What are you working on?

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
revelator

Re: What are you working on?

Post by revelator »

Used the DXSDK_Jun10 :) cmake should get its path automatically when installed.
Productivity is a state of mind.
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

Thanks a lot reckless, it worked! :)
Next step: did anyone try to use BFG Source code to create a completely new game from scratch(instead of using it to run doom 3 bfg game data)?
( I always ask... never know! :roll: )
Last edited by toneddu2000 on Sat May 24, 2014 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meadow Fun!! - my first commercial game, made with FTEQW game engine
Spiney

Post by Spiney »

Works like a charm :D
I did notice the player head is not part of the shadow with g_showplayershadow 1, but the teeth(?) are.
I'll post a screenshot if you cannot reproduce it.
revelator

Post by revelator »

Hmm thats a rather funny bug :) havent messed with the shadow code so not sure what gives.
As for anyone using the BFG source for modding i havent seen anything yet, but in time it might come.
Biggest problem seems to be repacking BFG's resource files,
not even sure sure how to load HD textures with this :s would be nice to have the option to use wulfens TGA's.
Also the old graphics mods that used ARB shaders will not work unless ported to GLSL (Sikkmod etc).

And doom3world is still down so its a bit hard getting news :( maybe a subsection of inside3d could handle Doom3 related stuff ?.
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

As for anyone using the BFG source for modding i havent seen anything yet, but in time it might come.
Kot in Action team, with their Phaeton: Aurora's Journey seems to use BFG engine but their YouTube page is a little outdated and I didn't see any dev blog about using this engine for new games.
Iodoom3 doesn't use BFG and it seems dead even before started. :(
And doom3world is still down so its a bit hard getting news :( maybe a subsection of inside3d could handle Doom3 related stuff ?.
Yes, please! :D
revelator

Post by revelator »

Lets hope frikac is just as entusiastic about a new subsection :).

Ok didn't know about kot ill have a look.

iodoom3 newer got far indeed but there fixes live on in ports like dhewm3 so it was not a total wash up :).

I seem to remember selfshadowing was turned of by default because it was buggy with id's shader code,
sikkpin fixed that but unless someone ports it and packs up a resource to override the games shaders it most likely cannot be used.

Or maybe hardcode it ? cause i noticed RBDoom3 used embedded shaders. The material parts would be hard though.
revelator

Post by revelator »

I muzzled a bit around the code and found this.

Code: Select all

cmdSystem->AddCommand("buildGame", BuildGame_f, CMD_FL_SYSTEM, "builds game pak files");
    cmdSystem->AddCommand("writeResourceFile", WriteResourceFile_f, CMD_FL_SYSTEM, "writes a .resources file from a supplied manifest");
    cmdSystem->AddCommand("extractResourceFile", ExtractResourceFile_f, CMD_FL_SYSTEM, "extracts the supplied resource file to the supplied path");
    cmdSystem->AddCommand("updateResourceFile", UpdateResourceFile_f, CMD_FL_SYSTEM, "updates or appends the supplied files in the supplied resource file");
    cmdSystem->AddCommand("generateResourceCRCs", GenerateResourceCRCs_f, CMD_FL_SYSTEM, "Generates CRC checksums for all the resource files.");
This seems to be for building new resource files / crc etc.
Im not to certain yet how to use it though as it seems building these resource files need a manifest containing a list of all the files that should be added.
Anyone got a hint how these manifests need to be ordered ?.
Tr3B

Post by Tr3B »

I found some people who are left from the D3W community.

They are located at http://www.moddb.com/members/thehappyfr ... oom3world/

and http://idtechforums.fuzzylogicinc.com

reckless I don't have a lot of time to merge stuff by other people. Github really helps to collaborate. I already merged patches by other people with a single click.
Those git pull requests are really a nice feature. Fork my engine into your account, make a branch for a feature, do your commits and then make a pull request like Radegast this week. He patched in Mac OS X support.
Tr3B

Post by Tr3B »

toneddu2000 wrote:
Kot in Action team, with their Phaeton: Aurora's Journey seems to use BFG engine but their YouTube page is a little outdated and I didn't see any dev blog about using this engine for new games.
Iodoom3 doesn't use BFG and it seems dead even before started. :(
It is very difficult to make a game with the BFG code because of the Flash menu system. I would say it is almost impossible without the Flash source files available and I already asked: they won't be available.
The BFG engine is more or less a dead end. It is OK for gamers and modding like texture packs however it is not suited for total conversion development.
revelator

Post by revelator »

Np tr3b i allready forked your source :) just need to carry over my changes from the non git checkout.
Mostly some updates to the parts that were in the original doom + some fixes.

I had a feeling that might be the case, also why i originally opted for updating vanillas code with the BFG renderer and possbly networking also.
Atleast one guy here started doing that with his morpheus engine but im not sure how far he has gotten.
Last time i tried it would not run on my ATI cards but maybe he has fixed that.
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

Tr3B wrote:It is very difficult to make a game with the BFG code because of the Flash menu system. I would say it is almost impossible without the Flash source files available and I already asked: they won't be available.
The BFG engine is more or less a dead end. It is OK for gamers and modding like texture packs however it is not suited for total conversion development.
And, without using the Flash menu system? Is it possible anyway to create a game (maybe recreating a new GUI system)?
What about Doom3(not BFG)? Is that the same problem?
revelator

Post by revelator »

Vanilla Doom3 uses a non flash gui system so no problem there :)
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

Ah, ok then, thanks. The only thing not so clear to me is the scripting part. If I understood correctly, Doom3 has a big part of the game code made in C++ native code and weapons/AI stuff made in some sort of "DoomScript" which is more like an interpreted VM language (a little like quakec). I didn't find any site where this difference is explained and HOW to use it. Very strange that ID didn't leave any guidelines. :shock:
revelator

Post by revelator »

A lot of those guides were on doom3world :(

but there should be other sources as well.

Doom3 uses a system not to far from Q2/Q3 when it comes to clientside effects in gamex86.dll,
besides that it uses scripts for materials / entity definitions / particle effects / etc.

Im no mapper by far and even i can mostly find my way around in the scripts :)
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

thanks, reckless
so gamecode -> c++ , game "entities" connected to maps -> scripts.
So, theorically a game would work even without scripts?
If someone knows other sources will be blessed! :)