Mod Request - Mapper-friendly mod with darkplaces features

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
LordHavoc

Mod Request - Mapper-friendly mod with darkplaces features

Post by LordHavoc »

It would be really great if we got together as a community and devised an open source (bah Quoth, bah I say!) mapper-friendly mod to accommodate darkplaces features.

Example features I think it should have:
  • no gameplay changes
  • some aesthetic enhancements - gibbable corpses, etc.
  • breakable objects
  • physics objects if supported - fall back to MOVETYPE_NONE otherwise
  • monster spawners - maintain population, total spawn limit
  • APPEAR spawnflag - allows a monster to be triggered to make it teleport in, without a separate teleporter room
  • warpzonelib - divVerent's portals system
  • breakable light fixtures - a model entity that can be shot to destroy it and turn off the dlight
Other features could be added but must be non-gameplay-changing or optional if they are, like smarter monster navigation could be added, but needs a spawnflag, everything must be intentionally chosen or enabled by the level designer.

It would be preferable if the darkplaces features are correctly detected and fallbacks are provided - the mod working without darkplaces, as best it can.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Volunteers?
revelator

Post by revelator »

sounds good :)

ill gladly help if im able to, just take in mind i newer had any lessons in coding i learned what im able to do today by trial and error :lol:

for the physics part theres allready several free alternatives to havok like bullet, maybe a choice ?.
LordHavoc

Post by LordHavoc »

reckless wrote:for the physics part theres allready several free alternatives to havok like bullet, maybe a choice ?.
But DarkPlaces already has ODE physics if libode1.dll is present. (note: only compatible with double precision builds of ODE)

That said I keep hearing about glitches with it on Windows, it worked okay on Linux here, I probably need to take up the task of building it on each platform...

Also I do intend to add Bullet someday as an alternative.
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

I declare myself as volunteer for anything graphic: models, textures and animations.
In this coders supremacy age, artists are not so important! ;)

Always faithful to Dp, Always
revelator

Post by revelator »

i can provide windows builds of libraries/dll's needed (got my own crossbuild environment) hmm actually i think i got a windows version (mingw/msvc compatible) of bullet if you want something to start work with.

if you need anything else i have a huge database with 32/64 bit libraries for pretty much anything.
Nahuel

Re: Mod Request - Mapper-friendly mod with darkplaces featur

Post by Nahuel »

LordHavoc wrote:It would be really great if we got together as a community and devised an open source (bah Quoth, bah I say!) mapper-friendly mod to accommodate darkplaces features
:D :D great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I regret being so noob and without being able to collaborate!! :(
hi, I am nahuel, I love quake and qc.
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

Additional feature ideas:
  • Rotating brushes
    Movable triggers (buttons in elevators for example)
    Moving liquids (raising or lowering water/lava/slime level)
    APPEAR spawnflag for items
    misc_model
    misc_sound
...and all around me was the chaos of battle and the reek of running blood.... and for the first time in my life I knew true happiness.
Ranger366

Post by Ranger366 »

Something like Spirit of Half-Life, but for Quake.
Awesome :D
Baker

Post by Baker »

[eh ... this post wasn't contributing anything constructive to the thread.]
Last edited by Baker on Tue May 31, 2011 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
revelator

Post by revelator »

im not exactly promoting myself as a modder for this project, just offering what help i can (if any).

but i hope some folks with deeper DP fu will step up :)
FrikaC
Site Admin

Post by FrikaC »

scar3crow wrote:Additional feature ideas:
  • Rotating brushes
    Movable triggers (buttons in elevators for example)
    Moving liquids (raising or lowering water/lava/slime level)
    APPEAR spawnflag for items
    misc_model
    misc_sound
Reltest? or something like it?
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

Indeed, that looks very much like what I had in mind with most of my suggested additions.

I wonder how Hip/Rogue weather/environmental support would go with all of this? I'm talking the thunder storms and flashes of The Crypt, and the earthquakes of Elemental Fury I.
...and all around me was the chaos of battle and the reek of running blood.... and for the first time in my life I knew true happiness.
LordHavoc

Post by LordHavoc »

I've been informed that p0x made a mod ages ago called extras r4 which had some of this stuff (like elevators with buttons)... It would be good to take a look at its feature list as well.
qbism

Post by qbism »

LordHavoc wrote:I've been informed that p0x made a mod ages ago called extras r4 which had some of this stuff (like elevators with buttons)... It would be good to take a look at its feature list as well.
All of the above, except APPEAR flag AFAIK(which requires engine mod?) Works best on engines with physics and rotating brush fixes.
Guessing func_water works best with engine traceline that can handle "in_func_water" for special sound effects and floating.
FrikaC
Site Admin

Post by FrikaC »

I made a mod a long time ago, it began from Reltest, that had basically every mapper-centric feature I could think of - nearly everything from both mission packs, painkeep's mapping stuff and all the stuff from Custents. It was a monstrosity. I wouldn't mind doing it over as kind of a quick thing for Qexpo, but I obviously can't maintain it into the future. I can set up a public SVN for it though.

It was going to be for my single player episode...which got as far as 1 short intro map.