid ON]
Are the tutorials protected by any kind of license or copyright ? If there is no legal restrictions, I think would be a good idea to replicate it here, in QuakeDev.com or any other place, even if QuakeSrc.org eventually come back.
[legal paranoid OFF]
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

frag.machine wrote:
[legal paranoid ON]
Are the tutorials protected by any kind of license or copyright ? If there is no legal restrictions, I think would be a good idea to replicate it here, in QuakeDev.com or any other place, even if QuakeSrc.org eventually come back.
[legal paranoid OFF]
The tutorial page had a clause at the top stating that they were all GPL.
i should not be here
Bram

Post by Bram »

As far as I can remember the tutorial page stated they were covered by the GNU FDL (http://www.gnu.org/licenses/fdl.html.) However, I don't think we ever asked any of the authors for permission to publish their tutorials under the FDL.
________
Vaporizer Guide
Last edited by Bram on Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
mh

Post by mh »

Tutorials were GPL and text was FDL :) - http://web.archive.org/web/200404011947 ... =tutorials

I seem to remember this was to prevent unscrupulous third-parties ripping tutorials from the site and using them in closed-source projects.

The old tutorials page is here: http://web.archive.org/web/200701101039 ... orials/old
KillsTheWeak

Post by KillsTheWeak »

Ya but the good stuff is in the discussions, they look to be all there, you just have to sift threw thousands of pages and re-assemble them, cause the archive didnt link them together correctly.
Typh

Post by Typh »

Hi! I'm old Typhontaur... I am really been sorry that quakesrc has disappeared. :(
I hope to a vigorous return...
Wudan

Post by Wudan »

Well, I don't think it's going to happen. Ender is nowhere to be seen, and I don't know about registering a domain name that sounds similar to 'quakesrc.org' but maybe something else entirely? I'm not sure either why people won't go to quakedev.com but strangely enough that's where I started before I even realized there was a quakesrc.org, and, sadly, eventually stopped frequenting quakedev.com because no one goes there. It seems clear there's a need to go somewhere, I am very reluctant to start posting Quake3 engine questions around here because I am none too certain that would go over well with the local population.

I hope the indigenous population can appreciate our sad plight, just imagine if you lost the great resource and community you have here, and you can see what I'm driving at.

Why on God's earth someone would allow the domain to lapse is beyond me though ...

Sadly, I never officially announced my project and now there is no where official to announce it. I was reluctant to initiate what I know would have been an endless barrage of questions and requests for info, and 'how do I take your source and make it my own' emails.
GiffE

Post by GiffE »

Wudan wrote:Well, I don't think it's going to happen. Ender is nowhere to be seen, and I don't know about registering a domain name that sounds similar to 'quakesrc.org' but maybe something else entirely? I'm not sure either why people won't go to quakedev.com but strangely enough that's where I started before I even realized there was a quakesrc.org, and, sadly, eventually stopped frequenting quakedev.com because no one goes there. It seems clear there's a need to go somewhere, I am very reluctant to start posting Quake3 engine questions around here because I am none too certain that would go over well with the local population.

I hope the indigenous population can appreciate our sad plight, just imagine if you lost the great resource and community you have here, and you can see what I'm driving at.

Why on God's earth someone would allow the domain to lapse is beyond me though ...

Sadly, I never officially announced my project and now there is no where official to announce it. I was reluctant to initiate what I know would have been an endless barrage of questions and requests for info, and 'how do I take your source and make it my own' emails.
Should no Ender return I would gladly help recreate what once was. (either with purchasing domain/hosting or help with web stuff)
Been doing web design/coding for quite some time now.