Sprint - stamina

Non-technical talk about multiplayer and singleplayer gameplay and game design.
ajay

Sprint - stamina

Post by ajay »

I've (shockingly all by myself!) coded in a sprint system where you can sprint for 15 seconds, after which you're returned to a walking pace. While not sprinting you recover (at 1 second of potential sprinting time every 5 seconds) back up to your maximum.

The walking pace in the game is quite slow (sv_maxspeed 120) and the sprint is 250. It all works nicely, obviously the timings/comparative speed can be played with to get the best effect, but that's not my question.

Although I'm trying to be reasonably hud-free, (I'm going to remove my torch battery display soon) I still feel this sprinting/recovery needs some kind of guide for the player. The best I've thought of so far is having a "breathless" sound play while you're below 5 seconds of sprinting, but I'm really open to suggestions :)

Thanks for any ideas :)
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Re: Sprint - stamina

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

v_idlescale?
qbism

Post by qbism »

If the duration is only 2 or 3 seconds at peak speed and recovery is likewise quick, it may feel more intuitive to the player. Warsow does something like this.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Gore had a stamina system which was indicated by a meter, and progressively louder sound cues of breathing (and then finally heart beating and on the floor view dimmed when you're in the negative stamina). Holding a different weapon also had an effect on stamina while moving.
i should not be here