New Conquest version released, hundreds suspected dead

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
Wazat

New Conquest version released, hundreds suspected dead

Post by Wazat »

It's that time again, and a lot has changed. You can download the new version of Conquest here.
Note: If you downloaded it on or before June 16th, get the patch here, which fixes the changing level bug that some people experienced.

Please download the latest version of Darkplaces to run Conquest in. I don't vouch for any other versions, or for any other engines for that matter. ;)
(though I am trying to maintain compatibility)

New weapons
Strong Machinegun
High-Capacity MG
Rapid Machinegun
Heavy Machinegun
Blaster
Scattergun

New Shields
Limit Armor (unique from Limit Shields)
Blink Shield Plus
Revenge Shield

New Enemies
Security Drones
Avenger Drones
Defense Mech

Other Highlights
Health bars and damage displays
Fixed the opening & closing doors bug
Weapon Menu (hold shift to pause the game and view a list of weapons, and select one at your leisure)
Shops in town now cost less than the shops on the field
Various monster, weapon & shield tweaks
Various bug fixes
Updated the readme
Conquest should now be Linux-compatible (maybe even compatible with macs, if OSX can run DP. That would be cool.)

I'm really interested in everyone's feedback, so please let me know what you think!
Last edited by Wazat on Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
When my computer inevitably explodes and kills me, my cat inherits everything I own. He may be the only one capable of continuing my work.
Wazat

Post by Wazat »

By the way, I recommend you start with episode 1, since the others start you off against Security Drones, which are very dangerous. :O
When my computer inevitably explodes and kills me, my cat inherits everything I own. He may be the only one capable of continuing my work.
SkinnedAlive

Post by SkinnedAlive »

Wonderful, the difficulties I had last time with damage feedback are fixed. It's quite a breath of fresh air playing through the single player levels in a different way like this. Reminds be of playing through Q2 with SPAQ (single player action quake) only with less crashes and less quickloading. The only issue I had was that I had to read the readme to remind me of what the sheilds did every time, perhaps there should be a descriptions function in the menu? Perhaps descriptions could even be put on weapons as well.
Last edited by SkinnedAlive on Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wazat

Post by Wazat »

SkinnedAlive:

You're quite right, the shop needs to tell you the function and stats of weapons and shields so you know what you're buying. I'm trying to think of a real elegant way to do this, especially since I'm going to sooner or later make the menu graphics-based instead of the classic qc text menu, and I don't want to have to make a separate targa filled with text for each description. :(

I need a way to print dynamic text (so I can print prices, weapon power, shield blocking ability, etc) in mid air, preferably attached to an entity. FrikaC and I discussed this recently, and it'd be really nice to have a Darkplaces feature for this.

Thanks for the feedback.

This part is to everyone:

One person running Conquest on Linux has reported a consistant problem with weapons & other stuff disappearing on map changes (except the town map). I haven't been able to reproduce this error at all, so it's really hard to debug. Whatever your operating system, please let me know if you encounter this bug!
SkinnedAlive

Post by SkinnedAlive »

I'd help you with the linux problem if I could but unfortunately I can't get quake to run on linux at all. Darkplaces works fine but it wont load the pak file.

Anyway I found an odd bug when playing today, the elephant rifle only fires horizontally when wading in water (the zombie pit in E1M2).
Wazat

Post by Wazat »

SkinnedAlive: Elephant Rifle? What's its name in the shop?

The Na'mek had this problem too a while back. It's easy to fix, so it'll make it into the next version.
Spike

Post by Spike »

SkinnedAlive: urm... try a lower case pak file?
SkinnedAlive

Post by SkinnedAlive »

Wazat: The e-rifle.

Spike: I tried that. I also made sure permissions were correct and such. I googled up a guide on running quake on linux that said I needed files from the quake CD but my quake CD has been scratched to death, all I have is a zip of the HD install as backup.
Wazat

Post by Wazat »

Oh, the energy rifle. Okay, I'll try getting that fixed for the next version.

BTW, the linux bug is fixed now thanks to LordHavoc, so no worries there.
SkinnedAlive

Post by SkinnedAlive »

Heh, energy rifle, of course...

I don't know if this is a problem with Darkplaces or not but I seem to be falling through lifts quite a lot. Also it seems rather odd that the shields can prevent drowning damage.
Wazat

Post by Wazat »

Heh, yes, I need to make drowning damage unblockable.

I've noticed the "falling through platforms" bug myself, and I'm told LordHavoc's aware of it but doesn't know what to do about it. You'll also notice it in Nexuiz from time to time.