Rock2ober 2009: Annual Attempt at BIGGEST rock2 game EVER!

Talk about the Quake Expo and Quake Speed events.
OneManClan

Rock2ober 2009: Annual Attempt at BIGGEST rock2 game EVER!

Post by OneManClan »

Dear fans of quakeworld,

If you are still into playing quakeworld TF, I'd like to invite you to Rock2ober 2009, a gathering of ALL the remaining quakeworld Custom Team Fortress fans in the world in one place, at one time, to create the most massive game of rock2 EVER, using a 'Clan Match Simulator' mod, called AGR.

It's this Saturday 24th October, at 23:45 GMT, at tastyspleen.net:26666.

If you're only into coding, then you can spectate the game to admire two of MauveBib's incredible contributions to AGR in action - the amazing Smokescreen Grenade, and the VERY popular HolyChapeffect.

Note: Spectators are welcome, but if you want to play you need to email me, so I can send you the password.

See you there!!

OneManClan
ps. Check out the video!!
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

I just have to state how badass this sounds, and how cool it is of you guys to put together such a thing.

rock2 holds many of my favorite moments from Quake and TF. I don't know if I will be able to make it, as it happens right in the middle of the day when I take care of all the week's errands (funny how marriage and full time job change the meaning of weekends).

However I will make a news post about this!

(There better be some MVDs of the action, or at least something on youtube).
...and all around me was the chaos of battle and the reek of running blood.... and for the first time in my life I knew true happiness.
OneManClan

Post by OneManClan »

scar3crow wrote:I just have to state how badass this sounds, and how cool it is of you guys to put together such a thing.
Thank you!
scar3crow wrote:rock2 holds many of my favorite moments from Quake and TF.
Me too. I've been trying to contact the author Jim Kaufman (Sgt Thundercok), to let him know, but all the emails on the net seem dead. Does anyone know his whereabouts?
scar3crow wrote:I don't know if I will be able to make it, as it happens right in the middle of the day when I take care of all the week's errands (funny how marriage and full time job change the meaning of weekends).
Middle of the day? You must be in California (where 23:45 GMT = 4:45 PM). If you miss out, at least you can take some solace that the timeslot was decided by vote from players around the world.
scar3crow wrote:However I will make a news post about this!
That would be great, thanks! There are 6 places left.
scar3crow wrote:(There better be some MVDs of the action, or at least something on youtube).
Unfortunately CustomTF runs on an old qw server called "cpqwsv", which contains some functions which still need to be imported into MVDSV. One person "Arpaphage" is in the process of doing this, but the original programmers have moved on, and needs help decyphering some functions with 'less than desirable' commenting. Can anyone reading this help? There are 2 days left.

Meanwhile, players are being asked to make demos, so we can put together some kind of movie of what sadly just might be worlds last 32 player qw game.

EDIT: Ugh, that was a depressing tone to end on. Sorry, Um, make that "Meanwhile, players are being asked to make demos, so we can put together some kind of movie of what could be the most amazingly MASSIVE rock2 game of all time!!!"

That's better. :)

OneManClan
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

I've not heard any whereabouts of him, though I didn't know his real name...

Yup, west coast, and I am glad the time is a consensus for global players, Quake is not unique to America, for sure.

Perhaps you could require that of each player, to record in a standard format of some sort? It was a common practice for clan matches back in the day, and sometimes people would edit together segments from the best stuff going on...

Yes that was very depressing, stop that! Step it up, next year, do it on a 64 player server!
...and all around me was the chaos of battle and the reek of running blood.... and for the first time in my life I knew true happiness.
OneManClan

Post by OneManClan »

UPDATE:

We did it!!! :D

Rock2ober 2009 successfully maxed out a 32 player quakeworld server! It was the biggest AGR game ever, beating the Weekly AGR Session's previous record of 24, and the biggest quakeworld game in years!

Here's a review.

OneManClan
Ston3r

Post by Ston3r »

Sounds boring with lame ass engineers building tesla's in the respawn, forcing players to spam MIRV grenades. But what do I know, eh?

If you guys did a Custom-TF Hardcore Mode match, I'd be in for that.