What are you working on?

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
r00k

Re: What are you working on?

Post by r00k »

simply scale the bike UP, look at the door a giant leaving that door can't ride that little bike! ;)
goldenboy

Post by goldenboy »

good point. Although compared to that door, the sidewalk is somewhat narrow, and the stripes on the street as well.

I guess the entire scale is slightly off.
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

One would be surprised as how narrow some real life sidewalks (and streets) are. :)

@ajay: don't try to make your mod 100% realistic: it's impossible, specially in a Quake engine. Of course, it's OK to try to fix more absurds things (players that can run at full speed all the time, or that can fight at full power even when badly hurt), but don't expend too much effort trying to fix things like small proportion inconsistences between scene elements. Specially in a mod where most of the map is in the dark, and people will be more concerned about the gameplay most of the time. If you have to choose between more realistic looks or expend more time tweaking gameplay, go for the second.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
goldenboy

Post by goldenboy »

frag.machine wrote:One would be surprised as how narrow some real life sidewalks (and streets) are. :)
The scale of various things in the scene is off. It's all there is to it. It has nothing to do with realism or not.
ajay

Post by ajay »

frag.machine wrote:One would be surprised as how narrow some real life sidewalks (and streets) are. :)

@ajay: don't try to make your mod 100% realistic: it's impossible, specially in a Quake engine. Of course, it's OK to try to fix more absurds things (players that can run at full speed all the time, or that can fight at full power even when badly hurt), but don't expend too much effort trying to fix things like small proportion inconsistences between scene elements. Specially in a mod where most of the map is in the dark, and people will be more concerned about the gameplay most of the time. If you have to choose between more realistic looks or expend more time tweaking gameplay, go for the second.

What he said ;)

The models couldn't be more placeholder if I had put a big box with "bike" written on it. As for the curbs and pavements and alleys etc, well the great thing about making a mod set in the UK is that any inconsistency I make is mirrored somewhere in real life! I lived round the corner from a street with curbs a foot deep, pavements 2 ft wide and doorways 5ft high. Oh, and this will be my default position on all such concerns ;)

Having said that I have already (about a year ago) shrunk the curbs and it wouldn't be too much work to do so again. I'm just thrilled to be working on it again, and having a monitor with a representative brightness :)
mankrip

Post by mankrip »

I agree with frag.machine. First you should get the whole mod to work, and then you can concentrate on adjusting things like that.

I'm working on a human model; the first thing I do is to get all vertexes and triangles working (as in, I know they will deform well when animating), and then I adjust the proportions, and then I finally rig them to an skeleton for animating. It's a "geometry first, proportions later" approach.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
Nahuel

Post by Nahuel »

Adjusting some number for the inventory for the release of the black days tech demo :) Also i am working in some entities and stuff , the mapper started this week the big-one map for the tech demo :) Hope we will finish the work in two months!
hi, I am nahuel, I love quake and qc.
mankrip

Post by mankrip »

Nahuel wrote:http://fotos.subefotos.com/7f06db595af0 ... 929c6o.jpg
Adjusting some number for the inventory for the release of the black days tech demo :) Also i am working in some entities and stuff , the mapper started this week the big-one map for the tech demo :) Hope we will finish the work in two months!
That looks amazing. Be sure to include a link in your sig for us to check it out.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

that does look pretty awesome, although the hands in inventory looks kind of weird.
Seven

Post by Seven »

Hello Nahuel,

Your inventory is well sorted and looks nice.
The HUD is even more impressive.
You really put a lot of love in this one. I like it.

The map "behind" your inventory is also very nice. Beautiful details.
... and the sun effect ! Beautiful.

Regarding the hand:
Obi-Wan created the Q1 monsters and weapons for his Doom3 mod "shambler castle".
His models are free to use.
Maybe that hand (used for the axe) is looking a bit "better" ?

Great work Nahuel !
I am looking forward to the Tech demo.
sock

New Q1SP: Backsteingotik

Post by sock »

Download Link - http://www.simonoc.com/files/maps/sp/backstein1e.zip
Readme File - http://www.simonoc.com/files/maps/sp/ba ... readme.txt
Example Screenshot - http://www.simonoc.com/images/design/sp/backstein3l.jpg

Just finished another Quake SP map, a towering monolithic brick structure soaked in hot yellow lighting with a skill selection area at the beginning, some crushers and a couple of secrets to keep you wandering around in circles.

The map was inspired by the gameplay of E3M5 and features medieval style pickups, some new keys and a couple of powerup models. The textures are mostly from ID and the gameplay is vanilla Quake!

If you want to play the map with your own engine settings check the readme file for further details. The map was only tested with Fitz 0.85 and remember to RECORD A DEMO and email me a download link, I want to see how you play the map! :)
Well he was evil, but he did build a lot of roads. - Gogglor
qbism

Post by qbism »

Sock the map looks great. I'm wondering if some of the wind tunnel triggers are placed a bit too high. Some are hard to 'snag' but work more easily with gravity set lower.

Why pick 2009 FQ over something like 2012 DirectQ 1.9? Nothing against FQ but DQ is a step or two ahead of it in development while being both stable and maintaining glquake look-and-feel. I don't mean it as 'which one is better' so much as 'which one is better suited'. Maybe there are drawbacks to DQ from a mappers perspective, I don't know. Many mappers use mh tools but pass by on the engine for some reason.
sock

Post by sock »

qbism wrote:Why pick 2009 FQ over something like 2012 DirectQ 1.9?
Fitz/MarkV/QS are the engines that most people at Func use and the majority of Quake SP is centered around that forum. It is frustrating from a mappers POV to have to test your map on so many different engines, I just want to work with one engine, so I picked Fitz as most people can run it.

The triggers for the wind tunnels I got from the original map. They should behave the same as the original (E3M5) map.
Well he was evil, but he did build a lot of roads. - Gogglor
Spike

Post by Spike »

sounds like you need a random-engine-runner script!
ajay

Post by ajay »

Just christened my new PC by completing Quake! Had to be the first game played. Got to admit it's was pretty wonderful, some levels I hadn't played for years and I was surprised how much they surprised me! Also, I'd forgotten how much damage Shamblers take. Anyway, decorating means my pc is being stored away for a week, but then I'm into heavy earthQuake "redux"; I'm going to overhaul almost everything, starting with the map, making it more multi-level and less "clean", tidying up, improving textures and generally making it wonderful. Happy days.