What are you working on?

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
toneddu2000

Re: What are you working on?

Post by toneddu2000 »

ah ok, the effect is great!
Meadow Fun!! - my first commercial game, made with FTEQW game engine
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Updated http://quakewiki.org/wiki/pak0.pak#Versions and http://quakewiki.org/wiki/pak1.pak

Please tell me or update the pages yourself if you have different ones.
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
hogsy

Post by hogsy »

Just some stupid crap I've been working on, not expecting to get anywhere with it any time soon.
mankrip

Post by mankrip »

"Light emitter" shading:

More screens and info at the blog.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Actually reminds me a bit of the 'fog' volumetric light effects in Doom3 and Unreal and playstation-era flares. It's the 'chiaroscuro' with the light direction coming from the vieworigin right?

For dealing with torches I would just do an EFFECTS flag that would only make the fullbright pixels not draw at all (for the particle flames in engoo), though good luck splitting the lighting gradients on that without resorting to two entities.
i should not be here
mankrip

Post by mankrip »

leileilol wrote:Actually reminds me a bit of the 'fog' volumetric light effects in Doom3 and Unreal and playstation-era flares.
Maybe because it still needs a color shading map that takes color temperature in account. The brightness of the fire should fade from neutral (white) to yellow, and then to red.
leileilol wrote:It's the 'chiaroscuro' with the light direction coming from the vieworigin right?
Plus additive blending, a secondary color shading map without fullbrights, using only the light value generated by the entity itself, and ignoring all other light sources.
leileilol wrote:For dealing with torches I would just do an EFFECTS flag that would only make the fullbright pixels not draw at all (for the particle flames in engoo), though good luck splitting the lighting gradients on that without resorting to two entities.
I've still got to implement a way to detect triangles that only uses fulbright portions of the skin. When that's done, the translucent triangles should be omitted during the opaque entities rendering loop, and the torches should be rendered again in the translucent entities loop, this time with the opaque triangles omitted.

The same technique should end up being automatically applied to the muzzleflashes of all models, including monsters.
Last edited by mankrip on Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

I had a bit of fun with looking things up, given "glsl quake palette" is an engine trend around here

Unfortunately it's a vec3 array and not an actual LUT texture right now and to get this to work I had to reduce color values to 18-bit and the performance is pretty slow (25fps in 1280x720).

It's not software rendered, but should be a rough draft of what it could probably look like. I should probably backport the old quake particle system effects for good measure. There's even mono lightmaps and the gun bobbing resembles Quake as well.
i should not be here
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

Super cool effect leilei!
Meadow Fun!! - my first commercial game, made with FTEQW game engine
mankrip

Post by mankrip »

Pretty good, I liked the hue banding.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
qbism

Post by qbism »

glsl color depth slider would be interesting- 2(monochrome),16 (palette), 256(palette), 4k, 16k
Another slider for dither method.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

no.
Last edited by leileilol on Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
i should not be here
qbism

Post by qbism »

mankrip wrote:
leileilol wrote:Actually reminds me a bit of the 'fog' volumetric light effects in Doom3 and Unreal and playstation-era flares.
Maybe because it still needs a color shading map that takes color temperature in account. The brightness of the fire should fade from neutral (white) to yellow, and then to red.
The laser bolt screenshot shows exactly that. Due to color gradient of the skin?
mankrip

Post by mankrip »

qbism wrote:
mankrip wrote:
The laser bolt screenshot shows exactly that. Due to color gradient of the skin?
Exactly. The lasers only looks that good in those screens because they're being viewed from the front. They don't look so perfect from behind, but a temperature-based color shading map would fix that.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
hogsy

Post by hogsy »

I 'unno...
SusanMDK

Post by SusanMDK »

I thought to put Blaze on hold for a while and try to make some simpler game complete in a few months. At the moment it's going to be something with low poly flying things with minimalistic textures, like what I was doing with Blaze earlier. I have some ideas for what player does in the game, but it is still pretty open.

zbang!