Help wanted-DP survival-horror game

Discuss programming in the QuakeC language.
That_Guy

Help wanted-DP survival-horror game

Post by That_Guy »

I'm looking for a coder for a Darkplaces...would it be a game or mod...I think it would be a game, but I don't know. Anyways, I need a coder for a game I am working on (in concept stage atm, but we need to see what all we can do and code in some basic features & the first half of the story).

The game is currently called Fragments and it is a first person survival-horror game with the horror stylings of Silent Hill. The gameplay will have mostly adventure elements, some small stealth aspects, and some semi-intricate melee combat. The camera angle will hopefully be like that of Breakdown for the X-box, there the player is literally looking out of the character's eyes.

I've talked to Chris and he has said that some things (a light-sesitive monster, something basically like a mobile version of the health stations in HL1enemies that only attack when the player can see them) were possible, but I don't know...I need someone who like horror and working on a team with people skills to prove me wrong.

Work might be slow as we start up, but the pace will pick up as we get more things done

If anyone's interested, email me at:

thatguynm@gmail.com

and for more information, check out my post here:

http://www.dreamdawn.com/sh/forum/viewtopic.php?t=605
Tei

Re: Help wanted-DP survival-horror game

Post by Tei »

Absolutelly great and looking good here!
I hope something is released, even a single map experience :D
That_Guy

Post by That_Guy »

Thanks, I hope we finish the whole thing

EDIT:

here are some monster designs and the promo I scribbled then messed with in photoshop. and the last one is a untextured wood plank (the multicoloredness is the product of 3ds max)
FrikaC
Site Admin

Post by FrikaC »

That is so totally cool.
Tei

Post by Tei »

I whas wanting to make a "low tech" mod for years. I mean, quit superpowerfull weapons like nailgun, and add "nerfed" weapons. So combat become more hard and more realism. It smell like your mod will have this low tech feel AND horror games fear :D
That_Guy

Post by That_Guy »

indeed, all but three (or four) weapons will be melee, and most of those can and sometimes will break (but I have an idea on how that might not be fustrating). Not all "broken" weapons will be useless, like the bottle, when it breaks, it deals more damage...but once the katana (based off this cheap americana one I foolishly bought once) breaks, it does less damage and its range is shortened.

But I need some coders te help me out to see what I can & can't do with dp

UPDATE:

here's a few of the weapons I thought could be in my game...

.45 calibre handgun (limited range, has the most abundant ammo, decent stopping power)
shotgun (short range, wide spread, great stopping power)
hatchet (unbreakable, one handed)
wooden plank (breakable, two handed)
1 1/2' pvc pipe (breakable, onehanded)
3' steel pipe(unbreakable, two handed)
tazer (stuns enemies, onehanded, tends to short out)
35mm camera (stuns light sensitive enemies in the area, can help you navigate dark rooms, no film)
chainsaw (fan favorite, requires gasoline)
baseball bat (cheaply made, doesn't break, but does become damaged, when damaged (bent in reference to paranoia agent) does less damage)
glass shard (onehanded, breaks almost instantly after 5 or 6 uses)

that's just a few of the weapons I've thought about.

but I also need coders so I can figure out how to animate everything (because I'm going for the pov of Project Breakdown).
That_Guy

Post by That_Guy »

Here's some visuals...not much, but it's what we've got at the moment:

leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Focus less on concept and more on actual implementation - I failed to do so and it got me killed.
i should not be here
That_Guy

Post by That_Guy »

well, I would, but we can't do much without a coder, because before we do anything, we have to see how the camera angle will work. and do we need a coder to put things in game?