What are you working on?

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
toneddu2000

Re: What are you working on?

Post by toneddu2000 »

@Seven: great effect, as always! Just one small note: can you interpolate more frames to make the pool less "laggy"?

@Shpuld: I love your work with FTE! Sliding movements it's a great addition!
Shpuld wrote:I still need to write smoothing for the camera when crouching
If you take a look at fteskel code, I used camera attached to skeleton head bone, so you can do cool stuff like cinematic camera animations or smooth transition for crouching/standing animation, for example
Shpuld wrote:and also client-side prediction for all the new movement.
When you do this, please pm me, cause maybe we can collaborate about this because my next step for fteskel is prediction. I think that the 2 more important functions are SV_ClientCommand for ssqc and CSQC_InputFrame for csqc but I still didn't dig into it.
Meadow Fun!! - my first commercial game, made with FTEQW game engine
Supa

Post by Supa »

I know it's been a while since I've shared any progress, but Brood Hunter is still going at a pretty decent clip now.. I still have a lot left to implement (and fix) but I'm pretty happy with how everything is shaping up so far. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lh2k-IH1wBY

aut viam inveniam aut faciam
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

wow Supa! Did you do all the work by yourself(code and art)? That's awesome!
Keep it up!
Max_Salivan

Post by Max_Salivan »

Sorry for my english :)
Spike

Post by Spike »

http://triptohell.info/moodles/junk/theblimpgun.png attack of the blobifier!
its a fun exercise in crazyness if nothing else (now with blobby shadows+rtlights).
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

The blimp gun it's very usefult to kill ogres AND to transport advertising! :D
Supa

Post by Supa »

toneddu2000 wrote:wow Supa! Did you do all the work by yourself(code and art)? That's awesome! Keep it up!
Thanks. :)

The art is pretty much just hacked together Fiend Hunter assets, though I did the anims from scratch. I'm not a real artist at all.

As for the qc I wrote more or less everything but the remaining innards of FBX, though I've spent a fair bit of time hacking at it and rebuilding the core to make use of relevant DP extensions - DP_SV_BOTCLIENT, tracebox movement and etc. I still need to finish up and release the conversion patch for that. -_-
aut viam inveniam aut faciam
qbism

Post by qbism »

Monster concept: cratebot. Kind of slow but fires some insta-rail thing and hides among the, umm, crates.
Image Image
SusanMDK

Post by SusanMDK »

qbism: Looks funny cool. Kind of Q2 like thing.

Thought to see what happens if I combine the simple modeling with the earlier low color palette idea. I made 16 and 32 color palettes. The 16 palette has 6 greys, 2 reds, 3 yellows, 3 greens and 2 blues. The 32 palette has 8 greys and 8 colors with 3 shades each. Don't know yet which one I want to use, or should I use some other amount of colors, or if this is a new project or yet another restart for Blaze...

Image Image

Image Image

Optimized the machinegun from Blaze for some ingame use. Player holding it single handed at the moment.

HUD, Dark vents & nightvision mode. The nightvision mode use a different palette and a large dynamic light without shadows and not visible to other players.
Image Image
zbang!
qbism

Post by qbism »

jim: try 32 groups of 8 nearly identical colors (slight variations in HSV) = 256. It may soften color boundaries similar to an old CRT monitor. Great HUD as always.

spike: can blobby be lumpy too? Clay effect.
Spike

Post by Spike »

qbism, once you have the extra verts, I don't see why you can't push them out a little according to a normalmap, either with or instead of the blob thing. I'm not sure how easy it would be to control the precision though.
SusanMDK

Post by SusanMDK »

qbism: Not really sure what you mean. Anyway, the way I've done the post process palette effect is kind of slow. Not a good idea to have more than 32 colors with it. The HUD probably changes later, but I try to keep this style with it. Also the blue bars are just decoration...

Optimized the 3 other earlier weapon models for ingame use. Rocket launcher changed and got a sort of M202 look. The grenade and rocket launcher textures don't have any of the little details yet.
Image Image Image

Mmm.. Got a pretty retro look with the 16 color palette plus these settings: vid_width 1280, vid_height 800, r_viewscale 0.25, gl_texturemode GL_NEAREST force. This way it will appear like 320x200 resolution scaled up to 1280x800, and the "force" after GL_NEAREST removes the blurring that would otherwise happen with r_viewscale. If change gl_texturemode GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR, without the "force" after forcing the nearest filter, things will look like it's run through a median filter. I could set/force some of these settings with default.cfg or qc. The median filter doesn't work from the cfg, the game needs to be running for it to work, otherwise it looks like crap. I could have some cvar for the texturemodes, and then change the gl_texturemode in qc with the cvar.. uhuh...
zbang!
Irritant

Post by Irritant »

Generation 3 of Alien Arena teasers. This release, is pretty close to a total reboot.

http://red.planetarena.org - Alien Arena and the CRX engine
jitspoe

Post by jitspoe »

Haven't had much free time lately, so still slowly working on bot AI stuff.

Getting natural looking aiming and shooting:

https://vimeo.com/126889898

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfVI0218V4U

(both are the same video, just on different hosting sites).
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

@Irritant: I love how much passion you're putting into that game! Hope to see AA "Generation 3" quite soon! Great work! The only little incoherence in CRX engine imho is lighting. Probably with a modern real time GI illumination it could be real awesome, but I know it's really difficult to implement. I'm still waiting that Spike is tempted to do the same on FTEQW! :lol: Great work, though.

@jitspoe: Cool! I had to re-play that video 2 times to see the aiming animation, due to the fast pace gaming speed! :D Keep it up!