qw progs

Discuss programming in the QuakeC language.
necros

qw progs

Post by necros »

how do you compile these? do you have to use different compilers? i tried with frikqcc, but it gives strange errors...

forgive the noobishness, hehe :P

also, what exactly is the difference between, say, spprogs.dat and progs.dat? is it hard to add new qc that was originally written for netquake into spprogs? (assuming i can even get it to compile, hehe)
FrikaC
Site Admin

Post by FrikaC »

what kind of errors?

Straight up qw 2.30 qw qc compiles fine with all frikqcc versions. FrikQCC would be useless if it didn't, since it's all basically standard QuakeC.
necros

bleh

Post by necros »

looks like i wasn't using a stock qw progs like i thought. nothing to see here, folks. :P
Baker

Re: bleh

Post by Baker »

necros wrote:looks like i wasn't using a stock qw progs like i thought. nothing to see here, folks. :P
Necros, here is the source for QuakeWorld's spprogs.dat (the single player for FuhQuake/EZQuake).

Download spprogs-src.zip

It can be compiled with FTEQCC (download link) and the output file should be named spprogs.dat to function properly with FuhQuake/EZQuake ... I learned this the hard way. If it is named qwprogs.dat, the single player save/load menu does not look the expected location.
necros

Post by necros »

thanks, baker :)

i managed to get a spprogs working earlier by using the qwprogs as a base and just pluging in the missing SP parts.

it's very annoying because particle and TE_EXPLOSION2 tempentity was removed. :\
Baker

Post by Baker »

necros wrote:thanks, baker :)

i managed to get a spprogs working earlier by using the qwprogs as a base and just pluging in the missing SP parts.

it's very annoying because particle and TE_EXPLOSION2 tempentity was removed. :\
Some things I leanred about Quakeworld and single player, particularly some of the surprises I discovered. None of are related to QuakeC -- they have to do with the Quakeworld protocol or how the engines are setup presently to handle things.

1. Existing "creative" maps sometimes have items fall out of the map, like Coagula style maps with armor suspended in the air, as one example. Kinda of a big problem if it's the gold or silver key :D This can also happen in DarkPlaces as Lardarse discovered (the secret Yellow armor on SM82 falls out of the map, for instance).

Fairly infrequent. An engine author could probably explain why this happens.

2. Host_Error: sv.num_signon_buffers == max_signon_buffers - 1

Seems to affect maps with high entity counts. Spike explained it (link), but I don't claim to understand it. But the end result, is certain maps simply won't load (trincasp2, Hangover Devastation).

The next version of EZQuake has a fix in it that solves this issue, but older versions (pretty much all QW users presently) and all FuhQuake users will have the problem.

3. Spike explained another issue that I had with FuhQuake/EZQuake that led to invisible monsters, healthboxes, etc. Quakeworld's protocol is limited to "64 entities, items, monsters, or doors" in view at the same time. This doesn't seem to hardly ever happen with old Quake maps, but seemed to happen on a few especially with large open areas (ananke was one map with the problem, so was a void map named oblivion). Spike seemed to imply that this could be changed/fixed in EZQuake.

Just mentioning these things because I know you make a lot of gigantic maps with 200 monsters, heheh :D :D