THE HORROR

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
UrbanKid

Post by UrbanKid »

i am trying to say can this work for glquake? cause i really want to play it
lth

Post by lth »

This is a darkplaces-only mod. If you can run GLQuake, you should be able to run Darkplaces.

There is no way that I am going to (or in fact, can) port it to pure GLQuake, since it makes use of tons of Darkplaces extensions in QC.
UrbanKid

hmm....

Post by UrbanKid »

...i found a way to play it on dquake psp it has somethings from darkplaces i know but doesn't support over the glquake limit
so i replace the models with null.mdl but i keep getting this error player.mdl precached something like that
Downsider

Post by Downsider »

lth wrote:This is a darkplaces-only mod. If you can run GLQuake, you should be able to run Darkplaces.

There is no way that I am going to (or in fact, can) port it to pure GLQuake, since it makes use of tons of Darkplaces extensions in QC.
Which extensions? I've been adding some to my engine, would be nice to get some compatibility with this.
Team Xlink

Post by Team Xlink »

Wrong quote. I'm am sorry for the misunderstanding.
Last edited by Team Xlink on Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Downsider

Post by Downsider »

Team Xlink wrote:
Downsider wrote:
lth wrote:This is a darkplaces-only mod. If you can run GLQuake, you should be able to run Darkplaces.

Which extensions? I've been adding some to my engine, would be nice to get some compatibility with this.
He has refused to release the source.

It is on the kurok forums.

Here is the feature list he gave out:

model : mdl, md2, md3;
sprites : spr, spr32(dp);
brush : qbsp, hlbsp.
images : jpg, tga, png, pcx, -bmp(Will be); with (swizzle&resample) support;
QMB,Q3 particles; (test)
decals(not work/will be)
detail/bumpmaps (from gfx/detail/(texturename)) ;
Full Bright Color for textures;
and
skybox (from kurok / i fixed code (preflip)) and support images for skybox;
color lightmaps (from kurok / and for hlbsp);
fog(from kurok | i fixed);
That has nothing to do with what I'm talking about -_-
Team Xlink

Post by Team Xlink »

Sorry, I just realized you weren't quoting UrbanKid, I am sorry.

EDIT: Didn't want to double Post.

I too was wondering which extensions because this mod is very nice and compatibility would be awesome.
Spike

Post by Spike »

lets see...

prydon cursor
frik_file
viewmodelforclient

at least.
Downsider

Post by Downsider »

Spike wrote:lets see...

prydon cursor
frik_file
viewmodelforclient

at least.
Prydon cursor; isn't that in GLQuake, though? At least when I played Prydon Gate, I used vanilla GLQuake :O!
lth

Post by lth »

From a cursory scan through dpextensions.qc, I believe that The Horror uses the following extensions:

DP_ENT_ALPHA, DP_EF_NODEPTHTEST, DP_EF_ADDITIVE, DP_SND_STEREOWAV, DP_ENT_LOWPRECISION, DP_EF_RED, DP_EF_BLUE, DP_SV_MODELFLAGS_AS_EFFECTS, DP_EF_FLAME, DP_TE_FLAMEJET, DP_EF_FULLBRIGHT, DP_ENT_COLORMOD, DP_ENT_GLOW, DP_ENT_SCALE, DP_ENT_VIEWMODEL, DP_GFX_EXTERNALTEXTURES, DP_MOVETYPEFOLLOW, DP_QC_FINDCHAIN, DP_MOVETYPEBOUNCEMISSILE, DP_QC_MINMAXBOUND, DP_QC_MULTIPLETEMPSTRINGS, DP_QC_RANDOMVEC,
DP_QC_STRING_CASE_FUNCTIONS, DP_QC_TRACEBOX, DP_QC_UNLIMITEDTEMPSTRINGS, DP_QC_VECTORVECTORS, DP_SV_DRAWONLYTOCLIENT, DP_TE_BLOOD, DP_TE_BLOODSHOWER, DP_TE_CUSTOMFLASH, DP_TE_EXPLOSIONRGB, DP_TE_PARTICLECUBE, DP_TE_PLASMABURN, DP_TE_STANDARDEFFECTBUILTINS, FRIK_FILE, PRYDON_CLIENTCURSOR, FTE_STRINGS
Downsider

Post by Downsider »

*Yawn*

On second thought, I've got better things to do than sift through and copy up all those :roll:
lth

Post by lth »

I thought you might change your mind :)
Baker

Post by Baker »

Downsider wrote:He has refused to release the source.

QMB,Q3 particles; (test)
decals(not work/will be)
and
It's great that some of these PSP engine modders don't release their sources. Because at that rate, there will never be a PSP engine worth a crap.

Open source is a productivity and peer review magnifier that speeds development, double checks errors.

Congrats to living in the stone age to that guy. Closed source ensures stone age refinement, stone age features and engines chalked full of bugs and major issues outside a coder's field of expertise.

I guarantee his engine will never hit "version 1" when he will supposed release his source because alone he does not have the talent or expertise to get there.

Closed source! It's by crappily coded, for people who like crap!
Team Xlink

Post by Team Xlink »

Baker wrote:
Downsider wrote:He has refused to release the source.

QMB,Q3 particles; (test)
decals(not work/will be)
and
It's great that some of these PSP engine modders don't release their sources. Because at that rate, there will never be a PSP engine worth a crap.

Open source is a productivity and peer review magnifier that speeds development, double checks errors.

Congrats to living in the stone age to that guy. Closed source ensures stone age refinement, stone age features and engines chalked full of bugs and major issues outside a coder's field of expertise.

I guarantee his engine will never hit "version 1" when he will supposed release his source because alone he does not have the talent or expertise to get there.

Closed source! It's by crappily coded, for people who like crap!
He hates releasing the source code.

He once was an Engine coder on Flaming Ice, he got kicked off because he wouldn't give them the source code.
Baker

Post by Baker »

Team Xlink wrote:He hates releasing the source code.
Sucks to be him. His engine won't go anywhere or ever get debugged and he'll have to write everything himself.

I've never seen a closed-source Quake engine worth a shit, frankly. There was XQuake, Hyperdrive and probably many others. Ever heard of them? Of course not. They get forgotten really quickly and are typically clunkers.

In fact, good single author Quake engines don't exist and the ones that appear to be from a single author, aren't actually single author engines but rather gained insight from other engines, feedback, discussion, tutorials or test implementations of ideas.

Which is to say peer-review and discussion = quality. Open source and collaboration = speed and power.

Which is why open source projects like Nexuiz build towering empires and closed source projects build tombstones.

Not really important, but a license violating author means the guy doesn't have enough social skills or common sense to be successful. And projects like that have to skulk around and live in the "ghettos" and the unbelly of the internet. Sounds like a winning formula to me!

Evolution: it weeds out bad practices.