"FitzQuake Plus": An Easy Engine To Compile

Discuss programming topics for the various GPL'd game engine sources.
Baker

Re: "FitzQuake Plus": An Easy Engine To Compile

Post by Baker »

Jukki this is solved. I made a dumb mistake with the hulls when HLBSP is running.

I'll post an updated version of this engine and list the changes made here so you can update your engine easily. The changes are few.
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
Jukki

Post by Jukki »

Yeii thank you :D
Baker

Post by Baker »

Jukki wrote:Yeii thank you :D
You have an extra coming too. :D Your Half-Life alpha textures will work. :D If you used the expected prefix of "{" (I haven't checked, but I'm sure you guys did).
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
Jukki

Post by Jukki »

Double yeii. Any way you could check the pink texture on weapon models. I tryed to do this but couldnt find a way. It is needed for weapon scope.

If you have ime ofcourse.
Baker

Post by Baker »

Jukki wrote:Double yeii. Any way you could check the pink texture on weapon models. I tryed to do this but couldnt find a way. It is needed for weapon scope.

If you have ime ofcourse.
What gun has a problem? Like what do I need to do to activate this gun so I can see the problem?

Or could you post a screenshot of problem.

[Remember, I'm not super-familiar with your mod or your guns. And my imagination sucks. No promises on this one --- but I have a guess that you'd like color 255 to be transparent on guns like it is with, say, Kurok?]
Jukki

Post by Jukki »

Yes, the scope of the twosnipers, just like with kuroks (not there might be a external texture used for scope.mdl, cant remeber if i did remove it)
Baker

Post by Baker »

Jukki wrote:Yes, the scope of the twosnipers, just like with kuroks (not there might be a external texture used for scope.mdl, cant remeber if i did remove it)
How do I activate this weapon in what you sent me? Like what impulse or key do I press?
Jukki

Post by Jukki »

Oh, go to map test_buy. That will have all the buyable weapons in the game (incase you run out of points use impulse 232, it gives you moneh)

Dont have any weapon cheat impulses currently
Baker

Post by Baker »

Something you *REALLY* must change to conform to standards:

Use the Half-Life standard for alpha masked textures (see this http://www.egir.dk/index.php?page=wal_t ... arent.html )

1. You must prefix these textures with "{" so "metal_rail" needs to be "{metal_rail" [Half-Life standard as the way Valve did things.]
2. In your WAD3 textures, you need to set the color 255 like in the above link. [Half-Life standard as the way Valve did things.]

Now ... you are probably saying "DarkPlaces uses whatever alpha is in external textures". This is evil incarnate for most non-DarkPlaces engines and definitely for the mild set of changes I tried to do here. A surface in a game shouldn't rely on an external texture alpha channel. If I want to cheat, all I need to do is edit the external texture for a door and suddenly I have a fence texture door. And I didn't even have to attempt to edit a map.

I was thinking of making it do this anyway, but if I do it just destroys all ideas for any kinds of standards. I won't claim to know how this works in Quake 3 or other games, and while adding alpha texture support to Quake is in its own way "creating a new standard" ... but I have been sticking to the Half-Life map as it is known.

(* DarkPlaces is a modder convenience engine has its own set of goals. And that's ok for DarkPlaces.)
Baker

Post by Baker »

Check private messages. You'll find an updated version of your engine source and an .exe. (It isn't using FitzQuake Plus as the base, it's been upgraded to Fitzquake Mark V which is really quite a better base engine.) Put that .exe in your NZP folder and try it.

Although you need to do what is outlined above to follow the way Half-Life maps do alpha masked textures, you can preview what it would look like ...

Type r_texpref_fence "metal" and load "warehouse". You will notice the metal rail texture is an alpha mask texture.

All the alpha mask textures need to start with "{" in your wad3 and in the map, then they will load as you expect.
Baker

Post by Baker »

Create a default.cfg in your NZP directory with the following contents:
vid_fullscreen "0"
vid_height "272"
vid_refreshrate "60"
vid_vsync "1"
vid_width "480"
viewsize "120"
volume "0.412500"
r_fbrighthack_list "progs/scope.mdl,progs/flame.mdl,progs/flame2.mdl,progs/boss.mdl"
+mlook
Jukki

Post by Jukki »

ok thank you :)
Jukki

Post by Jukki »

Thank you baker, we can now finaly walk without fear of getting stuck :D (btw, the scope fix didnt seem to work thought, but everything else do)
Baker

Post by Baker »

Jukki wrote:btw, the scope fix didnt seem to work thought, but everything else do)
I didn't do "your scope texture color like Kurok". But I suppose I will. :D I already have such an option coded, I just need to pull it in.
Jukki

Post by Jukki »

Oh ok XD Anyways thank you :) That bug was driving me nuts