Introduction Thread

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
goldenboy

Post by goldenboy »

Interesting. Thanks for the little history lesson, Irritant.

Thick skin seems to be a requirement :-/

gb
MauveBib

Post by MauveBib »

I'm Barny, I'm 25 and looking for a girl with GSOH and MT*. I like walks in the countryside, looking at lakes and buying shoes for girls.

Oh wait, this isn't a dating service?

I'm Barny, 25, QC coder, modeller, skinner (in name and ability) etc. I'm not an RTS nut, despite my back catalogue of RTS mods.

My brother Harb and I founded the Electronic Liberation Front in 1998ish, along with several other Quakers who have fallen by the wayside as the years have gone by. Now the ELF is pretty much a fancy name for me.

My current Quakey projects include getting DiD2 bloody finished, Sagdoll and a series of beginner QC tutoials.

* Massive Tits
Apathy Now!
negke

Post by negke »

I'm a mapper and thus hate modders. Only registered here to rig polls and infringe the GPL.

Edit: :wink:
Last edited by negke on Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CocoT

Post by CocoT »

/me points to Negke

Oh no! A mapper managed to get in! Stone him!
Neurotic Conversions - New location: Update your bookmarks!
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

CocoT wrote:/me points to Negke

Oh no! A mapper managed to get in! Stone him!

No wait! I can reprogram him!

/me walks over to negke, lifts his shirt up and flips the switch on his back from "evile" to good.

:P
xaGe

Post by xaGe »

..Thats right I remember, "Destroy All Monsters"! I loved that mod and wondered why there where not more versions. Well I believe its the same quake2 mod anyway. It had @ least a Quake2 life sized Godzilla running around a city map. Seems like so long ago the rest eludes me @ the moment.

..Also I'm glad to know there a few people here older than ME Irritant & *cough cough* Ajay... ;)
ajay

Post by ajay »

I'm 44 on Janury 8th - I am offically the oldest. I will wear that badge with pride.
At least I'm not ginger, oh wait ..... damn.
Orion

Post by Orion »

Hi! I'm Orion, only 16 years old (kinda unbelievable because I have a certain knowledge on QC); officially the youngest I think. Still under-aged here in Brazil, but over-aged on some USA states :P
Also, as I'm tall for my age (185cm; 6'1"; 52 Quake Units*).
But don't worry about my age, because when people personally see me they think I'm 18 or older.
I have lots of mods I made here, my Quake directory had over 1gb a time ago, but now I've cleaned it up of useless stuff - it has now about 435mb.
But the majority of the mods I made I didn't release because I make'em for myself, just for fun and to improve my QC skills.

As I'm young, I'm still studying, but now I'm on vacation! :D

Well, that's it.

*As the Quake guy is 199cm tall, and his bound box's height is 56 units, a Quake unit is about 3,5535 centimeters.
Urre

Post by Urre »

Orion: note that the model is lower than the bounding box, so if you go for the height of the visible model, he's more like 180
I was once a Quake modder
Urre

Post by Urre »

I figure I should introduce myself as well...

My name's Marko "Urre" Permanto, live in Sweden, 23 years of age. I work, eat, sleep, and occasionally steal an hour to code on various projects, of which I have too many as usual. At the time of writing, I'm on paternal leave with my daughter, 1.5 years old, and generally having a blast. The only tedious thing is the constant cleaning you have to do, she has incredible filth-powers beyond my imagination!

Professionally, I'm not yet a game developer, but an aspiring one. My current platform of choice is Quake, mainly the DarkPlaces engine. It suits my needs very well for the most part, even though I sometimes wonder what the hell I'm doing coding something the engine clearly wasn't made for (like an RTS, or a physics engine in the gamecode). I guess that's my Quake-engine fan legacy, wanting to prove that it's not just another engine, but rather something very well thought out, atleast for its time. You can't beat an engine which was designed for speed + moddability. You usually get either or.

In the past I've messed with all kinds of modding, like StarCraft, WarCraft 3, Unreal and Unreal Tournament, Quake1-3, Doom 3. I've done mapping for all the above, plus Half-Life 1-2, probably more. Done some minor modeling and skinning, just to know what it's all about. Released very little, as I've mostly been messing around and learning stuff, occasionally showing off stuff for my friends, who used to be amazed and wanted me to show how I did things, but they seem to take it for granted nowadays, that I develop little things here and there. The last thing that impressed, was when I showed off the physics engine I've been working on.

Speaking of which, I'm currently working on 3 major projects, and contributing to one. Well, this is how it's in theory, in truth I have time for maybe one major project, if I'm to keep a steady stream of development, so I'm planning to put certain ones on hold :). I'm also working on getting a proper website running, it'll probably be up when I get my next paycheck, so I can buy a domain and all...

The one I can talk about a little, is my QC physics engine. It has a name, some might have heard it, but I'll make a proper announcement soon/later. The plan is to have a big bug squashed, the codebase cleaned up, and adding a feature or two before releasing the first version. If you've followed the Stick-Physics thread, you can see that progress is being made again!

That should be all for now. Catch me either here or in #darkplaces on irc.anynet.org.
I was once a Quake modder
Irritant

Post by Irritant »

The stick physics project is very impressive Urre.
http://red.planetarena.org - Alien Arena and the CRX engine
xtremetrooper

Post by xtremetrooper »

I'm interested in learning Quake modding.
Last edited by xtremetrooper on Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jokerzwild420

Post by Jokerzwild420 »

hello everyone names eddie but my ign's are either Dankah or Jokerzwild420..im not really new 2 modding ive been watching for a couple good years now and have recently been actually trying 2 understand and build me up sum skill ^^ lol...im not a complete and total newb tho..ceriux is my bigger brother and i have been watching him for sum years now and he has been helping me so i do know a few lil things..i have seen a lot of work u guys have done here and id love 2 eventually become as good as u all (with good time and practise of course)..so far i have been practising mapping and modeling :) 2 fav things...im very interested in learning 2 animate tho ! im also gona give coding a try and see how that turns it...well nice 2 meet all yall ! laterz
SamUK

Post by SamUK »

Hey , taking after your bro :wink:.

Welcome.
Working on Solitude
Error
InsideQC Staff

Post by Error »

I'm pretty sure I was 12 when I started modding.