QTest Progs.dat source?

Discuss programming in the QuakeC language.
ooppee

QTest Progs.dat source?

Post by ooppee »

Know it's old. However I'd like to see the code of everything for a modern mod. Has anyone decompiled this? I would imagine it has once as a user created maps with monsters for QTest shortly after it's release. Would anyone have this or could do it? "Modern" decompilers dont work on it.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

it's undecompilable. Spike did parsing of it in fteqw at one point though

besides, all the strange monsters are broken and crash on sight, and some of them only just follow you harmlessly (like vomitus). There's not even a working item_deathball or superlightning.
Last edited by leileilol on Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
i should not be here
silverjoel

Post by silverjoel »

leileilol

Post by leileilol »

^^^^^ WOW THAT MOD IS COOL GETTING ^^^^^

you have to turn to page 3 for the latest, though.

Qtest isn't the only thing further back. What's also interesting is what was Quake around November 1995. Rockets puffed smoke sprites, theoretically, and ogres are horny.

John Romero said he had a pre-alpha from that point somewhere...
i should not be here
ooppee

Post by ooppee »

Tried it and sadly it's nothing like QTest.
Supernailgun acts completely different, along with the Grenade Launcher (as 2 examples of the various). Run the mod, then run QTest and you'd see what I mean :(
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

they're supposed to 'spread'. Are you playing 3.0?

The Wizard attack could've been done better, like actually using the sprite and having a delay... instead of putting a sphere model with the sprite texture stuck on that sphere.
i should not be here
TimeServ

Post by TimeServ »

I took some effort in mapping out QTest file differences only to not bother follow through on anything (well there is QTest MDL support in FTE but that was trivial). QTest and Quake release progs are different but they might be close enough to where a disassembler could be hacked up from an existing disassembler. There's a few big differences like that QTest progs don't define a locals location in the functions struct, an extra 4 bytes per instruction (that might correspond to a line number?), and there doesn't seem to be a save global flag. Another big problem is I didn't get far enough to check if opcode definitions are the same. It's unlikely that they changed but if they are that means a lot more work would need to be done to find out differences.
Ranger366

Post by Ranger366 »

TimeServ wrote:(well there is QTest MDL support in FTE but that was trivial).
Isn't the MDL format from QTest exactly like the one from the retail? I mean there are no troubles using qME and so on them, looks like they are all the same.
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

Not 100% compatible. QuArK will complain about it. But of course, you can always open it on QME, save as regular Quake .mdl and then open it on QuArK.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
ooppee

Post by ooppee »

leileilol wrote:besides, all the strange monsters are broken and crash on sight, and some of them only just follow you harmlessly (like vomitus). There's not even a working item_deathball or superlightning.
Not true, might want to download the Phil2.bsp for QTest. The Shambler, Knights, Scrag, Grunt, Ogre are all fully functional. AI isn't the greatest but they do work. The Dragon works too but can't really do much as it's the size of the room. The Vomitus is harmless, the Scrag works almost 100% just sometimes it's projectile gets stuck mid-air but if touched it explodes.
I'm mainly only wanting the damage values, rate of fire, and spread (shotgun, grenade - as it will fire slightly to the left/right also).
Can look up the name of the code in a hex editor but after the name it just goes all messed - so finding those values doesn't work.

QTest with the map:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZYX52DXH
leileilol wrote:they're supposed to 'spread'. Are you playing 3.0?
Yes, but not that much. The spread is insane when compared to the original. Play both and you'd see.
Last edited by ooppee on Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
TimeServ

Post by TimeServ »

Ranger366 wrote:Isn't the MDL format from QTest exactly like the one from the retail?
No. The header is missing 2 entries (model flags, size) and the frames don't store the 16-byte frame names.
ooppee wrote:I'm mainly only wanting the damage values, rate of fire, and spread
I'll note a few differences I found from Quake 1 to QTest:
- SSG has 0.07 right/0.05 up spread
- NG always fires from center
- SNG fires 2 nails per round with 0.05 right/0.05 up spread
- GL grenades are spawned with v_forward*600+v_right*(50*crandom())+v_up*(200+40*crandom()) velocity
- RL has 0.6 attack_finished, does 10 damage direct and 80 damage radius which does not ignore touched object
- Radius damage reduction is calculated as vlen(inflictor.origin - head.origin)*0.5 and there's no extra reduction for radius damage done to yourself (explains why grenades hurt yourself so much)

That's all I feel like looking up for now but those things should be pretty accurate.
ooppee

Post by ooppee »

Thanks those cover most of what I was wanting (single shotty is all that's left - however the change appears to be minor so self adjusting will find it.).
Monster damage is easy to figure out - get hit by them with no armor.
TimeServ

Post by TimeServ »

SG has same spread/shot count as QTest/Q1. Anything I didn't list with weapons seemed to be the same as Q1 (nail/rocket projectile speed, grenade damage, etc)
ooppee

Post by ooppee »

Thanks for the info :)
Any chance you can tell me where you got your info on all of this? Would like to take a look at all the details I can (esp if it has the enemy info too)
TimeServ

Post by TimeServ »

I converted the v3 progs into v6 and decompiled it.