Custom Glsl for darkplaces

Discuss programming topics that involve the OpenGL API.
Nahuel

Custom Glsl for darkplaces

Post by Nahuel »

Hello !! Currently i am experimenting with glsl for darkplaces. I know that i can custom the glsl shaders. I have many questions about this :) but now i ask how can i achieve this??
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29_0qL1gTOc
What is the process to achieve this shader??
Thanks in advance :)
hi, I am nahuel, I love quake and qc.
leileilol

Re: Custom Glsl for darkplaces

Post by leileilol »

First you'll have to dump the glsl shader file out of Darkplaces while running it. There's a console command that does it, r_glsl_dumpshader

Then, you examine this newly dumped default.glsl file in your gamedir/glsl folder with notepad or editpad++ or whatever

Scroll down to "#ifdef USEPOSTPROCESSING"

You'll see an example of a blur postprocess effect. Evidently this is where you will begin
i should not be here
Nahuel

Post by Nahuel »

leileilol wrote:First you'll have to dump the glsl shader file out of Darkplaces while running it. There's a console command that does it, r_glsl_dumpshader

Then, you examine this newly dumped default.glsl file in your gamedir/glsl folder with notepad or editpad++ or whatever

Scroll down to "#ifdef USEPOSTPROCESSING"

You'll see an example of a blur postprocess effect. Evidently this is where you will begin
Thank you!
I have another strange problem :? :?
darkplaces locate my screenshoots, glsl, envmaps, cfg, darkplaces_history, sav etc in "mydocuments/mygames/darkplaces" :( WTF????????????
mh

Post by mh »

Nahuel wrote:I have another strange problem :? :?
darkplaces locate my screenshoots, glsl, envmaps, cfg, darkplaces_history, sav etc in "mydocuments/mygames/darkplaces" :( WTF????????????
All games should do that these days, it's the way things are supposed to work. If you're logged on as a non-admin you likely won't have write permission to the game directory, plus this is compatible with roaming profiles, folder redirection, and prevents your stuff from interfering with the saves/etc of anyone else who may be using the computer.

You can probably change it but I don't know how.
We had the power, we had the space, we had a sense of time and place
We knew the words, we knew the score, we knew what we were fighting for
Nahuel

Post by Nahuel »

mh wrote:
Nahuel wrote:I have another strange problem :? :?
All games should do that these days, it's the way things are supposed to work. If you're logged on as a non-admin you likely won't have write permission to the game directory, plus this is compatible with roaming profiles, folder redirection, and prevents your stuff from interfering with the saves/etc of anyone else who may be using the computer.

You can probably change it but I don't know how.
i just deleted the folder :? "my games", and the problem dissapear , also i am the admin of this pc :?:?
Spike

Post by Spike »

with windows, even if you're the admin, you don't have admin rights unless you click the 'yes I want to allow this program to screw over my machine' button in the uac prompts, so admin or not, you don't have write access.
mh

Post by mh »

And even if you are the admin and have set everything up correctly (e.g. by modifying the security on your Quake folder) you still should use My Documents for full compatibility. I know that there are valid reasons to want to not use it sometimes, so it's a balancing act.
We had the power, we had the space, we had a sense of time and place
We knew the words, we knew the score, we knew what we were fighting for
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

Sorry guys to resume this very old thread but maybe you experienced programmers know well how to create glsl effects in DP, but honestly I can't even understand which files are involved in the process! :)
ok:
1) I dump the shader with the r_glsl_dumpshader command. The shader is in my glsl folder. correct
2) I open the default.glsl and I write my own glsl code in this file(or I should create a new file with my new effect, like foo.glsl ?). Then?

How can I "load" that effect? In quakec? Via console with the stuffcmd command?
Really I can't find any clues online

Thanks you guys
Meadow Fun!! - my first commercial game, made with FTEQW game engine
Spike

Post by Spike »

darkplaces' default.cfg overrides every single surface unconditionally. You don't have a choice to do it per-surface unless you can either figure out some way to use a permutation only for your entity of your choice, or arrange for some testable condition via the colormod field or something and depend upon dynamic branching.
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

for "default.cfg" did you mean default.cfg in the data folder or default.glsl?
Spike

Post by Spike »

default.glsl sorry.
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

ah,ok. So if I understood correctly,once the default.glsl is loaded the effect/s are always "active" so there isn't a way to enable/disable it?
Spike

Post by Spike »

there's always dynamic branching, using something like colormod or some such.
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

I don't know what colormod is, but I tried Sunday to add a new glsl cvar in DP and in the next days I'll try to add GLSL code to it. If I have success I'll post tests in this thread