earthQUAKE level re-build (18 screenshots)

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
ajay

earthQUAKE level re-build (18 screenshots)

Post by ajay »

I've just completed a large update of the level, changing: road textures, lamppost prefabs and positioning and brightness of the lights themselves - although I've added more lampposts, there's less of them per "square foot" of the map. I've also added more broken lampposts and malfunctioning ones.
To the that end I've done a tour of the level and took some screens - lots of them. To avoid clogging up the "what you're working on" thread with them, I've started one a new one. Anyway, here goes:

1. View from a street corner, up to the garage, showing the new lampposts, both working and not.

2. Back alleys now lit although not completely with working lights...

3. Corner of the street, towards the pub; which now has spotlights, rather than 'fake' lighting

4. Corner near the school

5. New alleyway, between warehouse and churchyard

6. The school; may yet tinker with it's lighting as some is still 'faked'

7. School again

8. Rear of churchyard

9. Beginning of the shop

10. Car park (the wall behind is actually a raised train track)

11. View of "The Gate" from the car park

12. "The Gate" again

13. Pub from rear; the roof is actually finished, and the spotlights on the lower roof are in place.

14. Entrance of the "the cellar", garage beyond

15. Garage and houses

16. Shots from the church tower 1

17. Shots from the church tower 2

18. Shots from the church tower 3

At the moment I've just got a black box surrounding the level. The original skybox is looking a bit incongruous now and I've failed to source a better one, as high res, cities at night are hard to find.

Even for the parts of the level that look finished, there's still lots of finishing off to do; all the warehouses need some item placement, some houses need internals completed, the pub needs a little work, both the garage shop and 'Tesco' shop need completing.
On top of that... the school needs finishing and a mass of sewers need working on.

Before, during or after that, I'll be opening out the east of the map; the area behind the school. Loads to do ;)
Downsider

Post by Downsider »

Looking good. "The Gate" is a little non-impressive, though. Might want to throw some more lights on it or sprites or something.
negke

Post by negke »

Three thoughts:

You should lower the wall in 5./8. by units. It looks silly if the bricks are cut off like that.

What is the "gate" exactly? Does it serve a special purpose, some story element? Because it feels a bit out of place - deep-quake runic stuff in a realism environment. If it's supposed to be that way, e.g. the magic that has appeared and through which the monsters invade the world, then maybe make it look like it had literally popped out of the ground or something. With a few broken and pushed upward floor tiles/bricks and pieces of soil at the foot of it and scattered in the area.

Yeah, I know I've complained about this before, but imo from mid-air (last couple of shots) the map looks unrealistically dark. Basically a pitch black world with small patches of light instead of the other way around - in a city anyway. What might help here is a very low _sunlight and _sunlight2 effect, possibly with an angle corresponding to the skybox - if it has a moon, for example. Not in a way that makes everything visible for the player, just a little less black so that he can vaguely sense the shapes of his surroundings, but will still have to run from light source to light source and use his items.
At least this might be worth an experiment. Perhaps some subtle fog to mask structures that are further away.
goldenboy

Post by goldenboy »

It would probably be very hard for a new player to orient themselves in this map, since it all looks very similar.

Maybe use coloured lights? Real streetlights are often not white.

Light coming from windows? Cars (one of JPL's latest maps has some IIRC), street signs, trashbins, any kind of detail on the street? Oil tanks? Public phones? Power lines? Trees? Different colours for the houses? Fences? Stairs? Storage areas? Stuff like that? It looks so empty. Look at a couple screenshots of L4D/Crysis/HL2 maps.

If I were you I'd use textures from cgtextures.com instead of QRP in this case.

