ProQuake 4.70 PSP Build

Discuss programming topics for the various GPL'd game engine sources.
Baker

Re: ProQuake 4.70 PSP Build

Post by Baker »

mh wrote:The D3D documentation is a special kind of awesome. I was hugely frustrated by it at first, but as time went on I really came to appreciate all of the useful info in it. And you're right - it does lead to a better understanding of how things work in general, which does help a lot with OpenGL too.
I'm kind of drifting off the topic of the thread, but conversation is where you find it ...

Microsoft excels at documentation like no other company I think has ever existed. It is really shocking to me that the OpenGL peoples (Kronos Group or whatever) and you can actually substitute others names there (Apple's developer documentation is long winded, detailed and explains absolutely nothing. Developing on Apple platforms requires constant Googling with "stackoverflow.com" in the search phrase).

OpenGL's documentation and samples for any version of the API are so bad that "Nehe" tutorials are the standard for figuring out OpenGL and that is like having to learn about Star Trek from a fan page.

OpenGL's documentation is so bad, that I have historically added +"MSDN" to Google queries for OpenGL stuff because OpenGL documentation doesn't even say stuff like like what the default values are for anything and Microsoft's OpenGL documentation does.
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
mh

Post by mh »

Baker wrote:OpenGL's documentation is so bad, that I have historically added +"MSDN" to Google queries for OpenGL stuff because OpenGL documentation doesn't even say stuff like like what the default values are for anything and Microsoft's OpenGL documentation does.
The sad irony is that Microsoft's OpenGL documentation is actually the best. What OpenGL really needs (aside from sorting out the mess with drivers) is a proper SDK. One containing a big fat fully indexed, searchable, and cross-linked help file that you can download and use offline, and stuffed full of useful info, tips, sample code, applications that actually compile and run correctly, tools that just work without needing to invoke the Elder Gods on your PC, a debugging layer, and so on.

When a D3D app goes wrong you can be almost 100% certain that you've made a mistake in your own code. You high-tail it to the help file, do some searches, read the relevant articles, use PIX and the debug runtimes, fix stuff, and continue being productive. When an OpenGL app goes wrong you often have no idea whatsoever what's going on. That shouldn't have happened, it shouldn't have been allowed to happen, and the situation sucks mightily.
We had the power, we had the space, we had a sense of time and place
We knew the words, we knew the score, we knew what we were fighting for
dr_mabuse

Post by dr_mabuse »

You are going too much offtopic :lol: :lol: :lol:

I found another strange bug in ProQuake 4.70 PSP:

This enemy is a normal Quake MDL, textured and it looks normal on the PC with any Quakeclient, but not on the PSP.
All maps are in HLBSP format, and it doesnt happen to my other 3 enemys.
Baker

Post by Baker »

Status: At least a week but I'm guessing 2 weeks ... I assure everyone an update to this will happen WILL happen. I'm juggling a lot of stuff right now.

(I know a couple of ppl are wanting this. And I want it.)
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
dr_mabuse

Post by dr_mabuse »

Nice to hear ;)

Will we able to use external skyboxes as jpg/pcx??
Baker

Post by Baker »

dr_mabuse wrote:Nice to hear ;)

Will we able to use external skyboxes as jpg/pcx??
If there is external texture support (99.9% on that) it will absolutely be .PCX version 5 ONLY (256-color palette) and probably only supporting the exact size of the texture it is replacing.

See this Engine X screenshot (although not a PSP Engine) ...:

In the above screenshot, ALL of the in-game replacement textures are PCX version 5 (256 color) ... which is 100% of everything in that screenshot.
dr_mabuse

Post by dr_mabuse »

Nice, PCX is ok :)
Making skyboxes for Kurok and ProQuake was always a pain:

http://bladebattles.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=714

PCX should do the job ;)

EDIT: i love the Engine X HUD :D
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

another request i would like would be to add extra buttons such like button0 and to have them bindable via the options menu like any other button. my psp doesn't like to save binds (even through cfg,) and binding impulses to buttons on the psp is tedious. not to mention sometimes impulses don't work out too well when trying to code certain things.
Baker

