QMB Engine goes crossplatform via SDL

Discuss programming topics for the various GPL'd game engine sources.
Labman

QMB Engine goes crossplatform via SDL

Post by Labman »

Source available at: https://github.com/DrLabman/QMB

Using the SDLQuake source (http://www.libsdl.org/projects/quake/) I managed to get QMB working on Linux using the SDL libraries. SDLQuake originally only supported SDL for software rendering but I created an OpenGL version of the SDL video code for QMB.

Important information:
  • I've only tested building this on Linux (Fedora 16)
  • Networking isn't working yet
  • Compiling (before porting to SDL) was tested on windows using MinGW + MSYS (not Visual Studio)
  • Compiling (after porting to SDL) has not been tested on windows
  • Expect issues?
If you give it a go let me know if it works. If you have issues post here or on github, whichever you feel like.
Last edited by Labman on Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
r00k

Re: QMB goes crossplatform via SDL

Post by r00k »

Nice to see you back working on your engine!
Spike

Post by Spike »

regarding networking... don't use sdlnet - it doesn't work for protocols which are not inherantly nat-safe (ie: might work for QW, but for NQ you'd have to entirely rewrite at least net_dgram.c). you're probably better off using #ifdefs to hide the bsd/win sockets api differences, or retain specific platform versions of sockets code, and depend upon net_null.c or whatever it is for weird systems.
FTE uses a single .c file for all platforms (win+lin+bsd+mac+droid). The only platform which doesn't really work for that is google's nativeclient stuff, where there's no udp support at all anyway. Yes, winsock does have some differences, but an #ifdef _WIN32 covers those, mostly with just #defines in a header file. Disclaimer: I've not made an ios port, which doesn't seem to be legally possible anyway, nor a wii/psp/etc, all of which generally require jailbreaking.
Labman

Post by Labman »

Thanks for the advice on the networking, hopefully I'll get around to that once I fix all the bugs that seem to have turned up after I thought things were working... :)
Baker

Post by Baker »

At first I was thinking the "QMB particle engine" and kind of confused that isn't platform locked.

Now it sunk in and I understand that you mean the QMB engine like as "Flying something pan" where something is something I can't quite remember. Sauce?
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
Labman

Re: QMB Engine goes crossplatform via SDL

Post by Labman »

I guess is should have been more specific that it's the QMB Quake Engine that has gone crossplatform :)

Current site is still at: http://qmb.gluonporridge.net/
revelator

Post by revelator »

Welcome back :) looking forward to a new QMB loved your old one.
Productivity is a state of mind.
szo

Post by szo »

Labman wrote:I guess is should have been more specific that it's the QMB Quake Engine that has gone crossplatform
I can't see crosss-platform character in this: you can't even link because the makefile doesn't know about case sensitivity for -lglee, which makes me wonder how it was compiled without issues on a fedora linux setup. Not to mention the mingw, msys and dxsdk funnies still being passed to gcc when not compiling for win32. Needs some _serious_ work, for sure.
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

I could compile it on Archlinux with only minor code changes (paths and one function).
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
szo

Post by szo »

Spirit wrote:I could compile it on Archlinux with only minor code changes (paths and one function).
Well, of course you can: after wrestling with the makefile which is one major incompatible element in that git repo (didn't bother looking for further.) Upon seeing something labeled as "cross platform", one would (possibly naively) expect something that really is, at least something that really compiles as advertised. Well, whatever.
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

I never touched the makefile, maybe I should have, no idea. Here is all I did https://github.com/DrLabman/QMB/issues/1
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
revelator

Post by revelator »

if you want i have a version of your 1.19 source converted to use codeblocks should make the porting easier on linux (you still need to apply your sdl code).
it also has other fixes like fix for unsafe printf buffers (bsd version of vsnprintf) infintite view matrix and underwater warping (mh's) and i cleaned up the texture code a bit + added a much later version of the tga code which handles flipped tga's correctly and supports more formats.
With codeblocks you can avoid the makefile stuff alltogether as it also works on linux and you get a quite good editor also.

Let me know if you want it ?
revelator

Post by revelator »

http://code.google.com/p/realm/download ... z&can=2&q=

uploaded the source here in case you want a look.
Labman

Post by Labman »

I'd prefer to stick with a makefile because it means, less dependencies for building. Builds are working for me, that's why I announced it, also I've only built it on one platform hence why I said 'expect issues'. There does seem to be a problem with GLee headers being in different places in different linux distributions. It's still a work in progress, but it should be minor things that need fixing not any major code changes to get a build working.
revelator

Post by revelator »

Thats ok :) allthough the only dependency you would need is codeblocks and packages exist for nearly every linux distro out there anyway. You can also make it spit out makefiles instead of doing them by hand, helps a great deal and when done you dont need codeblocks to build it. As for fixes the only one absolutely needed is the print buffer one as all newer gfx cards will crash unless this ones in (atleast on windows).
rest are just additions or updates.