What are you working on?

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
ceriux

Re: What are you working on?

Post by ceriux »

hogsy what is that?
hogsy

Post by hogsy »

A while ago I made the decision to split the engine off into a separate module that gets loaded by a launcher, which would mean that multiple launchers could be created with their own icon and name for whatever game they'd be specifically assigned to... That was just some thinking ahead for the future and wasn't exactly a lot of work. Essentially that arose from when we wrote the game-logic in C and I split it into its own separate module, and then did the same for the code behind the menu.

Since the start of the project, I've always been interested in creating an integrated editor within the engine, similar to say Unreal. Well not too long ago I wrote out my own material system from scratch for the engine and thought that we could use an editor, so we could modify those materials and see the results within the engine in real-time, using the exact same rendering pipeline that the engine uses. This would also mean I can more easily add in new features and debug them at the same time, which would be incredibly useful.

So I started working on an interface and then worked on adding support to the engine so that it can run in an embedded state (or rather I'm doing both at the same time.) It's a little sloppy right now and I need to mature it out a little bit more, but as you can see the results are already there; you can load a material and display its properties, tell the engine to draw things and override the console output (with support for input incoming literally today.)

Essentially this is just laying down the ground work for an integrated model viewer too, which a friend of mine will be working on. Though I'm still debating if they should be separate tools or all integrated into one unified editor.

Edit:
Some further progress...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvHf1eJ ... e=youtu.be

Edit:
Moar

Planning on backtracking a lot of this though and cleaning things up a little bit.
sock

Post by sock »

mankrip wrote:On a side note, MFX's CleanCut map fooled me into thinking my engine was buggy.
Creating new standards can lead to funny situations...
Yeah, lots of mappers experimented with the split of alpha transparency support in the markV engine, its certainly a good idea to have different alpha's based on material type, I just wish it was a standard that more client engines understood, maybe even read it from the worldspawn if the parameter existed!

Going with something a bit simpler today, a small test map to show what fun it is to go around smashing breakable objects while being chased by a horde of monsters!
Well he was evil, but he did build a lot of roads. - Gogglor
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

@motorsep: just..wow. Can't wait to see dynamic light working! Are you gonna use glsl to lit dynamically map objects or did you add into the engine the possibility to draw parallel sun light?

@hogsy: great, you're spending surely lots of effort on engine tools! Keep it up the great work!

@sock: every map sock creates it has its own mood.. very good
Meadow Fun!! - my first commercial game, made with FTEQW game engine
motorsep

Post by motorsep »

toneddu2000 wrote:@motorsep: just..wow. Can't wait to see dynamic light working! Are you gonna use glsl to lit dynamically map objects or did you add into the engine the possibility to draw parallel sun light?
It's a modified Doom 3 BFG engine - it has always had sun (parallel) light and has been fully dynamic to begin with (unified lighting and shadows). So no tricks are necessary :)
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

motorsep wrote:It's a modified Doom 3 BFG engine - it has always had sun (parallel) light and has been fully dynamic to begin with (unified lighting and shadows). So no tricks are necessary :)
So cool!
sock

Post by sock »

A short video showing how breakables can enhance a map environment and improve AI interactions!
Links - My YouTube Page - AD Moddb Page
No monsters were scripted in the making of this video!
Well he was evil, but he did build a lot of roads. - Gogglor
mankrip

Post by mankrip »

Lightmapped liquids. Work in progress:
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
gnounc

Post by gnounc »

Hot Damn Sock! I didnt expect that video to be so visually expressive. The breakables really burst forward in an action movie kind of way, thats awesome to look at.
Barnes

Post by Barnes »

fake sub surface scattering

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

@mankrip: lightmapped water is so much more moody...
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
gnounc

Post by gnounc »

Yeah mankrip, that does make quite the difference
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

@mankrip: the shadowmapped water adds an extra atmosphere. So good! I bet that was a lot of hard work, congrats!
@Barnes: the effect is SO COOL (like the others you added in your engine) but it would be better imo to use high poly rounded models to emphasize the effect. Also, upload 3MB pngs to display progresses maybe it's not the best choice :( (better 50% quality jpegs)
PS: how did you achieve fake sub surface scattering effect?
Barnes

Post by Barnes »

2 toneddu2000
toneddu2000 wrote:but it would be better imo to use high poly rounded models to emphasize the effect.
yes, i know(((((
toneddu2000 wrote:Also, upload 3MB pngs to display progresses maybe it's not the best choice
Ok :)
toneddu2000 wrote:how did you achieve fake sub surface scattering effect?
Very old thing. Look here https://machinesdontcare.wordpress.com/ ... er-shader/
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

for the.. it's a glsl shader?! Wow, now I can use it in fte!! WOOOW! Thanks Barnes for the link!