"Octoberfest"

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

"Octoberfest"

Post by scar3crow »

No, not the beer thing. October, month of Halloween - a month where I personally like to partake of only things that are spooky or dark in some way, including music, games, movies, and tv. Serious or not, as long as it has a dark aspect (aka things like The Munsters and Addams Family are a go because they are focused around 'spooky' stuff).

So a friend informed me of some competition she stumbled upon online for fun, 31 horror movies in 31 nights - updating a comment or thread on a forum with the horror movies you had seen as of that point in the month.

So heres the "challenge", you can watch movies, but Im more looking for ammunition for myself, - update this thread with movies that fit the Halloween atmosphere, as well as scary games, Quake mods and maps, music, short stories (bonus points if we can find them online), random silly online things or serious online things such as links to haunted locations, things of the sort.

Basically just provide Halloween material for everyone else reading so that we may all enjoy this time of the year.

I will start with a few things
Watch the original 1960s version of The Haunting
Play FrikaC and Asaki's speedmods from QExpo06
Research your local region for 'haunted activity' (regardless of if you believe in ghosts its kind of fun)

If anyone knows of good creepy Quake sp maps that just have good atmosphere, I would GREATLY appreciate linkage for such.
Chris

Post by Chris »

Entar

Post by Entar »

Well, off the top of my head for halloween type movies:

Chucky movies
The Haunting (90's version)
Panic Room (does that count?)
xaGe

Post by xaGe »

Jess, JESSSS!!... Very good...

I that a gas can I see? heh...
Chris wrote:Image

http://thehunted.ru1337.com

Zombies good?
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

http://www.quaddicted.com/filebase/hhouse.zip
There was another "haunted" map, a speedmap I think, where you got distorted fov after going through a teleporter. I can't find it at the moment though.
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

Chillo's Wee2. Creepy (if a little overused nowadays) quiet theremin rendition of 'valse sentimentale' that makes you turn up the speakers, the wallpaper completes the atmosphere... and it remains to this day the only thing of scary nature that has ever made me cry out in shock! :D! Jumped back in my chair as well.
F. A. Špork, an enlightened nobleman and a great patron of art, had a stately Baroque spa complex built on the banks of the River Labe.
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

Sajt - Link?

Spirit - Good map, though hardly spooky (with better lighting it couldve been, the lighting was its fault, the inside was too bright and had no shadow in a situation that could have had excellent shadows). However I did find the scrags drifting around the 3rd floor windows to be a bit tense, as they would glide past silently, hit you with a single bit of acid and keep on going - it was the ideal scenario to encounter scrags - particularly because you didnt know how many you were dealing with. Excellent map in terms of gameplay, just coulda been a lot spookier with greater attention to lighting indoors.

Entar - Chucky always seemed so comical to me, but Im yet to see the original so maybe its worth a watch? The Haunting remake has some nifty moments but it pales significantly next to the original. Panic Room has some tension but thats not really Halloweenish.

Chris - Zombies are very good, I should give that a go soon.

Remember what I mentioned of posting other things such as strange occurances in your region, creepy photos and so on. I just want a steady stream of spooky stuff leading up to Halloween =)
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

Doom. The original one. Yes, I'm serious. I remember my first run in with the CyberDemon on the Tower of Babel map. Even today, the original sprite version of the cyberdemon scares the crap outta me when I look really close at it.
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

Doom can in some circumstances still be scary, but more due to the power of the enemies, such as the Cyberdemon (but also the Arch Vile...). However in terms of difficulty causing fear, Blood in deathmask style... It is where you play the game on the hardest difficulty setting and if you die, you have to restart the episode. No saves (aside from I think as a bookmark at the beginning of a level iirc) and due to the monsters in Blood dishing out the damage quite handily... you are much more fearful of the monsters. I personally dont like this on the hardest skill, not because of the number of monsters or the damage they do, but that theyre just stupidly tough - as in it looks odd to see them taking so much damage without dying.

In spooky news, Ive been reading up on local haunts so to speak... apparently there is an abandoned hospital about 15 minutes from me where a particularly bad surgeon used to reside who always botched the job. Seems to be that you can hear screams of the patients buried behind the hospital at night and other such things. Fun stuff.
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Not a good photo but it's kinda creepy ("old american spookhouse") so here it is: http://spirit.enjoys.it/photos/spirit_halloween_1.jpg
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

Kinda creepy looking, the house would be a good set for a movie I bet, or at least dark outside shots.

Ive been browsing crimelibrary.com and just read up on the local Harpe brothers who were around right about the time of the American Revolution, apparently went on quite the rampage in Tennessee, Kentucky, and some of Illinois... Now Im reading about Joachim Kroll the serial murderer-rapist-necrophile-cannibal from Germany. Wer ist das mein teil?
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Wer ist das mein teil? <- uhm, what? :>

The "Mein Teil" guy was Armin Meiwes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armin_Meiwes
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

My German is about as skilled as... hrmm... Quest's diet of no cookies.

And yes I know Armin Meiwes is the guy who inspired the song Mein Teil (as well as Eaten by Bloodbath), it just reminded me - though these accounts were not consensual and circling around homoerotic bondage, but merely abduction and assault.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISBeBuVKXL0
Not exactly Halloweenish, but the end kind of creeped me out. Look up Johnnie Baima for more info after youve watched the clip.
Supa

Post by Supa »

http://www.explorationstation.co.uk/hellingly.html

Abandoned building sites are pretty good for this subject - as well as level ideas. =)
aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Entar

Post by Entar »

scar3crow wrote:Entar - Chucky always seemed so comical to me, but Im yet to see the original so maybe its worth a watch? The Haunting remake has some nifty moments but it pales significantly next to the original. Panic Room has some tension but thats not really Halloweenish.
I never saw Chucky movies at all, but they looked scary - dunno.

Yeah, the Haunting remake was scary in certain parts, but real great - just thought I'd throw that out there since you were looking for ideas.

Panic Room - agreed.