I don't know exactly what the gameplay will be, but even in a thief-like game or something it should look more busy and varied.
negke

Post by negke »

I would recommend against colored lights, at least for the street lamps. It would make them even darker; not to mention more complicated to get it right (subtlety AND brightness). I think zombie-infested British towns do have white lamps. Only larger cities have those yellow ones. But those don't require a vigilante with a shotgun and molotovs to fight the invasion.
Spike

Post by Spike »

those streetlights fade out too fast.
you should not have totally black areas between the lights.
normal streetlights tend to have reflectors that aim the light in an almost square around their base, slightly overlapping with the neighbouring light.
lights which don't have nearby lights are generally higher up, brighter, and spread their light over a wider area, which is still brighter than moonlight a couple of houses away.
its atmospheric, sure, but its just too dark to be believable.
the garage highlights the unrealism quite nicely. super bright lights that turn the roof bright white, but its not bright enough to even reach the ground.
also, gameplay will likely become a game of spot-the-monster-without-seeing-only-its-lightning-muzzleflash-just-before-it-wtfpwns-you.
ajay

Post by ajay »

I'll start by saying that, as with every map ever made, the lighting is still work in progress, as is most everything in the map - in spite of it's size it's early, early days.
Having said that I'll explain my choices aesthetically:
- the map is going to be dark, I'm just not going to raise the min light level much more than it is; more on that to follow
- it is interesting that a couple of replies mentioned realism, I made an early design choice that, due to my skill levels, Quake restrictions and creative freedom, I wasn't going all out to make it "real" - it would have been an aspiration I would always be falling short of reaching. Therefore my goal was to make a familiar earth-based world, while allowing me creative freedom and licence to make it consistent with a feel and story rather than with 'real-life'
- an example would be street lights; it's been said that in the real world they overlap or that they cover a wider area, true but two points: 1) I could, if so motivated, take photos of streets in my town where the reality is similar to my map, indeed turn off house lights (more on that too) and at night there would be 50-75 metre gaps between 'pools of light'. 2) If I made a consistent swathe of light through the streets it may 'look' more real, but would hold little sense of dread or tension in-game, and 'darkness' is integral to the game. Additionally what might make you nervous in real life, e.g. walking down a deserted street at night (but a brighter one than my map) wouldn't translate as being that nervy in a game
- the context for the game, for why there are street lights on but no house lights, is, at least partly, explained in the background story I wrote for the mod (http://www.ajaysquakesite.co.uk/earthQU ... nloads.htm)
- and I'll say again, when actually exploring the map in-game it doesn't feel as dark as screens/videos make it look, and "spot-the-monster-without-seeing-only-its-lightning-muzzleflash-just-before-it-wtfpwns-you" is far from the truth
- as for a new player orientating themselves as it looks similar: well there's a bit of that in all levels, but I think it is both untrue and broadly irrelevant for this mod
- "Look at a couple screenshots of L4D/Crysis/HL2 maps" I mean, really? I think, even with modern Quake engines, aspiring to the level of detail in more modern games, especially Crysis, would be foolhardy. I'm working from a framework perspective, getting the 'world' built and then filling it with detail to the extent it can take.
- the garage lights aren't actually that bright - the white texture is more at fault, to be honest if I raised the lights' brightness and "dulled" the texture, it would look better
- "I don't know exactly what the gameplay will be, but even in a thief-like game or something it should look more busy and varied." Busy I agree with, to some extent, and as I've said, that will happen over time, but more varied? More than houses, a pub, warehouses, a petrol station (garage), a raised railway line, a church, a shop, a school - plus 33% of the [horizontal] area of the map is still to do
- The Gate should most definitely look out of place; it is. When I first built that part of the level I included rubble, broken streetlights etc, but have taken them out while I fine tune a pathway that the enemies take when they emerge from the gate. What isn't shown in screens is that it, although 'mostly' inactive, has a slowly pulsing light effect. I wanted it to be disquieting, and (if you know what has happened before, what it's purpose is) scary. But it being partly dormant is important too; so that when the'firing' is triggered and the sound effects and lightning happen, followed by the subsequent emergence of the monsters, it is all the more effective. It hasn't come out of the ground, however, it's arrival isn't entirely visualised, but it's a combination of being lowered into the world and appearing in a similar way to the terminator's arrival in the first movie. Looking at the warehouse it's part destroyed and the shape of the gate has carved itself, downwards, through the building.
goldenboy

Post by goldenboy »

I mean, really? I think, even with modern Quake engines, aspiring to the level of detail in more modern games, especially Crysis, would be foolhardy.
Well, I've given honest feedback, and I can't say much more than that.

