What are you working on?

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
Seven

Re: What are you working on?

Post by Seven »

Hello gnounc,

I remember talking about the 'minimap' feature recently in that other forum (which is currently under idiots attack ... again).
You made it happen ! Woohw. Looks great. You do not need to call it 'crappy'. I would call it 'cool' :)
Your game´s avatar looks a bit like Judge Dredd ?
These are a lot of keys for weapons... are 2 hands enough to play ? :wink:
Nice work !

Hello jim,

I looked at your 4 screenshots with your palette.
The base shot has a little bit too much red in it for me. But I love the stone textures in your 4th screen.
Great.
SusanMDK

Post by SusanMDK »

At some point about everything brown was pink dither. Overall this one is working better than my previous attempts at organizing the palette like Quake. I'm thinking I'll use non .lmp formats for graphics, so they could use the intelligently ordered palette, and I could tweak the Quake compatible palette order without messing them/having to convert to a new order.

-

Yea, and that looks kind of lot keys needed to press. Maybe you could do it like the weapon selection menus in Half-Life.. press 1 for all the primary weapons, 2 for the secondary, 3 for armor and 4 for special. Pressing the key multiple times selects the different things from the group. Then just have some gfx for the current selection, so player knows which one is about to be selected, etc.
zbang!
Jukki

Post by Jukki »

gnounc

Post by gnounc »

thanks seven and Jim.
the hotkeys are just for picking your weapon during the draft rounds.
and even then they're completely optional, that menu is also mouse driven
the hotkeys are for experienced players already familiar with the weapons and items who want a faster draft
Shpuld

Post by Shpuld »

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1f15felmtmbax1c/secdude.png

Made a new player model, he's part of the security force on the space ship that my game will take place on.

628 tris, texture is a 128*128 RGB.
SusanMDK

Post by SusanMDK »

Shpuld: Looks cool. Maybe that head is a bit too round compared to the other stuff?

I was also working on my player model. Been tweaking his UVs for days now. Pretty sure H.P. Lovecraft was writing his stories about Blender's UV editor. I can still hear the endlessly repeating cries of the hideously distorted obscure masses of madness inducing polygons:"Blenderi-ri! Blenderi-ri!"

Eventually I managed to get through it and texture my model. Next I'll need to reanimate it.

846 tris. 256x128 texture.
zbang!
Shpuld

Post by Shpuld »

jim: I can totally see from your model that you've done a careful job with the UV's, can't see stretch anywhere. Very nice.
You know, I really like working with Blender's UV tools, I come from MS3D after all...

And another model from today, a civilian/worker on the space ship, managed to make him look like a total douche.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v8reyardwaunf ... .20.31.png

384 tris, 128*128 RGB texture.
SusanMDK

Post by SusanMDK »

Sure it's better than in MS3D, but it's missing a few features I'd like it to have:
1) Show connected vertices/edges/faces when I select vertices/edges/faces next to a seam without also selecting the other
2) Show the UV map without needing to select the polygons, and without breaking the UV groups when I move something around
3) Show edge distortion/stretch
4) Allow the default untextured grid to be any size (the generated uv/color grids are less useful, and where is a less insanely colored 1px grid without the Unaussprechlichen Runen?)
5) More options for snap.. what if I'd want to snap to half pixels?
6) Options to export UV map with black background with white lines and without the blur

Try to make a decent UV map of some complex object without looking into the 3D view at all.

And nice job on that civilian. Give him some facial hair, or like slightly darker tone on the areas where he have shaved.
zbang!
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Ironed out the GL_EXT_paletted_texture support (no more blue pixels), and made a far more suitable palette for Q3A data
Ironic for a game that pushed 32-bit color to look okay in 256 colors... when you take away the colored lighting and overbrights, you get mostly the familiar shades of Quake2 colors, so a lot of Q3 translates nicely to palette, even with a 15bpp lookup table. Even on id Tech 3 I can't seem to escape the fun of working with palettes. I could even pull a qbism and do per-map palette loading.

An advantage of this? Being able to use r_picmip 0 on 3dfx Voodoo2 without texture thrashing. :D
i should not be here
Spike

Post by Spike »

the gradients on the hud look horrible though. perhaps easiest to just disable the palette on those images
Nahuel

Post by Nahuel »

leilei i do not understand a word about you are talking , but your latest screenshoots are really awesome
hi, I am nahuel, I love quake and qc.
hogsy

Post by hogsy »

Not much to report here; slowly prepping to move our engine code over onto GitHub, I've already moved some of our issues over there and right now I'm just considering how I'm going to split everything up.

https://github.com/OldTimes-Software/ProjectKatana

And secondly I'm opening up a more personal blog here which I'm hoping to post some more in-depth and frequent updates...
http://hogsy.oldtimes-software.com/
SusanMDK

Post by SusanMDK »

This is the LAW! Freeze, punks! LAW stands for Light Automatic Weapon or Law Automatic Weapon. Inspired of the Law Pistol from X-Com Apocalypse. You could start the game with 2 of these, and maybe they have unlimited ammo.

230 tris. 128x128 texture.
zbang!
qbism

Post by qbism »

Sounds like GL_EXT_paletted_texture can give the best of both worlds - software look but with hardware acceleration. Will it do a 64-bit palette :twisted: ?

The LAW pistol is solid retro.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Did I ever mention my github?
i should not be here