Looking for a QC coder

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
GiffE

Post by GiffE »

IlDucci wrote:Err... is it just me, or people are thinking on different things? There's two halo projects for the PSP, Jomart Halo's and the one this topic is about, Halo Solitude. Don't mix one with the other.
Its quite clearly halo solitude, I do not see anyone even mentioning any other halo project. Even so it does not change anything really the point of:
MauveBib wrote:It's not about getting caught, it's about the ethics of copying IP in the first place.
still applies.

Sam, I'm quite sure you should be able to learn to qc and code the project yourself. There are quite a bit of tutorials here on this site, and people willing to answer questions.
r00k

Post by r00k »

True. I was a bit under the beer in my 1st post, but there are time people come in here and show off a video and say finish my project. :| Despite any IP infringement it could be a good freeware PSP mod.
-z-

Post by -z- »

As an old school halo addict, I was quite impressed with the replica models, down to the animations.
Nexuiz Ninjaz - Practicing the ninja arts of Nexuiz | Happy 1 Year Ninjaz! - Mapping Contest to celebrate!
Downsider

Post by Downsider »

r00k wrote:True. I was a bit under the beer in my 1st post, but there are time people come in here and show off a video and say finish my project. :| Despite any IP infringement it could be a good freeware PSP mod.
I didn't say anything, I was smart enough to acknowledge the disclaimer <3
SamUK

Post by SamUK »

r00k wrote:True. I was a bit under the beer in my 1st post, but there are time people come in here and show off a video and say finish my project. :| Despite any IP infringement it could be a good freeware PSP mod.
Well i should have read the disclaimer :P.
-z- wrote:As an old school halo addict, I was quite impressed with the replica models, down to the animations.
Thanks , I thought we were doing a good job , thats why i got on the defensive when r00k said the art wasn't that good.
GiffE wrote: Sam, I'm quite sure you should be able to learn to qc and code the project yourself. There are quite a bit of tutorials here on this site, and people willing to answer questions.
Well to be honest we will need an experianced coder .Reasons being that we , the team, want to add quite alot into the quake engine:

-Radar
-More Halo-Esque movement
-Some kind of video codec for cut scene's
-Half-Life MDL Format (for smaller file size)
-Clientside movement prediction
-Vehicles
And some more stuff.

We have already done quite alot but as downsider left ,we need the above doing. This is what we have so far ;

-Re-worked GUI (Performance and RAM saved, smoother movement)
-All guns we have modeled.
-Sword
-Grenades
-Melee
-Reloading
-Regenerating Health
-TGA Support
Working on Solitude
MauveBib

Post by MauveBib »

SamUK wrote: -Radar
-Vehicles
And some more stuff.
- Radar - Not too hard; there are tutorials available (I believe there are ones on this site).

-Movement - Howso? Slower movement speed or what?

-Video codec - Engine code, not qc

-Half Life MDL - Engine code, not qc

-Clientside movement prediction - Engine code, not qc

- Vehicles - Extremely hard to pull off well in the quake engine.
Apathy Now!
Downsider

Post by Downsider »

MauveBib wrote:
SamUK wrote: -Radar
-Vehicles
And some more stuff.
- Radar - Not too hard; there are tutorials available (I believe there are ones on this site).

-Movement - Howso? Slower movement speed or what?

-Video codec - Engine code, not qc

-Half Life MDL - Engine code, not qc

-Clientside movement prediction - Engine code, not qc

- Vehicles - Extremely hard to pull off well in the quake engine.
While you're correcting people, why not say that radar would be done in the engine code with some parts in QC?
Baker

Post by Baker »

SamUK wrote:Well to be honest we will need an experianced coder .Reasons being that we , the team, want to add quite alot into the quake engine:

-Radar
-Vehicles
And some more stuff.

We have already done quite alot but as downsider left ,we need the above doing. This is what we have so far ;

-Re-worked GUI (Performance and RAM saved, smoother movement)
-All guns we have modeled.
-Sword
-Grenades
-Melee
-Reloading
-Regenerating Health
-TGA Support
I've got an idea that I'll post in here a few hours that you might find very pleasing.

Unfortunately, I don't have time at the moment to lay it out (I gotta run), but it represents about the ultimate win-win.

More in 3-4 hours ...
MauveBib

Post by MauveBib »

Downsider wrote:
While you're correcting people, why not say that radar would be done in the engine code with some parts in QC?
I'm not correcting, I'm offering advice. What's your problem?

Radar is perfectly capable of being done in pure QC with no engine code involvement, either sprite/model based or centerprint based.
Apathy Now!
SamUK

Post by SamUK »

I am not a coder so i wouldnt really know what can be done with what , thanks for the heads up anyway.
Baker wrote:
I've got an idea that I'll post in here a few hours that you might find very pleasing.

Unfortunately, I don't have time at the moment to lay it out (I gotta run), but it represents about the ultimate win-win.