Post by Baker »

impulses don't work out too well when trying to code certain things.
Example? Just so I can understand what you are thinking and why.
ceriux wrote:another request i would like would be to add extra buttons such like button0 and to have them bindable via the options menu like any other button. my psp doesn't like to save binds (even through cfg,) and binding impulses to buttons on the psp is tedious. not to mention sometimes impulses don't work out too well when trying to code certain things.
I'm leaning against this idea as the means to solve the problem. But leaning towards solving this issue in another manner:
mankrip wrote:If you were using Makaqu, all you'd have to do is to add these lines to autoexec.cfg:

Code: Select all

menu_keys_addcmd "impulse 13" Kick
menu_keys_addcmd "impulse 14" "Buy Menu"
The reason I think button support isn't ideal is isn't that just an alternate implementation of fixed-aliases? If I am wrong about this or not seeing something I should be seeing, let me know.
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

well once i tried to code a secondary fire for some gun for someone and the way we wanted it to work wouldn't because it was impulsed based button press instead of a button calling the impulse i suppose? basically regular fire was semi automatic while secondary was supposed to be fully automatic. so with out hacky qc (my opinion) it wasn't achievable. i'm not sure of a good example, but i'v come across it a couple times. (i was also told that a +use button is the proper way to make a use/interact feature, that impulses work, but aren't ideal.)
Baker

Post by Baker »

ceriux wrote:well once i tried to code a secondary fire for some gun for someone and the way we wanted it to work wouldn't because it was impulsed based button press instead of a button calling the impulse i suppose? basically regular fire was semi automatic while secondary was supposed to be fully automatic. so with out hacky qc (my opinion) it wasn't achievable. i'm not sure of a good example, but i'v come across it a couple times. (i was also told that a +use button is the proper way to make a use/interact feature, that impulses work, but aren't ideal.)
Do you have an example of some QC that uses the DarkPlaces button feature?

If I decide to do it, I would need something to provide a basis for testing.
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

i'm sorry i don't -.-
Baker

Post by Baker »

I'm looking at this tutorial and thinking ...

http://www.quakewiki.net/quakesrc/112.html

I don't inherently have a problem with the idea of button support, but I'm not seeing it fix the problem you mentioned and it seems a bit odd to bust compatibility with stock Quake for a solution that wouldn't solve a particular problem.

Or am I still missing something obvious here?

I'm not arguing the "impulse system is good" because it isn't, but ... well ... I can't think of a good reason to bust up backwards QuakeC compatibility with stock Quake engines for something that doesn't seem to have a net gain.

As an example, since time immemorial, CTF or Artifact Quake or RuneQuake servers have used impulse 97/98 as +hook and -hook.

Starting QuakeC section thread seeking input ...
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

well, if the buttons were added to the option menu the players on the psp with my same problem , would be able to bind they're buttons and play with out taking 30 mins to slowly type in all the impulse binds they need to play the game (getting fed up and just turning off their psps.) to me it's more of a fix that will make certain games playable for certain people. i was making a side scroller/fighter which i needed use of all the buttons on the psp but was held back because i was forced to only have the 2 available buttons (which i had to high jack already in certain parts of my code and restore later on) which in the end, ended up killing my progress.

also, anything played on your engine would be compatible with quake even if you were to add these features? so why not add them? now any mod/game made using these features wouldn't be compatible yes, but to be honest if you do happen to look at the tc's on the indiedb site, none are just qc mods. they're tcs so none would play on vanilla quake anyways? the psp scene is far different than that of the pc. psp modders want/need expansion where they can get it.
Baker

Post by Baker »

Spike outlined the benefits of button support. http://forums.inside3d.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4659 I'm not sure if short-term I am going to add that, but longer term I might be thinking about it. Haven't thought everything through at this point.
ceriux wrote:they're tcs so none would play on vanilla quake anyways? the psp scene is far different than that of the pc.
That isn't a strength. A lot of PSP modders are suffering around in the dark because of that.

My interests aren't creating a frankenstein engine, but some sort of parity.