QC Tutorials for absolute beginners

Discuss programming in the QuakeC language.
MauveBib

Post by MauveBib »

Baker: Personally I use the command line version, and I think it's easier for beginners too, simply double click and it's compiled.

It's debatable though, if enough people think otherwise I can certainly update the tutorials. The same goes for any tools, source codes etc I mention; please call me on anything you think could be replaced with a better option.
Apathy Now!
Urre

Post by Urre »

I must agree on the commandline version being easier for beginners, no confusing buttons and stuff. Also, great work!
I was once a Quake modder
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

i use friks compiler the GUI version ... but honestly if you cant figure out a tool as easy as that maybe you should practice that before you come close to learning qc?
MauveBib

Post by MauveBib »

Precisely. I think all QC compilers are pretty damn easy to use, so I don't actually think it matters all that much which a beginner starts with.

I really should get around to finishing the third part of this tutorial.
Apathy Now!
MeTcHsteekle

Post by MeTcHsteekle »

..oh with frikGUI i found if i compiled twice it would mess up

i think it was 2.7?

but now i'm using QCide, has some frika-base
bah
xaGe

Post by xaGe »

..I would be inclined to agree with Baker that the gui version might be better when it comes to beginners...

..In the past I have used both the gui version of FRIKQCC and command line version. I prefer the command line version called from an IDE such as UltraEdit, UEStudio, etc.. You can setup those (I'm sure others as well) to capture the command line window output to be displayed with in the IDE. Clicking on any warning or error will open up the qc project file in the IDE right to the line number and problem that was shown.

Baker wrote:In the tutorial, it mentions FTEQCC. Would the gui version be better for beginners?

Or for that matter, I'm just wondering if anyone who has used both prefers the command line?

What I like about the gui version is that I can double click on errors and the file opens to the line in question.
MauveBib

Post by MauveBib »

I've had issues with the GUI version of FRIKQCC in the past, so haven't used it in a long time.

I don't think the compiler the beginner uses matters much - if they can't figure out how to use any of them then they'll struggle with QC no matter what.

Feel free to write a tutorial for beginners on using an IDE/GUI QCC combination.
Apathy Now!
xaGe

Post by xaGe »

..BTW I just wanted to say GREAT tutorials in the 2 you put up so far MauveBib... :D ..I do agree you if they can't figure out that much then they maybe in for a rough road...

..A tutorial explaining the IDE/command line version setup would be good for the two similar commercial products I described in my previous post. One explaining that setup using freeware software would be a great idea...
MeTcHsteekle

Post by MeTcHsteekle »

MauveBib wrote:I've had issues with the GUI version of FRIKQCC in the past, so haven't used it in a long time..
it happens when you compile with it twice, it messes up the progs.dat me thinks, makes it have weird effects [not able to jump, etc.]
bah
redrum

Post by redrum »

I needed tutorials like these about a year ago.
Would have made learning QC a lot easier.
Nice to see an effort to bring in some new coders!
Two thumbs up! :D
Welcome to the Overlook Hotel: The-Overlook-Hotel.game-server.cc
DireBetaFiend

Post by DireBetaFiend »

ok thanks mauvedib im ready for part 3 how does i maek it an extra weapon rather than a replacement? tanx!

PS - thanks for making fun of me bc i am in a wheelchair

PSS - a neighbor's pitbull attacked my little sister and basically tore her face off. Thanks for making me cry just thinking about it
MauveBib

Post by MauveBib »

Part three will be coming along just as soon as I can motivate myself.

Glad I made you cry, that's my objective in life.
Apathy Now!
-z-

Post by -z- »

Cool, I found these very helpful in helping me wrap my head around the syntax. Good work!
Nexuiz Ninjaz - Practicing the ninja arts of Nexuiz | Happy 1 Year Ninjaz! - Mapping Contest to celebrate!
MeTcHsteekle

Post by MeTcHsteekle »

ok thanks mauvedib im ready for part 3 how does i maek it an extra weapon rather than a replacement? tanx!
hehe, i need to add bacteria syringe(no ammo) and neutron bombs(cells and/or rockets). i can try DR.Shadowborgs tutorial, but the last time had some screwy effects on the HUD :S
bah
MauveBib

Post by MauveBib »

Part 3 is finally up. It doesn't cover what I said it'd cover, but it does cover interesting stuff.

http://elf.planetquake.gamespy.com/tutorials/tut3.htm
Apathy Now!