More in 3-4 hours ...
Oh , cool. Ill be waiting. :wink:
Working on Solitude
Downsider

Post by Downsider »

MauveBib wrote:
Downsider wrote:
I'm not correcting, I'm offering advice. What's your problem?

Radar is perfectly capable of being done in pure QC with no engine code involvement, either sprite/model based or centerprint based.
I thought you couldn't draw directly to the screen in QC? Also, centerprint wouldn't really scream out Halo.
MauveBib

Post by MauveBib »

Downsider wrote: I thought you couldn't draw directly to the screen in QC? Also, centerprint wouldn't really scream out Halo.
You dont need to draw directly on the screen, you use sprites and models.

See the radar in KQP for an example.

The centerprint thing was just because I happen to have coded a centerprint radar :p
Apathy Now!
Baker

Post by Baker »

SamUK wrote:Oh , cool. Ill be waiting. :wink:
The short version goes like this. The setup ...

1. I like a number of your ideas and planned to do some of them anyway. Radar, vehicles, quake 1 .mdl sucks, prediction, etc.

2. One problem many Quake coders have is a lack of non-Quake models for total conversions. Coders generally aren't modelers and this often crops up as a big problem and some us have to use Ogres and rocket launchers (yay!) in mods or example merely because there isn't too much else to use.

My idea is this. Again this is the short version and there is a ton of logic behind this, but I discovered trying to cram the detailed explanation into a single post was futile.

The idea:

1. I'd volunteer to help with concrete and well-defined goals on the engine side. This includes radar (your team would need to provide the media), cut scene support and vehicles. Prediction as well but this would take longer [2-3 months min, 6-7 months max] because I've haven't had time to deconstruct the network code yet.

Half-Life model support is in a very gray area. I don't know if it could be done, nor if it could not be done.

However, the PSP is a wildcard is in the above. A Windows version would be fine and I could examine the differences between the Windows and PSP versions to try to understand the PSP limitations and the 3d api, but I wouldn't be able to compile it (I don't think).

2. The QuakeC --- aka the Quake game logic -- is different than the engine. You'd still need someone for that ... maybe. My guess is that you would ... but that would probably be eased a little by #3, #4, #5.

3. The modding community [coders] could really use a small set of decent GPL (free) models to help ease some of the coder projects that are forced to use "Ogres and Rocket Launchers" into something at least a little more imaginative and if there were 4-6 GPL models -- like say a couple of quality guns, a vehicle, etc. -- that'd really ease some of the problems here.

And then you could tap into that good will, a lot of people would be really grateful, and maybe greatly ease the QuakeC (game logic) side of things.

4. I don't know if you guys have considered this, but you should really made the mod (the QuakeC) open source. First, it makes it easier to get help because no awkward situations where coder #2 would like to help but coder #1 has to say "Well, I'm not allowed to give you the source". Open source speeds up things greatly, make development easier and coders look more highly on a project in general.

5. You knew this was coming ... you guys *really* need to rename the project to something like "Solitude -- a Halo inspired game for the PSP". You've probably seen some occasional derision here and there due to the name, but among developers it worse and ones that don't know better immediately think you are either "13 year old boys" or "barbarians". You aren't, I've seen some of your stuff and your thoughts. But most people won't look past the impression a name gives. The reality is that companies are required to defend trademarks to keep them. You guys want to be successful. If you are, you know what is likely to happen. Save time, earn respect and do it now. You've already milked the Halo name for attention.

You don't need attention anymore, what you need is extra help to facilitate getting your project done .. not an initial resistance by anyone that sees the name of your project.

This is one idea for your consideration. Regardless of whether or not you like the above, I will probably be writing tutorials for a couple of things you'd like, but I think if you guys took the steps above to "integrate" to the norms of the existing Quake modder community, you might find at least some things easier than you imagined.

/End of book-long post. I tried to keep it short.

/P.S. A QuakeC radar would look like donkey balls.
SamUK

Post by SamUK »

Well ill get back to you on everything in a bit , but ill certainly model stuff if anyone needs , maybe open a "request a model thread" ?

I am trying to improve my modeling skills.
Working on Solitude
Baker

Post by Baker »

SamUK wrote:Well ill get back to you on everything in a bit , but ill certainly model stuff if anyone needs , maybe open a "request a model thread" ?

I am trying to improve my modeling skills.
Most coders are stuck with whatever models they have, but like you guys care greatly about their projects. I think a way where everyone can get some stuff they need would be a big win-win.

Even for pure knowledge projects, for instance, I'd really like to work on integrating some sort of vehicle support into Quake. But I don't have a vehicle. I could "take" one from an existing mod, but then that gets into distribution problems because it isn't mine, for instance.

Another way this kind of thing could be a big win-win, let's say next week I have a good automatically or easily generated radar system.

Well, it still needs live testing in a real mod. So actually you guys using it would help everyone out by giving an idea reduced to code some real world testing and feedback.

Same goes for a lot of these things.