What are you working on?

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
Barnes

Re: What are you working on?

Post by Barnes »

Seven

Post by Seven »

sock,
How do you manage it to pop out all these great maps so fast ? :shock:

jim,
That is interesting, I am also working on bringing "player legs" into 1st person view.
Your player and princess are looking good. She is worth to be rescued :)

Barnes,
I like your Q2 engine. Last version I tried was V1.26 upd.2

I am currently working on some new things for the "small mod compilation".
- player legs in 1st person view
- visual "stretched" animation view when using teleporters
- some particles for the teleporters

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM-03k_VsVY
Barnes

Post by Barnes »

Seven
Tnx)
sock

Post by sock »

Seven wrote:sock, How do you manage it to pop out all these great maps so fast ? :shock:
Most of the map was made from scraps of brushwork I had lying around, that is why it was created so fast. I like the particle effects on your teleporters, looks nice and subtle. Not sure why showing legs in an FPS is worth doing?
I believe my latest map works well with your SMC mod :)
jakub wrote:i'just finished this jewel with smc and i'm impressed. somebody wrote: "it wasn't a chalange on hard". make no mistake, with smc it's definitely a real chalange. i took me almost 50 minutes to complete this level with 7/10 secretes.
Well he was evil, but he did build a lot of roads. - Gogglor
ajay

Post by ajay »

SusanMDK

Post by SusanMDK »

Thanks Seven. The Princess will also be playable. I've planned to have 4 characters for playing with "unique" abilities/powers. Didn't plan the weapons much yet. This would be like sci-fi, but also like some fantasy fairy tale.. Not yet sure what kind of weapons I should do.

I think it's nice to see more of player's body than just the hands in first person view. But I like it too, when the only thing in the first person view is just the gun without hands. Those Quakeguy legs look pretty good too.

Today I found out more about animating with Blender.. I make animations into actions and then I need to click a box to force save the actions into the model file, otherwise they're not saved. Then I also found out the SMD exporter doesn't export the Tris from Quad polygons the same way they appear in the viewports. So I need to manually triangulate the model before exporting. At least I got some idle animation done... :roll:

Remembered the view can be rotated during pause...
http://media.moddb.com/images/games/1/2 ... el_001.jpg
zbang!
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Nice design, could use more edgesplitting however. Learn to love 'mark as sharp'
i should not be here
qbism

Post by qbism »

RE SW Q2: Is this based off software FTEQW? For benefit of having hubs + inventory, likely easier to port lighting + FX to Q2 than HoT. But HoT can push barrels off ledge.

RE LEGS: qfusion has legs in quake 3. Looks very good. Just uses the legs part of player models.
Spike

Post by Spike »

qbism: I believe its a hybrid of vanilla q2 with a few of engoo's rendering features.
fte never supported coloured lighting with 8bit colour.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

qbism wrote:likely easier to port lighting + FX to Q2 than HoT
Having a ton of trouble with porting the model lighting however.
i should not be here
SusanMDK

Post by SusanMDK »

Tried that "mark as sharp" on a sword, worked pretty nicely on it. Maybe a bit too much bump on the bump map.

http://media.moddb.com/cache/images/gam ... ingame.jpg

I also improved the player model's skeleton/rig with some IK and better bone rolls for mirror copy animations, but didn't do any new animations yet.

edit: Here's some animations:
http://www.moddb.com/games/blaze/videos ... g#imagebox
zbang!
hogsy

Post by hogsy »

Been continuing work on OpenKatana, mainly still focusing on the Linux port right now as I'm currently primarily on Linux anyway right now. Engine is almost over and all that's left is sorting out a few libraries.

I've been writing out my own platform independent library just as a learning experience as I've gone along, so for anyone interested in that you can check it out here though don't expect much right now, especially since we're primarily using SDL2 for Katana so working on it hasn't really been my priority. If you're interested in helping out with it then feel free to let me know, any help at all is great since I can't spend as much time on it as I'd honestly like to.

And I've also set a repository up for QuakeKatana but again since I'm mainly focused on OpenKatana and my college work right now I've had little time to spend on it. There's some bits and bobs thrown up but I'm yet to throw the rest up sadly, so certainly when I next get the time I'll throw the rest up asap. Keep in mind that a lot of the code is still work in progress, so a lot of it will either be messy or unfinished, but hopefully overtime I'll clean it up and bring over fixes from OpenKatana.
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

Heh, just bought Daikatana on GoG last week.

The thing that jumps in front my eyes is how amateurish is the artwork in general, even for a 1997/1998 Quake mod standard.
The difficulty is unforgiving in the very first levels, important gameplay elements (doors, buttons, levers, etc) aren't easily distinguishable, lots of oversaturated colored lights and lots of dark corners, plain ugly models poorly animated.
The NPCs AI in general are a joke: they can completely ignore you in several situations (even if they are in the middle of a fight); in other occasions they freak out just seeing you.
TBH so far the sidekicks aren't being that annoying (mostly because I left them hanging in some safe corner and go exploring alone) and they even manage to (most of the time) navigate thru the levels without (much) human intervention.
That said, the tech wasn't up to the task back then, so they should just dropped the sidekicks (or make then only mandatory in small parts of the history).
In general I'd say it's bad, but not in a DNF way. Mostly unbalanced, unpolished, unfinished.

I hope you guys manage to bring something better. Heck, just looking your WIP pics I *AM SURE* you guys will make far better. :)
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
hogsy

Post by hogsy »

Well, Daikatana was certainly rushed and was supposed to be twice the game it ended up being, but was probably just way too ambitious for its time; levels were meant to be far less linear and larger, episodes were intended to be longer, there were meant to be way more items in the game, support for modifications, more dynamic environments (early maps made heavy usage of rotating brushes) and a far more in-depth storyline. It obviously didn't help that people kept on leaving during the games development either along with all the other drama that occurred at Ion Storm.

Since OpenKatana is literally based-on and around Daikatana as it was during its early days in development, when there was clearly a lot of positive/creative work going on towards the game, I guess it's not surprising how much better a lot of it might look to some people and indeed I hope it will be! We've spent a lot of time playing Daikatana and I'm pretty confident we wont make the same mistakes with OpenKatana :D
SusanMDK

Post by SusanMDK »

Another video.. this time some action with the sword. Sword swing direction controlled with player's movement direction. It's actually just one swing animation, the upper body gets twisted with code... Maybe sometimes it's a bit funny looking, but overall much simpler than making lots of different swing animations.

http://www.moddb.com/games/blaze/videos ... s#imagebox
zbang!