Any engine capable of "good" rotating doors-func_r

Discuss programming topics for the various GPL'd game engine sources.
Baker

Any engine capable of "good" rotating doors-func_r

Post by Baker »

Is DarkPlaces or FTE capable of decent rotating doors in the Quake 1 map format?

I always liked the rotating doors in Half-Life, the func_rotate_doors made available in hipnotic aren't really that good and require a lot of entities on the map side and the end result doesn't feel very authentic.

[In the quake engine source, there is some "#ifdef Quake2" code in the physics that seem to imply there might be way to do a modified build with better rotating doors but it would probably take me a while to figure out all the pieces of even trying it (the map, the QuakeC, the engine).]
Spike

Post by Spike »

Both FTE and Darkplaces support properly rotating doors, yes.

Note: You need to use avelocity on the doors in order to get them to push things. If you just change the angles you'll end up with things getting stuck inside.
Note2: MOVETYPE_PUSH is weird as standard.

A q1bsp hull can't be rotated properly. However the trace can. And this is the method that FTE and I assume DP both use. So if you have a door that rotates down to crush players or stuff like that, be aware that you may need a playerclip texture thingie under the bottom of it.
Baker

Post by Baker »

Thanks for info, I'll have to try it something then.