However, this quoted one I have to debate. It's not foolhardy at all, and I know what I'm talking about.
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

While the comments are based in fair reasoning, we must remember that ajay's map is tied to a background story as he already mentioned a couple times. I suggest you guys to first read the story, and try to visualize the place where the events happened, and you'll see from where he came. :)
Last edited by frag.machine on Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

I think the white lamps on lighting is fine, just lacking in some subtle corona effect (in Darkplaces you could just make a rtlights file that only defines coronas)

If you're using HLBSP where's the ambient radiosity coming from in the lamps? You might need that, and i mean really low levels (like 16).

Just because an engine has features and limits doesn't mean you have to go out of your way to exploit them so obviously. The Quake2 way of thinking sucks.
i should not be here
mh

Post by mh »

goldenboy wrote:
I mean, really? I think, even with modern Quake engines, aspiring to the level of detail in more modern games, especially Crysis, would be foolhardy.
Well, I've given honest feedback, and I can't say much more than that.

However, this quoted one I have to debate. It's not foolhardy at all, and I know what I'm talking about.
I'll second that one, and have the source code and executable to prove it. Most of what people take for granted about what Quake can and cannot do is actually down to the original renderer code being horrifically inefficient. You're barely getting 10% to 20% of what your GPU is capable of out of that kind of code, and this is especially true of modern GPUs. Quake is actually capable of handling stupidly high polycounts at stupidly high framerates, wide open areas are not a problem, heavily detailed scenes are not a problem, heavy use of dynamic lighting is not a problem, horde combat is not a problem. The only real bottleneck is actually in the VM.
We had the power, we had the space, we had a sense of time and place
We knew the words, we knew the score, we knew what we were fighting for
Nahuel

Post by Nahuel »

I wait for this mod, I believe that it goes to be awesome.
hi, I am nahuel, I love quake and qc.
ajay

Post by ajay »

I must admit I can be a little over-sensitive pus I've been on nights this week, which doesn't help :)
I would say one thing though, even if I wasn't ever so slightly over sensitive (especially about something I've spent soooo many hours on) a little balance to critique never goes a miss. The old "shit-sandwich" as it's known (say something nice, something not, something nice) or just suggest something rather than "this is wrong", use "what about trying" etc.
Anyway my sleep-deprived insecurity apart, some comments:
I do intend to up detail in the map and I take on board that Quake can handle more than people often give it credit for, however I am going to balance overall size (I want a big playing area) with the amount of content per square foot. Plus all that detail needs to be created, and there's only one of me. I have a few prefabs already done; bus stops, traffic lights etc, that will be introduced, and some destroyed buildings and rubble etc.
On top of what has already been shown in the map, (there's bits I haven't shown yet) there's sewer areas, inside of all those houses etc.
As an aside cars are proving a problem for me, on one I don't really want to add some plot device to explain away their absence, but likewise I have yet to find some appropriate models to use.
Finally, thanks everyone for their honest feedback, I do appreciate it, but I'll always give honest responses back if I don't agree ;)
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

I highly recommend you check out q1rad. It's bouncing light could do wonders for this. If only its lightsources were not forced to be fullbright.
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
goldenboy

Post by goldenboy »

ajay, I understand that. I am also pretty feedback sensitive. I guess it always comes across as more blunt on the internet, sorry. I was probably too tired for a feedback sandwich this time - it happens.

Car models - JPL's Fort Driant has some, negke's sm162 has a half-car in a garage, Malice has a forklift model... Nehahra has a Hummer... Quake Rally has cars. It's gonna be difficult, but especially since it's dark (so the models don't have to match up perfectly), it might be doable.

There are a lot of forgotten map-models out there in idgames and similar archives. Pretty sure Zer has a tree model, some maps have plant models, Hexen 2 also has trees... I think some things might be possible if you search the "backlog" for useful stuff and ask people if you can use their models etc.