strafe ?

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
ceriux

strafe ?

Post by ceriux »

anyone seen this?

http://www.polygon.com/2015/1/20/785666 ... ickstarter

looks pretty awesome.
frag.machine

Re: strafe ?

Post by frag.machine »

Eeewww... You made me click in a link to Polygon, and now I feel... dirty.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

lol its the only link i have their websites messed up atm. you didnt watch the trailer?
qbism

Post by qbism »

The turretbot and pixelated decals are cool. The engine for this game should be engoo! A couple inconsistencies... they couldn't resist excessive ragdoll (but I might be wrong, was it around in '96?)
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

lol im sure it wasnt. but i'm also sure they're just trying to bring back 96 with some modern flare. i think the ragdolls are a good idea, makes deaths seem more satisfying sometimes. a bit more randomness added to the game imo. i dont know if anyone else heard in the trailer but the "levels" are random i'm assuming she said they're different every time or something.
r00k

Post by r00k »

looked cool

liked how their hud minimized the actual rendered space on the screen...
Spiney

Post by Spiney »

Looks interesting, very brown, hehe :D
I hope this is like some Quake / Binding of Isaac hybrid.
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

They directly acknowledge id games, specifically Wolf 3d, Doom, and Quake. But they do randomize the levels. Rooms have chunks that are movable which makes them available for ambushes, secrets, or connections. No wording on how much verticality is planned in the layouts. If you pay attention, they're kind of role playing that it is 1996. The site is filled with rotating skulls and dripping blood gifs, FAQ has periods between it, there is a manual html age gate, etc.

It has good potential, I've reached out to them about doing some QA... Indie projects have a history of quality concerns... Throw in randomized levels, AI, and decal/casing permanence and you've got a lot of factors to consider.
...and all around me was the chaos of battle and the reek of running blood.... and for the first time in my life I knew true happiness.
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

A great concept imo. I'll back it! Thanks for the link ceriux, now I know another game I want! :D
Meadow Fun!! - my first commercial game, made with FTEQW game engine